public share on PDC - SMB

This is a discussion on public share on PDC - SMB ; Hello everybody out there, for some reasons I need share that is readable for users that are not authenticated (guest). I'm wondering if that is not possible on a samba 3.0 server configured as PDC. guest ok = yes dosn't ...

  1. public share on PDC

    Hello everybody out there,

    for some reasons I need share that is readable for users that are not
    authenticated (guest). I'm wondering if that is not possible on a samba
    3.0 server configured as PDC.

    guest ok = yes

    dosn't work.

    Any suggestions?

    Regards Carsten

  2. Re: public share on PDC

    "Carsten John" wrote in message
    > Hello everybody out there,
    >
    > for some reasons I need share that is readable for users that are not
    > authenticated (guest). I'm wondering if that is not possible on a samba
    > 3.0 server configured as PDC.
    >
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > dosn't work.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    In a domain environment, I don't think you can get access to anything unless
    you logon. The nature of the setup.

    What you could do is run two Sambas on the same system. One as the PDC and
    one with security = share. You should be able to access the latter without
    credentials under the guest account. See here for configuring the two
    Sambas.

    http://www.digitalmapping.sk.ca/Netw...amba%20PDC.htm

    The conf file for the second instance of samba would be:

    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = ISHAREASY
    security = SHARE

    [Resource Files]
    path = /home/resource-files
    read only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes

    You could have the same share on the PDC with writable = Yes so that you can
    add files.

    *note* The second instance of Samba also needs separate smbpasswd and
    secrets.tdb files in it's own /private directory which is different then the
    documentation on the dual samba page.

+ Reply to Thread