Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup - SMB

This is a discussion on Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup - SMB ; I have a pretty simply home LAN with a Linux box (Mandrake 9.1) and 2 XP boxes. The workgroup is named UNIVERSE and the machines are earth (Linux), voyager (XP) and starbase (XP). (smb.conf has security=user). Voyager can browse over ...

  1. Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    I have a pretty simply home LAN with a Linux box (Mandrake 9.1) and 2 XP
    boxes. The workgroup is named UNIVERSE and the machines are earth
    (Linux), voyager (XP) and starbase (XP). (smb.conf has security=user).

    Voyager can browse over to \\earth\share no problem. Recently I
    connected starbase to my LAN using a wireless router. When on starbase I
    cannot browse to \\earth\share. When I do so I get prompted for a
    username/password. No username/password works however!

    Now I realize that in this situation with no domain control a user named
    voyager\foo is not considered the same as starbase\foo. However how can
    I get them both to be able to use \\earth\share?

    BTW: Starbase used to be able to browse to \\earth\share before. Voyager
    is a new XP box and replaced Starbase.

    Any ideas would be helpful.

    Thanks.
    --
    Wanted: Meaningful overnight relationship.

  2. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    >"Andrew DeFaria" wrote in message
    >I have a pretty simply home LAN with a Linux box (Mandrake 9.1) and 2 XP
    >boxes. The workgroup is named UNIVERSE and >the machines are earth (Linux),
    >voyager (XP) and starbase (XP). (smb.conf has security=user).
    >
    >Voyager can browse over to \\earth\share no problem. Recently I connected
    >starbase to my LAN using a wireless router. When >on starbase I cannot
    >browse to \\earth\share. When I do so I get prompted for a
    >username/password. No username/password >works however!
    >
    >Now I realize that in this situation with no domain control a user named
    >voyager\foo is not considered the same as starbase\foo. >However how can I
    >get them both to be able to use \\earth\share?
    >
    >BTW: Starbase used to be able to browse to \\earth\share before. Voyager is
    >a new XP box and replaced Starbase.
    >
    >Any ideas would be helpful.

    The user foo will work as long as it has the same pasword on all the
    systems.

  3. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >>> "Andrew DeFaria" wrote in message
    >>> I have a pretty simply home LAN with a Linux box (Mandrake 9.1) and
    >>> 2 XP boxes. The workgroup is named UNIVERSE and >the machines are
    >>> earth (Linux), voyager (XP) and starbase (XP). (smb.conf has
    >>> security=user).
    >>>
    >>> Voyager can browse over to \\earth\share no problem. Recently I
    >>> connected starbase to my LAN using a wireless router. When >on
    >>> starbase I cannot browse to \\earth\share. When I do so I get
    >>> prompted for a username/password. No username/password >works however!
    >>>
    >>> Now I realize that in this situation with no domain control a user
    >>> named voyager\foo is not considered the same as starbase\foo.
    >>>
    >>> BTW: Starbase used to be able to browse to \\earth\share before.
    >>> Voyager is a new XP box and replaced Starbase.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas would be helpful.

    >> The user foo will work as long as it has the same pasword on all the
    >> systems.

    > But foo does have the same password on all 3 systems! On the XP
    > systems it's actually not foo, rather my name, with a space. On the
    > Linux system it's just andrew. I use smbusers to map the XP username
    > -> andrew on the Linux box. And remember, Voyager can connect,
    > Starbase can't.

    A little more info. Trying to follow the instructions at
    http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html.

    When I do nmblookup -B voyager "*" I get:

    Earth:nmblookup -B voyager "*"
    querying * on 192.168.1.100
    192.168.1.100 *<00>

    However when I do it for starbase:

    Earth:nmblookup -B starbase "*"
    querying * on 192.168.1.102
    name_query failed to find name *

    I have starbase in both /etc/hosts and /etc/samba/lmhosts pointing to
    192.168.1.102. I've also tried completely turnning of the XP SP2
    firewall on Starbase - didn't help.

    Ideas?
    --
    If it's zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be twice as cold
    tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?

  4. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    "Andrew DeFaria" wrote in message newsmIFd.1806$m31.21204@typhoon.sonic.net...
    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    m.marien wrote:
[...]

  5. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    When I do nmblookup -B voyager "*" I get:

    Earth:nmblookup -B voyager "*"
    querying * on 192.168.1.100
    192.168.1.100 *<00>

    However when I do it for starbase:

    Earth:nmblookup -B starbase "*"
    querying * on 192.168.1.102
    name_query failed to find name *

    I have starbase in both /etc/hosts and /etc/samba/lmhosts pointing to
    192.168.1.102. I've also tried completely turnning of the XP SP2 firewall on
    Starbase - didn't help.

    Looks like a connection problem. Do you know for sure that the wireless
    connection works? Can you ping any of the other systems from startbase
    (although the nmblookup tells you there is no connection).

