Samba and Windows Backup - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba and Windows Backup - SMB ; Hi Peoples, I have a Samba server running on my network that has assorted password protected file shares that are accessable from windows machines via windows file sharing on the network with no problems. Tha problem arises when I try ...

  1. Samba and Windows Backup

    Hi Peoples,

    I have a Samba server running on my network that has assorted password
    protected file shares that are accessable from windows machines via
    windows file sharing on the network with no problems.

    Tha problem arises when I try to use Windows back up program to back
    up to the network file share. It can see the file share but I recieve
    the error message "\\{Samba Server}\{folder} is not accessible. You
    might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
    administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permissions. Access is denied."

    If I go into the same folder via Windows Explorer I can access and
    save to it without any issues. I have tried setting up a Network drive
    that points to it but I still get the same error.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction.

  2. Re: Samba and Windows Backup

    "Paul" wrote in message
    news:9a93ea35.0410182200.13bde591@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Peoples,
    >
    > I have a Samba server running on my network that has assorted password
    > protected file shares that are accessable from windows machines via
    > windows file sharing on the network with no problems.
    >
    > Tha problem arises when I try to use Windows back up program to back
    > up to the network file share. It can see the file share but I recieve
    > the error message "\\{Samba Server}\{folder} is not accessible. You
    > might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
    > administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. Access is denied."
    >
    > If I go into the same folder via Windows Explorer I can access and
    > save to it without any issues. I have tried setting up a Network drive
    > that points to it but I still get the same error.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction.

    It could be that the user account that the backup is running under doesn't
    have access to the shares. It it running from the Scheduled Tasks ? You can
    change the user account it runs from there.

  3. Re: Samba and Windows Backup

    Paul writes:

    >I have a Samba server running on my network that has assorted password
    >protected file shares that are accessable from windows machines via
    >windows file sharing on the network with no problems.
    >
    >Tha problem arises when I try to use Windows back up program to back
    >up to the network file share. It can see the file share but I recieve
    >the error message "\\{Samba Server}\{folder} is not accessible. You
    >might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
    >administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    >permissions. Access is denied."
    >
    >If I go into the same folder via Windows Explorer I can access and
    >save to it without any issues. I have tried setting up a Network drive
    >that points to it but I still get the same error.

    Just to be sure, you are not running the backup program under the SYSTEM
    account?
    If not, I think we may have had the same problem. We use Samba 3.0.5 (?)
    on our backup server for the Windows servers. In August NTbackup failed
    with a message about "invalid drive". And like you we could access the
    drive via Windows Explorer.
    We think it started after a Windows patch, but we don't know which one.
    (because we noticed the failed backups way too late :-( ).
    NTbackup could still access an old server with Samba 2.2.
    We upgraded our backup server to the latest Samba 3.0.7 and all problems
    are solved.

    Groeten,
    - Ate -
    --
    Ate Brink
    Systems Administrator, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University

+ Reply to Thread