Samba with LDAP HP-UX 11.00 - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba with LDAP HP-UX 11.00 - SMB ; I'm currently running Samba version 3.0.10 on HP-UX 11.00, built from source. I would like to setup access to our Novell LDAP server for user authentication. Has anyone done this before?...

  1. Samba with LDAP HP-UX 11.00

    I'm currently running Samba version 3.0.10 on HP-UX 11.00, built from
    source.

    I would like to setup access to our Novell LDAP server for user
    authentication. Has anyone done this before?

  2. Re: Samba with LDAP HP-UX 11.00

    I have done this before though with *not* exactly the same combination
    you're asking about.

    First of all, HP does have an officially supported Samba 3.0 product called
    HP CIFS Server A.02.01, though their latest 3.0 version is based on an older
    rev, Samba 3.0.7. Also, it's only supported for HPUX 11.11 and HPUX 11.23.
    However, using the "allow_incompatible=true" option to the swinstall
    command, you can install the 11.11 version on 11.00. The depot can be
    downloaded for free from
    http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepo...Number=B8725AA

    Here are what I perceive to be the salient points of using Samba 3.0 and the
    Novell LDAP server.

    1)The schema on your Novell LDAP has to be extended to include the new 3.0
    objectclass called "sambaSamAccount", and a few other objects. The official
    HP depot includes an LDIF file called 98samba3.ldif, which contains the
    definitions for the new attributes and objectclasses. I've only extended the
    schema for a Netscape Directory Server and so I'm not sure how you do this
    on Novell.

    2) On the HPUX 11.00 system, you need to install the LDAP-UX integration
    product, more specifically, the LDAP client. This is again available for
    free in the following HP website.
    http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepo...Number=J4269AA
    You then need to configure the LDAP-UX client by running the
    /opt/ldapux/config/setup shell script.

    3)On the HPUX 11.00 system, you also need to configure the nsswitch and PAM
    modules. This could be as simple as copying /etc/nsswitch.ldap ->
    /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/pam.ldap -> /etc/pam.conf.

    4) Lastly, you obviously need to configure the Samba server via the smb.conf
    file, including parameters like "passdb backend" to make it point to the
    Novell NDS server, e.g. "passdb backend = ldap:ldapsam://", and
    various other LDAP parameters.

    Hope this helps.

    "Mr. Bungle" wrote in message
    news:1106260368.889596.274810@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm currently running Samba version 3.0.10 on HP-UX 11.00, built from
    > source.
    >
    > I would like to setup access to our Novell LDAP server for user
    > authentication. Has anyone done this before?

+ Reply to Thread