Dual personallity configuration broke with WinXP - SMB

This is a discussion on Dual personallity configuration broke with WinXP - SMB ; I had a Samba system acting as a PDC and used an alias to separate the functions. The netbios name is the logon server with no shares other than [netlogon]. The netbios alias is servicing the shares which were loaded ...

  1. Dual personallity configuration broke with WinXP

    I had a Samba system acting as a PDC and used an alias to separate the
    functions. The netbios name is the logon server with no shares other than
    [netlogon]. The netbios alias is servicing the shares which were loaded with
    an separate config file.

    [global]
    server string = Samba Server %v
    workgroup = PSGEOMAT
    netbios name = checkin
    netbios alias = central-two
    domain master = Yes
    domain logons = Yes
    config file = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L

    I added a WinXP system and it broke. It doesn't sent the netbios name on
    port 445, so the second configuration file is never loaded. This is noted in
    the 3.0 smb.conf documentation.

    I looked for a fix and the only method I seen was to run two nmbd daemons on
    separate interfaces and separate smb.conf files. Sounds great in practice,
    one process handling file sharing and the other the logon services. However
    I get the error:

    ERROR: nmbd is already running. File /var/run/nmbd.pid exists and process id
    2942 is running.

    I tried renaming the file to nmbdII, but that didn't fool it. Any
    suggestions of how to get around this problem ? Do I have to recompile a new
    nmbd to get it to put the pid somewhere else ?

  2. Re: [Solved] Dual personallity configuration broke with WinXP

    "m.marien" wrote in message
    >I had a Samba system acting as a PDC and used an alias to separate the
    >functions. The netbios name is the logon server with no shares other than
    >[netlogon]. The netbios alias is servicing the shares which were loaded
    >with an separate config file.
    >
    > [global]
    > server string = Samba Server %v
    > workgroup = PSGEOMAT
    > netbios name = checkin
    > netbios alias = central-two
    > domain master = Yes
    > domain logons = Yes
    > config file = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L
    >
    > I added a WinXP system and it broke. It doesn't sent the netbios name on
    > port 445, so the second configuration file is never loaded. This is noted
    > in the 3.0 smb.conf documentation.
    >
    > I looked for a fix and the only method I seen was to run two nmbd daemons
    > on separate interfaces and separate smb.conf files. Sounds great in
    > practice, one process handling file sharing and the other the logon
    > services. However I get the error:
    >
    > ERROR: nmbd is already running. File /var/run/nmbd.pid exists and process
    > id 2942 is running.
    >
    > I tried renaming the file to nmbdII, but that didn't fool it. Any
    > suggestions of how to get around this problem ? Do I have to recompile a
    > new nmbd to get it to put the pid somewhere else ?

    Solved it. I recompiled and specified a different directory for the pid
    (./configure --help). You also need two smb.conf files. One for the PDC...

    [global]
    server string = Samba PDC Server %v
    workgroup = PSGEOMAT
    netbios name = checkin

    security = user
    domain master = Yes
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 65
    logon path =
    logon home =
    encrypt passwords = Yes

    interfaces = 192.168.0.5/24 127.0.0.1
    bind interfaces only = true

    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 200

    And one for the member server:..

    [global]
    server string = Samba Server %v
    workgroup = PSGEOMAT
    netbios name = central-two

    security = domain
    encrypt passwords = Yes

    interfaces = 192.168.0.4/24
    bind interfaces only = true

    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log.II
    max log size = 200

    Basically, you need two of everything. I specified the smb.conf file on the
    command line, but I think that can be compiled in also. I got a bit of and
    error when I joined the member server to the domain:

    [root@amos-rh sbin]# ../bin/net join -U root
    root's password:
    [2004/10/20 21:00:04, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(183)
    ads_connect: Transport endpoint is not connected
    Joined domain PSGEOMAT.

    That could come from the fact that the PDC is also running on the same
    computer.

    Final thought. How does the net join command figure out which netbios name
    to join to the domain?? It can figure out the PDC and workgroup from the
    smb.conf file, but since there are two nmbd running, it would have to figure
    out what name it's going to use.

+ Reply to Thread