XP home networking query - SMB

This is a discussion on XP home networking query - SMB ; After upgrading one of my 2 windows boxes ("paris") from '98 to XP (the other ("picard") already has been running XP for a while), I've hit a snag with the file-sharing. Firstly, it's evident that under XP home M$ have ...

  1. XP home networking query

    After upgrading one of my 2 windows boxes ("paris") from '98 to XP (the
    other ("picard") already has been running XP for a while), I've hit a
    snag with the file-sharing.

    Firstly, it's evident that under XP home M$ have made things less secure
    - '98 offered sharing controlled by password which seems to have gone.
    Also accessing shares across the LAN seems very slow compared to win98.
    I don't suppose there's any way of restoring the old, better imo,
    behaviour?

    Worse though is that something is messed up with (presumably) file
    permissions. Picard has a share (\\picard\dumps) that works as expected
    - it has write permissions set and I can access it and subfolders from
    paris and from a FreeBSD/samba3 machine -- in fact I use it to hold
    dumps from the latter.

    However, when I try to export a share from paris, although the share is
    visible from both picard and the fbsd box, and the share is mountable,
    there are permissions problems with the individual folders within. I've
    set "C:\Documents and Settings" as shared in order to peform a network
    dump: however the individual user folders in it are not accessible - I
    get "you might not have permission to use.... contact the network admin"
    (ie me: & I'm stumped!!). OTOH the 'All Users' folder is readable but
    not writeable within the share, as is "Default User". I'm not aware of
    having done anything different between the two machines, except that
    paris is running a newer release of XP than picard.

    Any ideas please???

  2. Re: XP home networking query

    Mike Scott wrote:

    > After upgrading one of my 2 windows boxes ("paris") from '98 to XP (the
    > other ("picard") already has been running XP for a while), I've hit a
    > snag with the file-sharing.
    >
    > Firstly, it's evident that under XP home M$ have made things less secure
    > - '98 offered sharing controlled by password which seems to have gone.

    It"s the "HOME" edition. Well, you do have identical logons on both
    machines? So you are authenticated through logon, and that credentials are
    transferred when trying to open a share.

    > Also accessing shares across the LAN seems very slow compared to win98.
    > I don't suppose there's any way of restoring the old, better imo,
    > behaviour?

    Disable the "web(dav) client service". XP otherwise tries to connect to
    another pc first using that, and waits for the timeout.

    > Worse though is that something is messed up with (presumably) file
    > permissions. Picard has a share (\\picard\dumps) that works as expected
    > - it has write permissions set and I can access it and subfolders from
    > paris and from a FreeBSD/samba3 machine -- in fact I use it to hold
    > dumps from the latter.
    >
    > However, when I try to export a share from paris, although the share is
    > visible from both picard and the fbsd box, and the share is mountable,
    > there are permissions problems with the individual folders within. I've

    Individual "private" folders are not configured for sharing. Guess in XP
    home there is no "privileges" setting available to correct this, except you
    logon as "the" administrator which only is possible ("HOME") in safe mode.
    > Any ideas please???

    When it comes to advanced networking or when you want to (play with) domain
    logons, you have to bite the bullet and upgrade to PRO, unless you want
    clumsy workarounds everywhere. Or use Linux .
    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread