Which Samba version is best for SCO 5.0.2 - SMB

This is a discussion on Which Samba version is best for SCO 5.0.2 - SMB ; I recently upgraded Samba from 1.9.18p8 to 2.2.7a on my SCO 5.0.2 server. Now whenever I print from SCO to a windows printer via Samba I get a SCO lp error; "Floating Exception - Core dumped" and the print job ...

  1. Which Samba version is best for SCO 5.0.2

    I recently upgraded Samba from 1.9.18p8 to 2.2.7a on my SCO 5.0.2 server.

    Now whenever I print from SCO to a windows printer via Samba I get a SCO lp
    error;
    "Floating Exception - Core dumped" and the print job takes 5 minutes to
    appear.

    Cannot seem to find reason for this but did notice that the smbclient file
    has increased a lot in size sind the previous verion of 1.9.18p8. In
    desperation I replaced the 2.2.7a version of smbclient with the 1.9.18p8
    version and evertything now seems to work ok, but do not see this as a long
    term fix.
    Using this file my log.smbd file regularly receives errors but they do not
    seem to be impacting on the performance of the system. (other than
    occasional memory leaks)

    Can anyone recommend the most recent version of Samba that has successfully
    worked with SCO 5.0.2 or point me in the direction of a fix to this problem.

    Thanks in anticipation,

    Regards,

    John

  2. Re: Which Samba version is best for SCO 5.0.2

    John Clarke wrote:

    > I recently upgraded Samba from 1.9.18p8 to 2.2.7a on my SCO 5.0.2 server.
    >
    > Now whenever I print from SCO to a windows printer via Samba I get a SCO
    > lp error;
    > "Floating Exception - Core dumped" and the print job takes 5 minutes to
    > appear.

    Get away from SCO ASAP. They will soon be out of business. No more support,
    and still crappy.
    > Can anyone recommend the most recent version of Samba that has
    > successfully worked with SCO 5.0.2 or point me in the direction of a fix
    > to this problem.

    As a temp solution, enable "tcpip print services for unix" on w2k or XP
    boxen and set the service to "auto start". Connect to the lpd server(s)
    from SCO as long as you need to keep it.

    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread