Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread) - SMB

This is a discussion on Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread) - SMB ; (This thread was "Getting Started with Samba. webmin. Hints?" My comments to the last response in the old thread are below.) W. Watson wrote: > m.marien wrote: > >> "W. Watson" wrote in message news:1asyd.7681$RH4.175@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net... >> >>> W. Watson ...

  1. Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    W. Watson wrote:

    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >> "W. Watson" wrote in message

    news:1asyd.7681$RH4.175@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

    >>> ... snip

    > ...snip
    >
    >>> Well the underscores have gone.
    >>>

    >> Windows doesn't like underscores. The only none alpha numeric character allowed

    in the NetBIOS name is a dash. You may still have something wrong with the hostname
    of the RH9 system. Anyhow, Perhaps try the other way. From the AstroPC2004 command
    line try:

    >> smbclient -L AstroPC2000
    >>
    >> That should give a list of the shares plus server list and workgroup master.

    Don't bother with a password, just press Return (Enter).

    >> [mm@amos-rh mm]$ smbclient -L amos-rh
    >> Password:
    >> Domain=[DMS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.6-2.FC1]
    >>
    >> Sharename Type Comment
    >> --------- ---- -------
    >> temp Disk
    >> all Disk

    > ... snip
    >
    >> Workgroup Master
    >> --------- -------
    >> DMS DARKSTAR
    >>
    >> Also try the XP system from the Linux box:
    >>
    >> smbclient -L solarblast
    >>
    >> Lets us know what the output is.
    >>

    > solarblast (XP) doesn't recognize the command.
    > AstroPC2004 gave:
    > added interface ip = 192.168.0.1 bacast 192.168.0.255 nmask = 255.255.255.0
    > Get a psotive name query from 192.168.0.3
    >
    > Thanks for all the help on this. Tomorrow afternoon we are headed for a Christmas

    celebration in San Francisco, and won't be back until late Monday. I certainly need
    the break from my beating on this computer for the last many weeks edging towards
    getting the Linux machine to communicate with XP. Have a Merry Christmas and happy
    holiday!

    Well, after a pleasant divesion on other matters, I'm ready to tackle the Samba/XP
    Pro interface again. The material above is where the solution was last left. A quick
    review of my equipment is:

    Machine 192.168.0.3: (in house), solarblast, XP Pro with SP2
    Machine 192.168.0.1: astropc2004 for Linux, and (other boot) astropc-w2k for W2000
    Machine 192.168.0.2: meteorpc2004 for Linux
    Both Linux machines have separate Linux boots based on RHL 9.0, one for 'normal'
    Linux and the other for realtime Linux based on 9.0. The realtime boots are out of
    the picture for the time connection I'm trying to make on the network.

    The only two machines I'm concerned about as I try to unravel how to get Samba
    talking with XP are solarblast and astropc2004.

    The only thing I did of consequence in the interim was to try to see if I could get a
    time sync (net time) from solarblast to astropc2004. It works. I had a few issues
    with the new MS security look provided by SP2 (service pack 2), but they are behind
    me, I hope.

    This morning I again tried: smbclient -L solarblast

    AstroPC2004 gave:
    added interface ip = 192.168.0.1 bacast 192.168.0.255 nmask = 255.255.255.0
    Get a postive name query from 192.168.0.3
    Password:

    So I entered my password for Win XP Administrator and got some error messages.
    write socket data failure. Connection reset by peer. Error writing 160 bytes to socket 3.
    Session setup failed. Connection reset by peer.

    That maybe something of a bit of progress. I don't think I got that before.

    Web Page:

    Web Page:

  2. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:
    >>Well, after a pleasant divesion on other matters, I'm ready to tackle the
    >>Samba/XP Pro interface again. The material above is where the solution was
    >>last left. A quick review of my equipment is:
    >>
    >>Machine 192.168.0.3: (in house), solarblast, XP Pro with SP2
    >>Machine 192.168.0.1: astropc2004 for Linux, and (other boot) astropc-w2k
    >>for W2000
    >>Machine 192.168.0.2: meteorpc2004 for Linux
    >>Both Linux machines have separate Linux boots based on RHL 9.0, one for
    >>'normal' Linux and the other for realtime Linux based on 9.0. The realtime
    >>boots are out of the picture for the time connection I'm trying to make on
    >>the network.
    >>
    >>The only two machines I'm concerned about as I try to unravel how to get
    >>Samba talking with XP are solarblast and astropc2004.
    >>
    >>The only thing I did of consequence in the interim was to try to see if I
    >>could get a time sync (net time) from solarblast to astropc2004. It works.
    >>I had a few issues with the new MS security look provided by SP2 (service
    >>pack 2), but they are behind me, I hope.
    >>
    >>This morning I again tried: smbclient -L solarblast
    >>
    >>AstroPC2004 gave:
    >>added interface ip = 192.168.0.1 bacast 192.168.0.255 nmask =
    >>255.255.255.0
    >>Get a postive name query from 192.168.0.3
    >>Password:
    >>
    >>So I entered my password for Win XP Administrator and got some error
    >>messages.
    >>write socket data failure. Connection reset by peer. Error writing 160
    >>bytes to socket 3.
    >>Session setup failed. Connection reset by peer.
    >>

    > If it's an authentication error it would be NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. The
    > password is for the user that you are logged on to Linux with. You can also
    > use:
    >
    > smbclient -L netbiosname -U username%password
    >
    > or anonymously
    >
    > [mm@amos-rh mm]$ smbclient -L majm -U%
    > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    >
    > But unless you have the XP guest account on, you will get the error above.
    >
    > Are you allowing File and Printer Sharing on the XP firewall?

