FAQ: smbclient fun - SMB

This is a discussion on FAQ: smbclient fun - SMB ; I just put samba 3.0.9 in a Sun E450/Solaris9 box and was now trying to test it out. Right now, the only share I have defined is the user home directories: [homes] comment = Home Directories browseable = no read ...

  1. FAQ: smbclient fun

    I just put samba 3.0.9 in a Sun E450/Solaris9 box and
    was now trying to test it out. Right now, the only share I have defined
    is the user home directories:

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0750

    So, I use smbclient to see if I can see my machine:

    root@yucca-37>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L yucca
    Password:

    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    YUCCA Yucca

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    MCHERDC YUCCA
    SHANDS S16T0V31
    root@yucca-38>

    So far so good. So, I now try to access one account (I am using
    /etc/passwd for authentication here):

    root@yucca-38>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient //YUCCA/homes -U neko
    Password:

    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    root@yucca-39>

    What am I missing this time?

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: smbclient fun

    "Mauricio Tavares" wrote in message
    > I just put samba 3.0.9 in a Sun E450/Solaris9 box and
    > was now trying to test it out. Right now, the only share I have defined is
    > the user home directories:
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = no
    > read only = no
    > create mode = 0750
    >
    > So, I use smbclient to see if I can see my machine:
    >
    > root@yucca-37>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L yucca
    > Password:
    >
    > Anonymous login successful
    > Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    > ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    > Anonymous login successful
    > Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    > YUCCA Yucca
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    > MCHERDC YUCCA
    > SHANDS S16T0V31
    > root@yucca-38>
    >
    > So far so good. So, I now try to access one account (I am using
    > /etc/passwd for authentication here):
    >
    > root@yucca-38>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient //YUCCA/homes -U neko
    > Password:
    >
    > session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    > root@yucca-39>
    >
    > What am I missing this time?

    Off hand I would say there was no user neko. Does it work with the root
    account ? Also, the [homes] share should show up in the list like this:

    -sh-2.05b$ smbclient -L checkin
    Password:
    Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7-2.FC1]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    Temporary Disk Temporary File Storage
    --Projects-- Disk Project Store
    Plans Disk Registered Plans
    Resources Disk Resource Library
    Source Files Disk Software and Shareware
    Job Status Disk Job Status Excel Spread Sheets
    QuickBooks Disk Quickbooks Files
    Backups Disk Place for Backups
    c$ Disk The whole works
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.7-2.FC1)
    ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.7-2.FC1)
    Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7-2.FC1]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    7OF9
    BOOKSVILLE-XP Rita' New Computer

    etc.

  3. Re: smbclient fun

    m.marien wrote:
    > "Mauricio Tavares" wrote in message
    >
    >> I just put samba 3.0.9 in a Sun E450/Solaris9 box and
    >>was now trying to test it out. Right now, the only share I have defined is
    >>the user home directories:
    >>
    >>[homes]
    >> comment = Home Directories
    >> browseable = no
    >> read only = no
    >> create mode = 0750
    >>
    >>So, I use smbclient to see if I can see my machine:
    >>
    >>root@yucca-37>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L yucca
    >>Password:
    >>
    >>Anonymous login successful
    >>Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >>
    >> Sharename Type Comment
    >> --------- ---- -------
    >> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    >> ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    >>Anonymous login successful
    >>Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >>
    >> Server Comment
    >> --------- -------
    >> YUCCA Yucca
    >>
    >> Workgroup Master
    >> --------- -------
    >> MCHERDC YUCCA
    >> SHANDS S16T0V31
    >>root@yucca-38>
    >>
    >>So far so good. So, I now try to access one account (I am using
    >>/etc/passwd for authentication here):
    >>
    >>root@yucca-38>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient //YUCCA/homes -U neko
    >>Password:
    >>
    >>session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    >>root@yucca-39>
    >>
    >>What am I missing this time?
    >>

    > Off hand I would say there was no user neko. Does it work with the root
    > account ?

    It turned out that I needed to have the user/pw in smbpasswd in
    addition to /etc/passwd; I thought the later sufficed but was wrong. I
    guess it makes sense as it keeps the unix pw a bit more protected...

