Old password keeps working?? - SMB

This is a discussion on Old password keeps working?? - SMB ; I'm having a strange issue. I change the password via smbpasswd and also made sure to change it in my local Linux account with passwd. Both returned success. Yet when I try to access the network share from my Windows ...

  1. Old password keeps working??

    I'm having a strange issue. I change the password via smbpasswd and also
    made sure to change it in my local Linux account with passwd. Both returned
    success. Yet when I try to access the network share from my Windows box,
    the new password never works, but the old one does. I've tried restarting
    both servers and that didn't do any good. What is wrong here?

    Here's the output for updating my passwords:

    [root@localhost samba]# smbpasswd aspnet
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    [root@localhost samba]# passwd aspnet
    Changing password for user aspnet.
    New UNIX password:
    Retype new UNIX password:
    passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

  2. Re: Old password keeps working??

    Shabam wrote:
    > I'm having a strange issue. I change the password via smbpasswd and also
    > made sure to change it in my local Linux account with passwd. Both returned
    > success. Yet when I try to access the network share from my Windows box,
    > the new password never works, but the old one does. I've tried restarting
    > both servers and that didn't do any good. What is wrong here?
    >
    > Here's the output for updating my passwords:
    >
    > [root@localhost samba]# smbpasswd aspnet
    > New SMB password:
    > Retype new SMB password:
    > [root@localhost samba]# passwd aspnet
    > Changing password for user aspnet.
    > New UNIX password:
    > Retype new UNIX password:

    Can you log in on the samba machine as aspnet with the
    new or the old password?

    Maybe you should raise the loglevel in smb.conf and watch
    the logfile created when you map the drive.

    Do you have NIS running?

    Mogens

    Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
    Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

+ Reply to Thread