samba 3.0.11, security=server and smbpasswd as fallback - SMB

This is a discussion on samba 3.0.11, security=server and smbpasswd as fallback - SMB ; Hi, with samba 2.2.12 a user was able to connect to a share with his local smbpasswd if he had no user on the password server. I updated the server to 3.0.11 and this is not working anymore. I kept ...

  1. samba 3.0.11, security=server and smbpasswd as fallback

    Hi,

    with samba 2.2.12 a user was able to connect to a share with his local
    smbpasswd if he had no user on the password server. I updated the server
    to 3.0.11 and this is not working anymore. I kept the config files and
    the smbpasswd file. The smb.conf man page describes old behavior, but if
    the password server rejects the password the connection gets terminated
    with NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.

    Any ideas?

    Ralf

  2. Re: samba 3.0.11, security=server and smbpasswd as fallback

    In article ,
    Ralf Gross wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >with samba 2.2.12 a user was able to connect to a share with his local
    >smbpasswd if he had no user on the password server. I updated the server
    >to 3.0.11 and this is not working anymore. I kept the config files and
    >the smbpasswd file. The smb.conf man page describes old behavior, but if
    >the password server rejects the password the connection gets terminated
    >with NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Ralf

    I ran into this too. I have been intending to file a bug report for about
    9 months now, but I never get around to it. I don't suppose that this will
    get fixed until someone reports the problem. I ended up adding accounts
    to the password server to mostly work around this.
    --
    Tom Schulz
    schulz@adi.com

  3. Re: samba 3.0.11, security=server and smbpasswd as fallback

    Thomas Schulz wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Ralf Gross wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>with samba 2.2.12 a user was able to connect to a share with his local
    >>smbpasswd if he had no user on the password server. I updated the server
    >>to 3.0.11 and this is not working anymore. I kept the config files and
    >>the smbpasswd file. The smb.conf man page describes old behavior, but if
    >>the password server rejects the password the connection gets terminated
    >>with NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>

    > I ran into this too. I have been intending to file a bug report for about
    > 9 months now, but I never get around to it. I don't suppose that this will
    > get fixed until someone reports the problem. I ended up adding accounts
    > to the password server to mostly work around this.

    I posted this to the samba ML too. I got the following answer:

    > Gerald (Jerry) Carter
    >
    > Fallover to the next auth method only occurs when the current
    > auth method (e.g. the remote server) returns
    > NT_STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED I think. This is by design.
    >
    > You'll have better luck setting
    >
    > 'auth methods = guest sam_ignoredomain smbserver'
    >
    > But I rarely ever recommend setting the 'auth methods' parameter.
    > So keep that in mind.
    >
    > This will authenticate first against the smbpasswd and
    > the fall over to server authentication if the user is
    > not listed in the smbpasswd file.

    I tried this today and it seems to work.

    I have still a few other problems with samba 3.x. But I hope that I
    can solve these problems until end of the week.

    Ralf

+ Reply to Thread