    > Also, the [homes] share should show up in the list like this:
    >
    > -sh-2.05b$ smbclient -L checkin
    > Password:
    > Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7-2.FC1]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > Temporary Disk Temporary File Storage
    > --Projects-- Disk Project Store
    > Plans Disk Registered Plans
    > Resources Disk Resource Library
    > Source Files Disk Software and Shareware
    > Job Status Disk Job Status Excel Spread Sheets
    > QuickBooks Disk Quickbooks Files
    > Backups Disk Place for Backups
    > c$ Disk The whole works
    > IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.7-2.FC1)
    > ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server 3.0.7-2.FC1)
    > Domain=[PSGEOMAT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7-2.FC1]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    > 7OF9
    > BOOKSVILLE-XP Rita' New Computer
    >
    > etc.

    Well, it seems not to want to do that for me:

    neko@yucca-2>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L checkin
    Connection to checkin failed
    neko@yucca-3>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L yucca checkin

    checkin: Not enough '\' characters in service
    Usage: [-?EgVNkP] [--usage] [-R NAME-RESOLVE-ORDER] [-M HOST] [-I IP]
    [-L HOST]
    [-t CODE] [-m LEVEL] [-T IXFqgbNan] [-D DIR] [-c STRING]
    [-b BYTES]
    [-p PORT] [-d DEBUGLEVEL] [-s CONFIGFILE] [-l LOGFILEBASE]
    [-O SOCKETOPTIONS] [-n NETBIOSNAME] [-W WORKGROUP] [-i SCOPE]
    [-U USERNAME] [-A FILE] [-S on|off|required] service
    neko@yucca-4>

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  4. Re: smbclient fun

    > m.marien wrote:
    >> "Mauricio Tavares" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I just put samba 3.0.9 in a Sun E450/Solaris9 box and
    >>>was now trying to test it out. Right now, the only share I have defined
    >>>is the user home directories:
    >>>
    >>>[homes]
    >>> comment = Home Directories
    >>> browseable = no
    >>> read only = no
    >>> create mode = 0750
    >>>
    >>>So, I use smbclient to see if I can see my machine:
    >>>
    >>>root@yucca-37>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L yucca
    >>>Password:
    >>>
    >>>Anonymous login successful
    >>>Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >>>
    >>> Sharename Type Comment
    >>> --------- ---- -------
    >>> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    >>> ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Yucca)
    >>>Anonymous login successful
    >>>Domain=[MCHERDC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9]
    >>>
    >>> Server Comment
    >>> --------- -------
    >>> YUCCA Yucca
    >>>
    >>> Workgroup Master
    >>> --------- -------
    >>> MCHERDC YUCCA
    >>> SHANDS S16T0V31
    >>>root@yucca-38>
    >>>
    >>>So far so good. So, I now try to access one account (I am using
    >>>/etc/passwd for authentication here):
    >>>
    >>>root@yucca-38>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient //YUCCA/homes -U neko
    >>>Password:
    >>>
    >>>session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    >>>root@yucca-39>
    >>>
    >>>What am I missing this time?
    >>>

    >> Off hand I would say there was no user neko. Does it work with the root
    >> account ?

    > It turned out that I needed to have the user/pw in smbpasswd in addition
    > to /etc/passwd; I thought the later sufficed but was wrong. I guess it
    > makes sense as it keeps the unix pw a bit more protected...
    >
    >> Also, the [homes] share should show up in the list like this:

    My mistake. The [Home] share doesn't show up in the share list. Did you
    solve your problem by adding the user accounts to smbpasswd ?

  5. Re: smbclient fun

    Yep. That's what I ended up doing.

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  6. Re: smbclient fun

    "m.marien" wrote:

    > "Mauricio Tavares" wrote in message
    > >
    > > It turned out that I needed to have the user/pw in smbpasswd in addition
    > > to /etc/passwd; I thought the later sufficed but was wrong. I guess it
    > > makes sense as it keeps the unix pw a bit more protected...

    The reason is the following: Unix and Windows both use one-way
    encryptions for pw, this means, there is no known algorithm to deduce
    the cleartext pw from the crypted one. Authentication works by applying
    the crypting algorithm to the user entered pw and comparing with the
    stored pw. This way no cleartext pw travels over the network. Alas Unix
    and Windows use different algorithms, and because the prime application
    of samba is to provide shares to windows clients (and not via smbclient
    to other unix clients), samba must be able to authenticate Windows
    clients. So samba cannot use the /etc/passwd (or /etc/shadow) pw. It
    must use the Windows crypted pw. However, it need not be stored in
    smbpasswd, this is just the simplest way. It could also be stored in
    ldap.

    Marcus

+ Reply to Thread