Samba 3 user adding problem - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3 user adding problem - SMB ; I'm trying to set up Samba 3 for the first time (having got used to 2.x). It's 3.0.5 on Slackware 10. When I try to add users I get ' Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user jakes2. Failed to modify ...

  1. Samba 3 user adding problem

    I'm trying to set up Samba 3 for the first time (having got used to 2.x).
    It's 3.0.5 on Slackware 10.

    When I try to add users I get '
    Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user jakes2.
    Failed to modify password entry for user jakes2
    '

    Even running with '-D2' fails to add anything to this.

    I've tried passdb=tdb and passdb = smbpasswd with no change.

    the addusr script setting is correct.

    Anyone got any ideas plkease ?

  2. Re: Samba 3 user adding problem

    Keith Matthews wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up Samba 3 for the first time (having got used to 2.x).
    > It's 3.0.5 on Slackware 10.
    >
    > When I try to add users I get '
    > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user jakes2.
    > Failed to modify password entry for user jakes2
    > '
    >
    > Even running with '-D2' fails to add anything to this.
    >
    > I've tried passdb=tdb and passdb = smbpasswd with no change.
    >
    > the addusr script setting is correct.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas plkease ?

    OK, solved it myself (after much digging around) - the Unix username was
    missing.

    Probably should be in a FAQ somewhere, although the diagnostic could be a
    lot clearer.

+ Reply to Thread