    I used my linux id/pwd and got NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

    using: smbclient -L majm -U%, I got "Added interface 192.168.0.1, bcase = xxx, nmask=yyy"

    File/Printer sharing on the Linux, Win or both side(s)? Let me look at Win. Wow, XP
    has a different sharing set of dailogs than W2000. It looks like the file sharing is
    to almost all drives on my XP machine. I couldn't figure out if I share my printers.
    I doubht it. If it's important, I'll figure it out.

    Let me look in Security Center about printer/files. ... It shows a check in Printer
    and File Sharing under the exceptions tab.

    I always work with my Administrator id and pwd. Will I need to use guest? I'm pretty
    sure it and a personal account, which I never use, are there.

    Web Page:

  3. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    W. Watson wrote:
    ....snip
    > > If it's an authentication error it would be NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. The
    > > password is for the user that you are logged on to Linux with. You

    > can also
    > > use:
    > >
    > > smbclient -L netbiosname -U username%password
    > >
    > > or anonymously
    > >
    > > [mm@amos-rh mm]$ smbclient -L majm -U%
    > > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    > >
    > > Sharename Type Comment
    > > --------- ---- -------
    > > Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    > >
    > > Server Comment
    > > --------- -------
    > >
    > > Workgroup Master
    > > --------- -------
    > >
    > > But unless you have the XP guest account on, you will get the error

    > above.
    > >
    > > Are you allowing File and Printer Sharing on the XP firewall?
    > >

    > I used my linux id/pwd and got NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    >
    > using: smbclient -L majm -U%, I got "Added interface 192.168.0.1, bcase
    > = xxx, nmask=yyy"
    >
    > File/Printer sharing on the Linux, Win or both side(s)? Let me look at
    > Win. Wow, XP has a different sharing set of dailogs than W2000. It looks
    > like the file sharing is to almost all drives on my XP machine. I
    > couldn't figure out if I share my printers. I doubht it. If it's
    > important, I'll figure it out.
    >
    > Let me look in Security Center about printer/files. ... It shows a check
    > in Printer and File Sharing under the exceptions tab.
    >
    > I always work with my Administrator id and pwd. Will I need to use
    > guest? I'm pretty sure it and a personal account, which I never use, are
    > there.

    See comments from yesterday just above this line.

    I created a guest account on Linux with the same pwd as on XP, and executed the
    smbclient command. After entering my pwd in response to the command's query, I got:
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    Sharename Type Comment

    as you indicated above. I guess that's progress.

    I found in some tome on the internet, I needed to add 'server time = yes' to the
    smb.conf file, and did that through SWAT. Am I now in a position to try to time synch
    against the accurate time on the XP machine solarblast? If so, what do I do in Linux
    to set its clock from solarblast?

    Web Page:

  4. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    W. Watson wrote:
    ....snip
    > > If it's an authentication error it would be NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. The
    > > password is for the user that you are logged on to Linux with. You

    > can also
    > > use:
    > >
    > > smbclient -L netbiosname -U username%password
    > >
    > > or anonymously
    > >
    > > [mm@amos-rh mm]$ smbclient -L majm -U%
    > > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    > >
    > > Sharename Type Comment
    > > --------- ---- -------
    > > Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    > >
    > > Server Comment
    > > --------- -------
    > >
    > > Workgroup Master
    > > --------- -------
    > >
    > > But unless you have the XP guest account on, you will get the error

    > above.
    > >
    > > Are you allowing File and Printer Sharing on the XP firewall?
    > >

    > I used my linux id/pwd and got NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    >
    > using: smbclient -L majm -U%, I got "Added interface 192.168.0.1, bcase
    > = xxx, nmask=yyy"
    >
    > File/Printer sharing on the Linux, Win or both side(s)? Let me look at
    > Win. Wow, XP has a different sharing set of dailogs than W2000. It looks
    > like the file sharing is to almost all drives on my XP machine. I
    > couldn't figure out if I share my printers. I doubht it. If it's
    > important, I'll figure it out.
    >
    > Let me look in Security Center about printer/files. ... It shows a check
    > in Printer and File Sharing under the exceptions tab.
    >
    > I always work with my Administrator id and pwd. Will I need to use
    > guest? I'm pretty sure it and a personal account, which I never use, are
    > there.

    See comments from yesterday just above this line.

    I created a guest account on Linux with the same pwd as on XP, and executed the
    smbclient command. After entering my pwd in response to the command's query, I got:
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    Sharename Type Comment

    as you indicated above. I guess that's progress.

