samba with ldap question - SMB

This is a discussion on samba with ldap question - SMB ; Hi I recently set up LDAP for about 1000 people and I distributed them on multiple trees (ou=this, ou=that, ...). Now I plan to install Samba and as far as I can see if I want to use LDAP for ...

  1. samba with ldap question

    Hi

    I recently set up LDAP for about 1000 people and I distributed them on
    multiple trees (ou=this, ou=that, ...). Now I plan to install Samba and
    as far as I can see if I want to use LDAP for both unix and samba
    accounts, I'll have to put all users into the same tree (in the docs,
    it's usually called ou=People). This would be a rather severe
    restriction, so I wonder if there is a way to keep users and groups on
    multiple trees with samba.

    Thanks for help

    Michael

  2. Re: samba with ldap question

    Michael Weiss wrote in news:cleedm$2qbe$1
    @news.imp.ch:

    > Hi
    >
    > I recently set up LDAP for about 1000 people and I distributed them on
    > multiple trees (ou=this, ou=that, ...). Now I plan to install Samba and
    > as far as I can see if I want to use LDAP for both unix and samba
    > accounts, I'll have to put all users into the same tree (in the docs,
    > it's usually called ou=People). This would be a rather severe
    > restriction, so I wonder if there is a way to keep users and groups on
    > multiple trees with samba.
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >
    > Michael

    Hi

    different trees should be possible, but you will have to change the
    startpoint for the search from ou=people to whatever is above that
    point. Also your search type will be not "one" but "sub" .
    By the way - my personal opinion is, that it is not recommended splitting
    the tree for only 1000 users. This will just raise problems in
    administration but give no advantage in performance or search operations.

    Hope this helps

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread