Windows server can not determin computer name - SMB

This is a discussion on Windows server can not determin computer name - SMB ; Hello I have configured samba as below added user administrator and used webmin to net join domain using the administrator password for the windows 2000 pdc. Everything seemed to work fine but the following day I found the Windows 2000 ...

  1. Windows server can not determin computer name

    Hello

    I have configured samba as below added user administrator and used webmin to
    net join domain using the administrator password for the windows 2000 pdc.

    Everything seemed to work fine but the following day I found the Windows
    2000 server gives the following error when I open Active directory
    user/computers.

    Windows can not determin it's it's computer name.

    The linux box is at 10.10.10.5 named ROUTER and Windows PDC is at 10.10.10.1
    named NTSERVER

    Samba version 3.05 on slackware version 10

    Perhaps this was just coincidence as I did not touch the Windows box.

    Thanks.
    Carl

    #smb.conf
    [global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    wins server = NTSERVER
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    dns proxy = no
    netbios name = Router
    server string = %h linux router (Samba %v)
    password server = 10.10.10.1
    invalid users = root
    workgroup = Domain
    os level = 33
    syslog = 0
    security = domain
    preferred master = no
    max log size = 1000

  2. Re: Windows server can not determin computer name

    I have put a wrong setting in the smb.conf which is not shown and the
    windows server has a cached a incorrect dns value

+ Reply to Thread