    I found in some tome on the internet that I needed to add 'server time = yes' to the
    smb.conf file, and did that through SWAT. Am I now in a position to try to time synch
    against the accurate time on the XP machine solarblast? If so, what do I do in Linux
    to set its clock from solarblast?

    Web Page:

  5. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    > W. Watson wrote:
    > ...snip
    >> > If it's an authentication error it would be NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.

    >> The
    >> > password is for the user that you are logged on to Linux with. You can

    >> also
    >> > use:
    >> >
    >> > smbclient -L netbiosname -U username%password
    >> >
    >> > or anonymously
    >> >
    >> > [mm@amos-rh mm]$ smbclient -L majm -U%
    >> > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >> >
    >> > Sharename Type Comment
    >> > --------- ---- -------
    >> > Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    >> > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >> >
    >> > Server Comment
    >> > --------- -------
    >> >
    >> > Workgroup Master
    >> > --------- -------
    >> >
    >> > But unless you have the XP guest account on, you will get the error

    >> above.
    >> >
    >> > Are you allowing File and Printer Sharing on the XP firewall?
    >> >

    >> I used my linux id/pwd and got NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    >>
    >> using: smbclient -L majm -U%, I got "Added interface 192.168.0.1, bcase =
    >> xxx, nmask=yyy"
    >>
    >> File/Printer sharing on the Linux, Win or both side(s)? Let me look at
    >> Win. Wow, XP has a different sharing set of dailogs than W2000. It looks
    >> like the file sharing is to almost all drives on my XP machine. I
    >> couldn't figure out if I share my printers. I doubht it. If it's
    >> important, I'll figure it out.

    If the shares have the dollar sign (ie: C$), then they are restricted
    shares. You need the administrator password to use them.

    >> Let me look in Security Center about printer/files. ... It shows a check
    >> in Printer and File Sharing under the exceptions tab.
    >>
    >> I always work with my Administrator id and pwd. Will I need to use guest?
    >> I'm pretty sure it and a personal account, which I never use, are there.

    You should always use your personal account. You can inadvertently do a lot
    of damage using the administrator or root accounts.

    > See comments from yesterday just above this line.
    >
    > I created a guest account on Linux with the same pwd as on XP, and
    > executed the smbclient command. After entering my pwd in response to the
    > command's query, I got:

    Linux usually uses the nobody account. The guest account is mapped to the
    nobody account in the /etc/samba/smbusers file. However you can use any
    account as the guest account. It should be restricted and not have a shell
    or password.

    > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    > Sharename Type Comment
    >
    > as you indicated above. I guess that's progress.
    >
    > I found in some tome on the internet that I needed to add 'server time =
    > yes' to the smb.conf file, and did that through SWAT. Am I now in a
    > position to try to time synch against the accurate time on the XP machine
    > solarblast? If so, what do I do in Linux to set its clock from solarblast?

    The server time = yes only tells Samba to be a time server for Windows
    clients when it is a PDC. However, it doesn't work because Samba announces
    itself as version 4.5 and Windows systems will only sync to version 5.0 or
    better.

    You should look at www.ntp.org for accurate time. One of you Linux boxes
    will make a great time server.

  6. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >
    >>W. Watson wrote:
    >>...snip

    .... snip

    > You should always use your personal account. You can inadvertently do a lot
    > of damage using the administrator or root accounts.
    >

    >>See comments from yesterday just above this line.
    >>
    >>I created a guest account on Linux with the same pwd as on XP, and
    >>executed the smbclient command. After entering my pwd in response to the
    >>command's query, I got:

    > Linux usually uses the nobody account. The guest account is mapped to the
    > nobody account in the /etc/samba/smbusers file. However you can use any
    > account as the guest account. It should be restricted and not have a shell
    > or password.
    >

    >>Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >> Sharename Type Comment
    >>
    >>as you indicated above. I guess that's progress.
    >>
    >>I found in some tome on the internet that I needed to add 'server time =
    >>yes' to the smb.conf file, and did that through SWAT. Am I now in a
    >>position to try to time synch against the accurate time on the XP machine
    >>solarblast? If so, what do I do in Linux to set its clock from solarblast?

    > The server time = yes only tells Samba to be a time server for Windows
    > clients when it is a PDC. However, it doesn't work because Samba announces
    > itself as version 4.5 and Windows systems will only sync to version 5.0 or
    > better.
    >
    > You should look at www.ntp.org for accurate time. One of you Linux boxes
    > will make a great time server.

    I'll take a look at ntp. Unfortunately, my Linux machine does not have a modem. Even
    if it did, I would barely use it. The machine's sole purpose is to capture images of
    fireballs. The XP machine is my workhorse.

    With the break through mentioned above, am I Samba functional? Aside from my interest
    in the time synch, can I now move files from one machine to another? If so, what's
    the mechanism or command on each side to do it? How do I see files on the opposite
    machine?

