Samba machine name / computer appears twice... - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba machine name / computer appears twice... - SMB ; Hi. I've recently set up a Redhat7.3 machine to add to our network as an intranet server. Everything has gone smoothly, except for the machine name displayed using samba. I was initially frustrated to find that when viewing 'all workgroup ...

  1. Samba machine name / computer appears twice...

    Hi.

    I've recently set up a Redhat7.3 machine to add to our network as an
    intranet server. Everything has gone smoothly, except for the machine
    name displayed using samba.
    I was initially frustrated to find that when viewing 'all workgroup
    computers' through Windows XP, my Redhat machine appeared with the name
    'localhost'. I wanted it to be 'Intranet'.

    I've now done a bit of searching round these groups, and found that
    adding ...
    netbois name = Intranet
    .... to my smb.conf file might solve my issue.

    However, now my machine appear twice. Once as 'Localhost' and once as
    'Intranet'. Arrrgh!!

    Could someone explain to me where the machine name is derrived from
    when using samba??

    Thanks in advance for your time & patience.
    Ollie.

  2. Re: Samba machine name / computer appears twice...

    wrote in message
    news:1105960967.165457.96380@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've recently set up a Redhat7.3 machine to add to our network as an
    > intranet server. Everything has gone smoothly, except for the machine
    > name displayed using samba.
    > I was initially frustrated to find that when viewing 'all workgroup
    > computers' through Windows XP, my Redhat machine appeared with the name
    > 'localhost'. I wanted it to be 'Intranet'.
    >
    > I've now done a bit of searching round these groups, and found that
    > adding ...
    > netbois name = Intranet
    > ... to my smb.conf file might solve my issue.
    >
    > However, now my machine appear twice. Once as 'Localhost' and once as
    > 'Intranet'. Arrrgh!!
    >
    > Could someone explain to me where the machine name is derrived from
    > when using samba??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your time & patience.
    > Ollie.

    You have it correct. The name "Internet" was registered with the local
    master browser and will take a while to disappear. You can make it disappear
    by restarting Samba on the system that is the local master browser. This
    will cause browse list to be rebuilt. You can find the local master browser
    with the command:

    nmblookup -M workgroup

    where workgroup is the name of your workgroup.

+ Reply to Thread