    I would check the IP address of startbase first. From the command line of
    starbase:

    C:>\ipconfig

    This will display the IP address. Then from earth try:

    $nmblookup -A IPaddress

    or

    $ping IPaddress

    A failure will indicate the connection is not working.

  6. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    m.marien wrote:

    > Looks like a connection problem. Do you know for sure that the
    > wireless connection works?

    Yes. I can get out to the Internet as well as over to both the other XP
    box and the Linux box. I use Cygwin on my XP boxes and regularly use
    things like ssh to go from one machine to another. For example:

    Earth:ssh voyager
    Last login: Mon Jan 17 09:18:59 2005 from :0
    Voyager:ssh starbase
    Last login: Fri Jan 14 11:37:01 2005 from earth
    Starbase:ssh earth
    Earth:

    > Can you ping any of the other systems from startbase

    Sure:

    Starbaseing voyager

    Pinging voyager [192.168.1.100] with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
    Starbaseing earth

    Pinging earth [192.168.1.101] with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
    Starbase:

    > (although the nmblookup tells you there is no connection).

    No, nmblookup is telling me it cannot find the NetBIOS record for
    Starbase, right?

    > I would check the IP address of startbase first. From the command line
    > of starbase:
    >
    > C:>\ipconfig

    Starbase:ipconfig

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Internet:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    > This will display the IP address. Then from earth try:
    >
    > $nmblookup -A IPaddress

    Interesting:

    Earth:nmblookup -A 192.168.1.102
    Looking up status of 192.168.1.102
    STARBASE <00> - B
    STARBASE <20> - B
    UNIVERSE <00> - B
    UNIVERSE <1e> - B

    What's this mean?

    > or
    >
    > $ping IPaddress

    Earthing 192.168.1.102
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=4.48 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=3.32 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=3.38 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=4.48 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=5 ttl=128 time=4.48 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=6 ttl=128 time=4.61 ms

    --- 192.168.1.102 ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5054ms

    > A failure will indicate the connection is not working.

    No failures that I see, ergo the connection is working. However this is
    still failing:

    Earth:nmblookup -B 192.168.1.102 "*"
    querying * on 192.168.1.102
    name_query failed to find name *

    As well as not being able to browse the Samba shares nor mount network
    drives from Starbase.
    --
    Nebraska: At least the cows are sane.

  7. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like a connection problem. Do you know for sure that the
    >> wireless connection works?

    > Yes. I can get out to the Internet as well as over to both the other XP
    > box and the Linux box. I use Cygwin on my XP boxes and regularly use
    > things like ssh to go from one machine to another. For example:

    [snip]

    >> This will display the IP address. Then from earth try:
    >>
    >> $nmblookup -A IPaddress

    > Interesting:
    >
    > Earth:nmblookup -A 192.168.1.102
    > Looking up status of 192.168.1.102
    > STARBASE <00> - B
    > STARBASE <20> - B
    > UNIVERSE <00> - B
    > UNIVERSE <1e> - B
    >
    > What's this mean?

    That the connection is working. Same as a ping.

    [snip]

    >> A failure will indicate the connection is not working.

    > No failures that I see, ergo the connection is working. However this is
    > still failing:
    >
    > Earth:nmblookup -B 192.168.1.102 "*"
    > querying * on 192.168.1.102
    > name_query failed to find name *

    This should return all the registered names withing the broadcast area. Your
    broadcast area being the single IP address 192.168.1.102. The name
    resolution is the function of nmbd (which appears to be working) whereas the
    services is a function of smbd. Check to see if they are running.

    [root@wysenburg mm]# ps -A | grep mbd
    26594 ? 00:00:02 smbd
    26595 ? 00:00:00 smbd
    26599 ? 00:02:39 nmbd

    You should get one nmbd and possible several smbd daemons running.

    The other possibility is that you have a firewall on Starbase blocking the
    smb ports.

  8. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    In article <10uiicalpgk3a55@corp.supernews.com>
    m.marien wrote:

    >Looks like a connection problem. Do you know for sure that the wireless
    >connection works? Can you ping any of the other systems from startbase
    >(although the nmblookup tells you there is no connection).

    Not that in response to f4j is no such right in the neighborhood of 12
    14 per mailbox per month.

    >I would check the IP address of startbase first. From the command line of
    >starbase:

    il tatto libero installare una collezione per il ya per circa 20 anni
    ora ruba

    >This will display the IP address. Then from earth try:

    vous victoire

    >or

    Paramore

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "How can a bot be a tranny, dumbass?" -- Peter Hood

  9. Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

    In article <10v4staoohr3pd1@corp.supernews.com>
    m.marien wrote:

    >That the connection is working. Same as a ping.

    You were doing it under my pillow.

    >You should get one nmbd and possible several smbd daemons running.

    f?algu?agradecimentos justos da palavra

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "This isn't being generated by a human is it?" -- Meat-->Plow

+ Reply to Thread