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

  7. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    news:eSPCd.924$Pm6.136@newsread1.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >> "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>W. Watson wrote:
    >>>...snip
    >>>

    > ... snip
    >>

    >> You should always use your personal account. You can inadvertently do a
    >> lot of damage using the administrator or root accounts.
    >>

    >>>See comments from yesterday just above this line.
    >>>
    >>>I created a guest account on Linux with the same pwd as on XP, and
    >>>executed the smbclient command. After entering my pwd in response to the
    >>>command's query, I got:

    >> Linux usually uses the nobody account. The guest account is mapped to the
    >> nobody account in the /etc/samba/smbusers file. However you can use any
    >> account as the guest account. It should be restricted and not have a
    >> shell or password.
    >>

    >>>Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >>> Sharename Type Comment
    >>>
    >>>as you indicated above. I guess that's progress.
    >>>
    >>>I found in some tome on the internet that I needed to add 'server time =
    >>>yes' to the smb.conf file, and did that through SWAT. Am I now in a
    >>>position to try to time synch against the accurate time on the XP machine
    >>>solarblast? If so, what do I do in Linux to set its clock from
    >>>solarblast?

    >> The server time = yes only tells Samba to be a time server for Windows
    >> clients when it is a PDC. However, it doesn't work because Samba
    >> announces itself as version 4.5 and Windows systems will only sync to
    >> version 5.0 or better.
    >>
    >> You should look at www.ntp.org for accurate time. One of you Linux boxes
    >> will make a great time server.
    >>

    > I'll take a look at ntp. Unfortunately, my Linux machine does not have a
    > modem. Even if it did, I would barely use it. The machine's sole purpose
    > is to capture images of fireballs. The XP machine is my workhorse.
    >
    > With the break through mentioned above, am I Samba functional? Aside from
    > my interest in the time synch, can I now move files from one machine to
    > another? If so, what's the mechanism or command on each side to do it? How
    > do I see files on the opposite machine?

    I don't know, can you now see the Samba system and shares in the XP network
    neighborhood ?

  8. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    > news:eSPCd.924$Pm6.136@newsread1.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >
    >>m.marien wrote:
    >>

    >>>"W. Watson" wrote in message

    >>... snip
    >>

    >>>You should always use your personal account. You can inadvertently do a
    >>>lot of damage using the administrator or root accounts.

    >>>Linux usually uses the nobody account. The guest account is mapped to the
    >>>nobody account in the /etc/samba/smbusers file. However you can use any
    >>>account as the guest account. It should be restricted and not have a
    >>>shell or password.

    >>>The server time = yes only tells Samba to be a time server for Windows
    >>>clients when it is a PDC. However, it doesn't work because Samba
    >>>announces itself as version 4.5 and Windows systems will only sync to
    >>>version 5.0 or better.
    >>>
    >>>You should look at www.ntp.org for accurate time. One of you Linux boxes
    >>>will make a great time server.
    >>>

    >>I'll take a look at ntp. Unfortunately, my Linux machine does not have a
    >>modem. Even if it did, I would barely use it. The machine's sole purpose
    >>is to capture images of fireballs. The XP machine is my workhorse.
    >>
    >>With the break through mentioned above, am I Samba functional? Aside from
    >>my interest in the time synch, can I now move files from one machine to
    >>another? If so, what's the mechanism or command on each side to do it? How
    >>do I see files on the opposite machine?
    >>

    > I don't know, can you now see the Samba system and shares in the XP network
    > neighborhood ?

    Well, I seem to be recently back to the situation where Network Place doesn't know
    about the Linux box. It did for awhile, but it seemed to have a fondness for showing
    the underscore names I used and thought I had purge completely from Linux. I
    rebooted, and lost all connections with the Linux box. I suspect I need to reboot
    Linux, but it's too cold to mess with it right now. It's in another building about
    100' away. I'll try tomorrow.

    Either XP or Linux has some odd attachment for the underscored names I used. It would
    be interesting to know why. They seem to appear out of nowhere.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

  9. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    news:sn4Dd.1866$v76.1487@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > m.marien wrote:

    > Well, I seem to be recently back to the situation where Network Place
    > doesn't know about the Linux box. It did for awhile, but it seemed to have
    > a fondness for showing the underscore names I used and thought I had purge
    > completely from Linux. I rebooted, and lost all connections with the Linux
    > box. I suspect I need to reboot Linux, but it's too cold to mess with it
    > right now. It's in another building about 100' away. I'll try tomorrow.
    >
    > Either XP or Linux has some odd attachment for the underscored names I
    > used. It would be interesting to know why. They seem to appear out of
    > nowhere.

    XP only allows a dash in a NetBIOS name - no other funny stuff.

  10. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    > news:sn4Dd.1866$v76.1487@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    >
    >>m.marien wrote:

    >>Well, I seem to be recently back to the situation where Network Place
    >>doesn't know about the Linux box. It did for awhile, but it seemed to have
    >>a fondness for showing the underscore names I used and thought I had purge
    >>completely from Linux. I rebooted, and lost all connections with the Linux
    >>box. I suspect I need to reboot Linux, but it's too cold to mess with it
    >>right now. It's in another building about 100' away. I'll try tomorrow.
    >>
    >>Either XP or Linux has some odd attachment for the underscored names I
    >>used. It would be interesting to know why. They seem to appear out of
    >>nowhere.
    >>

    > XP only allows a dash in a NetBIOS name - no other funny stuff.

