Upgrading Samba from 2.x to 3.x - SMB

This is a discussion on Upgrading Samba from 2.x to 3.x - SMB ; Hi there, I have a default Samba 2.x installation on a suse 8.1 system. Now I would like to upgrade to the newest samba version. Therefore I have downloaded 3 samba rmp packages (client, .so, samba) after doing: SARATOGA:/data1/install # ...

  1. Upgrading Samba from 2.x to 3.x

    Hi there,

    I have a default Samba 2.x installation on a suse 8.1 system.

    Now I would like to upgrade to the newest samba version. Therefore I have
    downloaded 3 samba rmp packages (client, .so, samba)

    after doing:
    SARATOGA:/data1/install # rpm -i attr-2.4.2-68.i586.rpm

    I do get a:
    file /lib/libattr.so.1 from install of attr-2.4.2-68 conflicts with file from
    package attr-2.0.11-6

    How can I do an easy upgrade of my running installation. I am a bit lost here.

    Thank you for any help,

    Merlin

  2. Re: Upgrading Samba from 2.x to 3.x

    Merlin wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a default Samba 2.x installation on a suse 8.1 system.
    >
    > Now I would like to upgrade to the newest samba version. Therefore I
    > have downloaded 3 samba rmp packages (client, .so, samba)
    >
    > after doing:
    > SARATOGA:/data1/install # rpm -i attr-2.4.2-68.i586.rpm
    >
    > I do get a:
    > file /lib/libattr.so.1 from install of attr-2.4.2-68 conflicts with file
    > from package attr-2.0.11-6

    You should do an upgrade (-U), not install (-i).
    Or better, a freshen (-F), so that you don't install
    a package unless an old version already is installed.

    And you should upgrade all the packages at the same time, i.e.
    do:

    rpm -Fvh attr*.rpm samba*.rpm

    If you upgrade one rpm at a time, you could run into
    dependency problems.

    Mogens
    Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
    Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

+ Reply to Thread