I'm experiencing what seems to be exactly the same problem. Something gives
me the hint this might be a long lasting bug or undocumented configuration
with SAMBA. There are postings from as long as 2001 and since samba 1.9.x.
I've been around this for a very long time now and now solution seems to be
available on the internet. Have now seen over 50+ different messages from as
many other users with the same problem and with no workable solution
whatsoever.

Let us first identify if the problem is the same.
I'm sorry for some incorrections I will certainly make but I'm posting from
an workstation without access to the linux box.

1a - With 'log level = 4', do you get a message in log.nmbd that states
something like:
UNICAST_SUBNET domain controler UNKNOWN ?
1b - Is this case, does the UNICAST_SUBNET value appear as 127.0.0.1 OR as
the physical address of the interface (ex: 192.168.0.100)?
2 - Are you unable to do a sucessfull 'nmblookup
ANY_MACHINE_THAT_NOT_THE_SERVER' though its record appears in wins.dat?

My guess is this is the case and we're upon a problem for which a bug report
should be posted. I never posted one but I would like to have some adicional
information from users having the same problem to make it the easier to
resolve as possible.

EVERY HELP WILL BE NEEDED FOR THIS IS A VERY LONG LASTING PROBLEM.

Best Regards,

Pedro Rebello de Andrade
CIDREIRA - Sistemas de Informação, Lda
PORTUGAL

Kurt M Peters (nospampeterskurt@msn.com) wrote:

Hi. I've been reading through most material I can find and have little luck
fixing my problem.
In my case:
Domain: valhala
samba (PDC) machine: loki (Suse 9.2 smbclient ver 3.0.9-2.1) - 192.168.1.88
XP Pro machine: thor

Unfortunately, I cannot get thor to log into the domain. Thor can "see" the
shares and I can swap files etc. when working in "workgroup mode".
I cannot get it to join the domain when I change the name/domain. I get the
message:
"A DOMAIN controller for Valhala could not be contacted".
I tried to keep things simple and use smbpass and am including my smb.conf.
I believe I set up the machine accounts and mapped accounts correctly.

Please help, as I've been toiling with this for some time now.
[global]
workgroup = VALHALA
server string = %h on VALHALA
netbios name = LOKI
hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
local master = yes
map to guest = Bad User
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
printcap cache time = 750
printcap name = cups
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g nogroup -c "NT Machine Account" -s
/bin/false %m\$
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -C %g %u
logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
logon drive = P:
logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
domain logons = Yes