    Yep. Nevertheless, it still randomly decides to produce astro_pc in the descriptive
    material when I use Network Places Near Me. Anyway, I shook it loose this morning by
    rebooting astropc (Linux), rebooting XP (solarblast), logging in as Administrator (as
    I usually do, and that didn't shake the astro_pc), relogging as guest, then relogging
    as Administrator. That worked. Torture it. :-) When I clicked on the Samba/astropc
    icon shown by Network Places, it rejected me with I didn't have permission. See the
    Admin. Well, of course, I am the Admin and was logged in as Admin. I then took down
    the MS firewall, and got the same result. I can ping away to my heart's content
    between machines from either one. Maybe I need to smbclient -L solarblast from
    astropc or bring up SWAT on astropc?

    I thought I would just try Network Places (Computers Near Me) right now. I got a
    message saying that my Galaxy workgroup is not available, and neither is the list of
    servers for the workgroup. I just did it again, and it's OK. Both computers are
    listed. Maybe it had to do with turning the firewall on/off 30 minutes ago. Clicking
    on the line Samba Server 2.2.7-security rollup-fix (astropc) gets me the same old
    Astropc not accessible, blah, blash, check permission with admin, the network path
    was not found.

    For the record, in the above, the acutal name of astropc is astropc2004, 11 chars. I
    abbreviated it here, but maybe there's some funny character limitation going on.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

  11. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >> "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >> news:sn4Dd.1866$v76.1487@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    >>
    >>>m.marien wrote:

    >>>Well, I seem to be recently back to the situation where Network Place
    >>>doesn't know about the Linux box. It did for awhile, but it seemed to
    >>>have a fondness for showing the underscore names I used and thought I had
    >>>purge completely from Linux. I rebooted, and lost all connections with
    >>>the Linux box. I suspect I need to reboot Linux, but it's too cold to
    >>>mess with it right now. It's in another building about 100' away. I'll
    >>>try tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>>Either XP or Linux has some odd attachment for the underscored names I
    >>>used. It would be interesting to know why. They seem to appear out of
    >>>nowhere.
    >>>

    >> XP only allows a dash in a NetBIOS name - no other funny stuff.

    > Yep. Nevertheless, it still randomly decides to produce astro_pc in the
    > descriptive material when I use Network Places Near Me. Anyway, I shook it
    > loose this morning by rebooting astropc (Linux), rebooting XP
    > (solarblast), logging in as Administrator (as I usually do, and that
    > didn't shake the astro_pc), relogging as guest, then relogging as
    > Administrator. That worked. Torture it. :-) When I clicked on the
    > Samba/astropc icon shown by Network Places, it rejected me with I didn't
    > have permission. See the Admin. Well, of course, I am the Admin and was
    > logged in as Admin. I then took down the MS firewall, and got the same
    > result. I can ping away to my heart's content between machines from either
    > one. Maybe I need to smbclient -L solarblast from astropc or bring up SWAT
    > on astropc?
    >
    > I thought I would just try Network Places (Computers Near Me) right now. I
    > got a message saying that my Galaxy workgroup is not available, and
    > neither is the list of servers for the workgroup. I just did it again, and
    > it's OK. Both computers are listed. Maybe it had to do with turning the
    > firewall on/off 30 minutes ago. Clicking on the line Samba Server
    > 2.2.7-security rollup-fix (astropc) gets me the same old Astropc not
    > accessible, blah, blash, check permission with admin, the network path was
    > not found.
    >
    > For the record, in the above, the acutal name of astropc is astropc2004,
    > 11 chars. I abbreviated it here, but maybe there's some funny character
    > limitation going on.

    OK, lets start fresh. Can you give us a listing of your /etc/samba/smb.conf
    file.

  12. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >
    >>m.marien wrote:
    >>

    >>>"W. Watson" wrote in message
    >>>news:sn4Dd.1866$v76.1487@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

    >>>XP only allows a dash in a NetBIOS name - no other funny stuff.

    >>Yep. Nevertheless, it still randomly decides to produce astro_pc in the
    >>descriptive material when I use Network Places Near Me. Anyway, I shook it
    >>loose this morning by rebooting astropc (Linux), rebooting XP
    >>(solarblast), logging in as Administrator (as I usually do, and that
    >>didn't shake the astro_pc), relogging as guest, then relogging as
    >>Administrator. That worked. Torture it. :-) When I clicked on the
    >>Samba/astropc icon shown by Network Places, it rejected me with I didn't
    >>have permission. See the Admin. Well, of course, I am the Admin and was
    >>logged in as Admin. I then took down the MS firewall, and got the same
    >>result. I can ping away to my heart's content between machines from either
    >>one. Maybe I need to smbclient -L solarblast from astropc or bring up SWAT
    >>on astropc?
    >>
    >>I thought I would just try Network Places (Computers Near Me) right now. I
    >>got a message saying that my Galaxy workgroup is not available, and
    >>neither is the list of servers for the workgroup. I just did it again, and
    >>it's OK. Both computers are listed. Maybe it had to do with turning the
    >>firewall on/off 30 minutes ago. Clicking on the line Samba Server
    >>2.2.7-security rollup-fix (astropc) gets me the same old Astropc not
    >>accessible, blah, blash, check permission with admin, the network path was
    >>not found.
    >>
    >>For the record, in the above, the acutal name of astropc is astropc2004,
    >>11 chars. I abbreviated it here, but maybe there's some funny character
    >>limitation going on.
    >>

    > OK, lets start fresh. Can you give us a listing of your /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > file.

