Writing SMB windows messenger - SMB

This is a discussion on Writing SMB windows messenger - SMB ; Hi, Im a new to SMB, I know very little about it. Ive been writing a program to wrap the windows net send messages, which right now just captures the window handle of a net send message and adds it ...

  1. Writing SMB windows messenger

    Hi,

    Im a new to SMB, I know very little about it.

    Ive been writing a program to wrap the windows net send messages, which
    right now just captures the window handle of a net send message and
    adds it to a gui application. I would like to go to the next level by
    implementing my own SMB compatible messenger. But I know close to
    nothing about SMB.

    My question is if there is an API (that I can use with visual basic) of
    some kind that can be used to write this. Also I was wondering if there
    was a VB library that I can use to make the interfacing easy.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Writing SMB windows messenger

    Mongoose wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Im a new to SMB, I know very little about it.
    >
    > Ive been writing a program to wrap the windows net send messages, which
    > right now just captures the window handle of a net send message and
    > adds it to a gui application. I would like to go to the next level by
    > implementing my own SMB compatible messenger. But I know close to
    > nothing about SMB.
    >
    > My question is if there is an API (that I can use with visual basic) of
    > some kind that can be used to write this. Also I was wondering if there
    > was a VB library that I can use to make the interfacing easy.

    Read up about Mailslots:
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...u=mailslot&s=1

    Winpopup (9x) and the messenger service under NT/2000/XP uses the mailslot
    "\\COMPUTERNAME\mailslot\messngr".

    To send a message you have to replace "COMPUTERNAME" with the name of the
    destination comuter.

    --
    Karsten Hoffrath

  3. Re: Writing SMB windows messenger

    Thanks Karsten!

    But the problem is that Net Send uses some netBIOS functions and not
    the mailslot, even though you could use the mailslot (this has been
    added for backward compatibility I think).

    What I need to do is to stop the messenger process and start a process
    of my own that can read net sends sent using netBIOS. Basically I want
    to stop those anoying win popups and rerout them to a easy GUI. Ive
    seen some programs do this, and they claim to implement SMB.
    Is there a way to do this?

    Thanks Again!

+ Reply to Thread