By the Book -- Diagnosing Samba - SMB

This is a discussion on By the Book -- Diagnosing Samba - SMB ; I've installed Samba 2.2.7 on RHL9 and am slowly working my way to getting it to function. Something is still wrong, I believe. I'm following the diagnostic steps outlined in the reference book mentioned in the following paragraph, and the ...

  1. By the Book -- Diagnosing Samba

    I've installed Samba 2.2.7 on RHL9 and am slowly working my way to getting it to
    function. Something is still wrong, I believe. I'm following the diagnostic steps
    outlined in the reference book mentioned in the following paragraph, and the steps
    have identified something is amiss.

    I'm looking at chapter 11, Samba Security and Troubleshooting of the internet book at
    . Just go down the page to chapter 11 (table of
    contents) and click on chapter 11. The books is titled Linux Home Networking. In the
    chapter, in the section a short way down titled Testing Samba Client ..., he gives
    some steps for testing Samba. I've been following them.

    1. smbclient test looks OK to me, but don't see "Anonymous login successful" Probably OK.
    2. nmblookup -B output looks good.
    3. next nmlookup -B with "*" looks good.
    4. nnbloopkup -d 2 "*" gives:
    query on 192.168.0.255 failed to find *.
    I think that's called the subnet mask in the message. I may not have copied the full
    text. My Linux machine is at 192.168.0.1 and the *secondary* mask is 255.255.255.0. I
    have no idea if this should be 192.168.0.255. Something is amiss though.
    5. Pushing ahead. smbclient //astropc /tmp produces (astropc is the hostname):
    tree connection (...?) NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.
    More bad news. I just stopped there.

    Ah, I see in looking at the book the author uses "*" one place and '*' in another. I
    used "*". I'm going to try this again and report back. Comments on 4 or 5?

    Web Page:

  2. Re: By the Book -- Diagnosing Samba

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    news:MvLDd.1061$Ii4.1016@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > I've installed Samba 2.2.7 on RHL9 and am slowly working my way to getting
    > it to function. Something is still wrong, I believe. I'm following the
    > diagnostic steps outlined in the reference book mentioned in the following
    > paragraph, and the steps have identified something is amiss.
    >
    > I'm looking at chapter 11, Samba Security and Troubleshooting of the
    > internet book at . Just go down the
    > page to chapter 11 (table of contents) and click on chapter 11. The books
    > is titled Linux Home Networking. In the chapter, in the section a short
    > way down titled Testing Samba Client ..., he gives some steps for testing
    > Samba. I've been following them.
    >
    > 1. smbclient test looks OK to me, but don't see "Anonymous login
    > successful" Probably OK.

    If you don't type in the password, you will get the anonymous login

    > 2. nmblookup -B output looks good.
    > 3. next nmlookup -B with "*" looks good.
    > 4. nnbloopkup -d 2 "*" gives:
    > query on 192.168.0.255 failed to find *.
    > I think that's called the subnet mask in the message. I may not have
    > copied the full text. My Linux machine is at 192.168.0.1 and the
    > *secondary* mask is 255.255.255.0. I have no idea if this should be
    > 192.168.0.255. Something is amiss though.
    > 5. Pushing ahead. smbclient //astropc /tmp produces (astropc is the
    > hostname):
    > tree connection (...?) NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.
    > More bad news. I just stopped there.

    A couple of things. If the share tmp doesn't exist you will get that error.

    [mm@wysenburg mm]$ smbclient //darkstar/tempoary
    Password:
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

    If the share points to a nonexistant directory you will get the same error.
    If the share exists but you don't have access for some reason you get a
    different error.

    [mm@wysenburg mm]$ smbclient //darkstar/temporary
    Password:
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

  3. Re: By the Book -- Diagnosing Samba

    Thanks for your response. I'll pick up on this in the other thread we've created.
    For those who read the previous post, '*' didn't make any difference.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

+ Reply to Thread