    Good idea. See attached.

    In the mean time, I'm going to continue with the diagnostics given in the author's
    book mentioned in the other thread. The next steps take place on this machine, the XP
    box.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
    # Date: 2005/01/04 13:10:37

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = GALAXY
    netbios name = ASTROPC2004
    server string = Samba Server %v
    security = SHARE
    time server = Yes

    [homes]
    browseable = No

    [temp]
    path = /tmp
    read only = No
    guest only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes

    [all]
    path = /
    force user = root
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

  13. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    >> OK, lets start fresh. Can you give us a listing of your
    >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >> file.
    >>

    > Good idea. See attached.
    >
    > In the mean time, I'm going to continue with the diagnostics given in the
    > author's
    > book mentioned in the other thread. The next steps take place on this
    > machine, the XP
    > box.
    >

    ># Samba config file created using SWAT
    > # from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
    > # Date: 2005/01/04 13:10:37
    >
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = GALAXY
    > netbios name = ASTROPC2004
    > server string = Samba Server %v
    > security = SHARE
    > time server = Yes
    >
    > [homes]
    > browseable = No
    >
    > [temp]
    > path = /tmp
    > read only = No
    > guest only = Yes
    > guest ok = Yes
    >
    > [all]
    > path = /
    > force user = root
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes

    That smb.conf file look familiar except for the workgroup and netbios name.
    Anyhow I copied this to my test system, restarted Samba and viola, it showed
    up in the network neighborhood. Well actually it didn't. I had to do a
    search. Right click on My Network Places and pick Search for Computers.

    It also shows up on the Linux box.

    [root@amos-rh samba]# nmblookup -S ASTROPC2004
    querying ASTROPC2004 on 192.168.0.255
    192.168.0.4 ASTROPC2004<00>
    Looking up status of 192.168.0.4
    ASTROPC2004 <00> - B
    ASTROPC2004 <03> - B
    ASTROPC2004 <20> - B
    GALAXY <00> - B
    GALAXY <1e> - B

    MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

    When you change the smb.conf file and restart Samba, it takes a few minutes
    for the computers to elect the local master browser. Once that is done, the
    local master browser collects a list of computers and shares. The windows
    computers also keep a cache of the information. This makes any queries to
    the network neighborhood instant after the initial query. However, if
    anything changes, the local master browser will get the changes right away,
    but the windows system will only update when the cache expires. However, a
    search for computers forces a query to the local master browser and the
    cache is updated right away.

    The election of the local master browser maybe the reason for your names
    with underscores. If you have a third computer running and it hasn't been
    restarted for a while, it will win all the elections for local master
    browser. Sometimes old information will stay in there for days. For example:

    [root@amos-rh samba]# smbclient -L darkstar
    Password:
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    COYOTE
    DARKSTAR
    GAINSBERY Samba 3.0.10 on Fedora Core 1
    MAJM The boss' new computer
    MAMMY-XP

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    DMS DARKSTAR
    GALAXY ASTROPC2004
    PSGEOMAT CENTRAL-TWO

    This is a query to my Windows DC for my domain DMS. It has been running for
    months and services a different workgroup on the same network. My test
    system is called ASTROPC2004 in the GALAXY workgroup, but a couple of hours
    ago it was called CENTRAL-TWO in the PSGEOMAT workgroup. Same computer,
    different names. Of course it will only repond to the name ASTROPC2004 at
    the moment, but the old information is still there - and displayed in the
    Network Neighborhood (My Network Places in XP lingo) on Windows systems.

    --- different subject ----

    This smb.conf file (the one you are using) is setup so that anybody
    (security = share, guest only = yes, guest ok = yes) can access the shares.
    You don't need to specify passwords and it doesn't matter who you are logged
    on as. All the shares are accessed through the nobody account. This is the
    anonymous logon.

    The same is allowed for the XP system:

    [root@amos-rh samba]# smbclient -L majm -U guest%
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    SharedDocs Disk
    Seti Disk
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share
    Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------

    I didn't use a password here. If you are getting NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    then your quest account on the XP system is probably disabled.

    If you get NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE then it's a password problem. If your XP
    administrator account and the Linux root account have different passwords,
    then you might get this error.

    My appologies for the long post.

  14. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    I see that I wasn't to successful at creating a new thread. I had planned to detach
    it from the old one, but somehow didn't. Anyway, comments below.
    m.marien wrote:

    >>>OK, lets start fresh. Can you give us a listing of your
    >>>/etc/samba/smb.conf
    >>>file.
    >>>

    >>Good idea. See attached.
    >>
    >>In the mean time, I'm going to continue with the diagnostics given in the
    >>author's
    >>book mentioned in the other thread. The next steps take place on this
    >>machine, the XP
    >>box.
    >>

    >># Samba config file created using SWAT
    >># from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
    >># Date: 2005/01/04 13:10:37
    >>
    >># Global parameters
    >>[global]
    >>workgroup = GALAXY
    >>netbios name = ASTROPC2004
    >>server string = Samba Server %v
    >>security = SHARE
    >>time server = Yes
    >>
    >>[homes]
    >>browseable = No
    >>
    >>[temp]
    >>path = /tmp
    >>read only = No
    >>guest only = Yes
    >>guest ok = Yes
    >>
    >>[all]
    >>path = /
    >>force user = root
    >>read only = No
    >>guest ok = Yes
    >>

    > That smb.conf file look familiar except for the workgroup and netbios name.

    Yes, I had to use my local names. I may have inadvertently modified a little of it
    when I started digging into Samba usage recently. I set up some users with Samba
    passwords. The basic file is from your starting point.
    > Anyhow I copied this to my test system, restarted Samba and viola, it showed
    > up in the network neighborhood. Well actually it didn't. I had to do a
    > search. Right click on My Network Places and pick Search for Computers.

    I just get a message that says I can't access it, see your sys admin. I do this
    (access N Places) from XP Administrator. Somewhere along the line, I read that one
    needs to establish a guest account on both machines, or at least an account on each
    machine with the same name and same password. I did that with guest, and logged onto
    XP with it. Network Places wouldn't show me a thing.

    In another post to this group, someone responded that I needed to create a share for
    a Linux directory like /home. So I fumbled around with webmin again, and found some
    place within SWAT to make a share. I choose ~wayne, me. I haven't tried it out today,
    but will shortly. It was in an area of webmin/SWAT that seemed to allow shares for
    everyone. I had expected to be able to make a share for a specific user.

> [...]
    > on as. All the shares are accessed through the nobody account. This is the
    > anonymous logon.
    >
    > The same is allowed for the XP system:
    >
    > [root@amos-rh samba]# smbclient -L majm -U guest%
    > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    > SharedDocs Disk
    > Seti Disk
    > ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    > C$ Disk Default share
    > Domain=[DMS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    >
    > I didn't use a password here. If you are getting NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    > then your quest account on the XP system is probably disabled.

    I've signed on as recently as yesterday.

    > If you get NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE then it's a password problem. If your XP
    > administrator account and the Linux root account have different passwords,
    > then you might get this error.
    >
    > My appologies for the long post.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

  15. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >I see that I wasn't to successful at creating a new thread. I had planned
    >to detach it from the old one, but somehow didn't. Anyway, comments below.
    > m.marien wrote:

    [snip]

    >> That smb.conf file look familiar except for the workgroup and netbios
    >> name.

    > Yes, I had to use my local names. I may have inadvertently modified a
    > little of it when I started digging into Samba usage recently. I set up
    > some users with Samba passwords. The basic file is from your starting
    > point.
    >> Anyhow I copied this to my test system, restarted Samba and viola, it
    >> showed up in the network neighborhood. Well actually it didn't. I had to
    >> do a search. Right click on My Network Places and pick Search for
    >> Computers.

    > I just get a message that says I can't access it, see your sys admin. I do
    > this (access N Places) from XP Administrator. Somewhere along the line, I
    > read that one needs to establish a guest account on both machines, or at
    > least an account on each machine with the same name and same password. I
    > did that with guest, and logged onto XP with it. Network Places wouldn't
    > show me a thing.

    I don't know what's wrong there. (Did you create a Samba account in addition
    to the Linux account?) Doesn't matter, both systems already have a guest
    account. On the XP system it is called guest. It has limited function. You
    can't logon with it. It is only used to allow another computer to display
    the shares in the network neighborhood and use the shared printer. By
    default on XP systems it's disabled. You need to enable it to be able to
    anonymously browse the shares from another computer.

    To enable it, open User Accounts from the Control Panel, select the Advanced
    tab, click the Advanced button, select Users in the left pane, right click
    the guest account in the right pane and select Properties from the popup
    menu. Click the check box to enable the account. Click OK and close the
    dialog boxes.

    On the Linux box, the account is called nobody. If you check the
    /etc/samba/smbusers file, you will see that the guest account is mapped to
    the nobody account. If these two accounts are functioning properly, then the
    smb.conf file will work no matter which account you are logged on to. I
    wouldn't try to create these accounts. Just use the default ones and make
    sure they are enabled.

    > In another post to this group, someone responded that I needed to create a
    > share for a Linux directory like /home. So I fumbled around with webmin
    > again, and found some place within SWAT to make a share. I choose ~wayne,
    > me. I haven't tried it out today, but will shortly. It was in an area of
    > webmin/SWAT that seemed to allow shares for everyone. I had expected to be
    > able to make a share for a specific user.

    When you create a new user on Linux with adduser (or with Webmin) it creates
    a directory in /home with the same name as the logon name for the account.
    This is called the users home directory. I would let adduser or Webmin
    create the directory for you rather than manually creating it (for a number
    of reasons).

    In Linux you can use the tilde as a shortcut to access the directory (ie: cd
    ~) will get you directly to your home directory. You can use the tilde
    character in the directory name but that is not really the purpose and it
    won't work as it should. If you're logged on as root, the home directory is
    /root otherwise it's a directory under /home.

    In the Samba configuration you have there is a section for the [homes]
    directory. When a user accesses the Samba system over the network, he will
    see his home directory in the list of shares. This is automatic if there is
    a [homes] section in the smb.conf file. However, it won't work unless you
    have an account in Samba with the same username and password as an account
    on the connecting system. In addition, your Samba configuration is set up
    for anonymous access - although you can use accounts.

  16. Re: Getting Started with Samba/XP Pro (New Thread)

    m.marien wrote:

    > "W. Watson" wrote in message
    >
    >>I see that I wasn't to successful at creating a new thread. I had planned
    >>to detach it from the old one, but somehow didn't. Anyway, comments below.
    >>m.marien wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >

    >>>That smb.conf file look familiar except for the workgroup and netbios
    >>>name.

    >>Yes, I had to use my local names. I may have inadvertently modified a
    >>little of it when I started digging into Samba usage recently. I set up
    >>some users with Samba passwords. The basic file is from your starting
    >>point.
    >>
    >>>Anyhow I copied this to my test system, restarted Samba and viola, it
    >>>showed up in the network neighborhood. Well actually it didn't. I had to
    >>>do a search. Right click on My Network Places and pick Search for
    >>>Computers.

    >>I just get a message that says I can't access it, see your sys admin. I do
    >>this (access N Places) from XP Administrator. Somewhere along the line, I
    >>read that one needs to establish a guest account on both machines, or at
    >>least an account on each machine with the same name and same password. I
    >>did that with guest, and logged onto XP with it. Network Places wouldn't
    >>show me a thing.
    >>

    > I don't know what's wrong there. (Did you create a Samba account in addition
    > to the Linux account?) Doesn't matter, both systems already have a guest
    > account. On the XP system it is called guest. It has limited function. You
    > can't logon with it. It is only used to allow another computer to display
    > the shares in the network neighborhood and use the shared printer. By
    > default on XP systems it's disabled. You need to enable it to be able to
    > anonymously browse the shares from another computer.

    I created identical accounts on both systems with the same passwds. I am
    able to sign on to both accounts. XP guest does not see anything regarding
    networks.

    > To enable it, open User Accounts from the Control Panel, select the Advanced
    > tab, click the Advanced button, select Users in the left pane, right click
    > the guest account in the right pane and select Properties from the popup
    > menu. Click the check box to enable the account. Click OK and close the
    > dialog boxes.

    I'll try this to see if I have missed something.

    > On the Linux box, the account is called nobody. If you check the
    > /etc/samba/smbusers file, you will see that the guest account is mapped to
    > the nobody account. If these two accounts are functioning properly, then the
    > smb.conf file will work no matter which account you are logged on to. I
    > wouldn't try to create these accounts. Just use the default ones and make
    > sure they are enabled.

    I believe that's what I have done. I used guest but not nobody.

    >>In another post to this group, someone responded that I needed to create a
    >>share for a Linux directory like /home. So I fumbled around with webmin
    >>again, and found some place within SWAT to make a share. I choose ~wayne,
    >>me. I haven't tried it out today, but will shortly. It was in an area of
    >>webmin/SWAT that seemed to allow shares for everyone. I had expected to be
    >>able to make a share for a specific user.
    >>

    > When you create a new user on Linux with adduser (or with Webmin) it creates
    > a directory in /home with the same name as the logon name for the account.
    > This is called the users home directory. I would let adduser or Webmin
    > create the directory for you rather than manually creating it (for a number
    > of reasons).

    I let one of those two create it for me.

    > In Linux you can use the tilde as a shortcut to access the directory (ie: cd
    > ~) will get you directly to your home directory. You can use the tilde
    > character in the directory name but that is not really the purpose and it
    > won't work as it should. If you're logged on as root, the home directory is
    > /root otherwise it's a directory under /home.

    Yes. Known info.

    > In the Samba configuration you have there is a section for the [homes]
    > directory. When a user accesses the Samba system over the network, he will
    > see his home directory in the list of shares. This is automatic if there is
    > a [homes] section in the smb.conf file. However, it won't work unless you
    > have an account in Samba with the same username and password as an account
    > on the connecting system. In addition, your Samba configuration is set up
    > for anonymous access - although you can use accounts.

    I'll look into it.

    I'll check into matters as above, but I think I'm going to return to the
    sneaker net if this doesn't work. I've made so many trips the 100' between
    the two buildings already that I've probably equaled weeks of travel I
    would expect use to get the info I need to transfer from time to time
    carrying a floppy or zip drive. Of course on a day like today, I might want
    to think about that. It's snowing very hard today here in the Sierra
    foothills. I may be using a snow shovel soon.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    Web Page:

+ Reply to Thread