No RFC for SMB protocol ??? - SMB

This is a discussion on No RFC for SMB protocol ??? - SMB ; Hi, I've tried to search for a RFC about SMB protocol but I've found none (but I found much information about SMB on the web...). It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ? Where can one get ...

  1. No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    Hi,

    I've tried to search for a RFC about SMB protocol but I've found none
    (but I found much information about SMB on the web...).

    It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ? Where can one
    get the full spec ?
    Thanks

  2. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    ?code wrote:

    > It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ?

    Yep.

    > Where can one
    > get the full spec ?

    You're quite funny Thanks, you made me laugh *G*

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
    2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c

  3. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    "Alexander W. Skwar" wrote in message news:<41654B1A.8080602@mid.message-center.info>...
    > ?code wrote:
    >
    > > It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ?

    > Yep.
    >
    > > Where can one
    > > get the full spec ?

    > You're quite funny Thanks, you made me laugh *G*
    >
    > Alexander Skwar

    LoL... Happy to make you smile and even laugh
    But... My question is a real question !!! I've searched in RFCs but
    did not find any RFCs related to SMB...

    Would it be possible, dear Mister, to explain why this makes you laugh
    ???

    I've searched around the internet and found many documentation about
    SMB (the hex values and hex commands, parameters... that can be found
    in a SMB packet). But I would like to find something official

    Anyway, thank you !

  4. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    "?code" wrote in message
    news:480bd64a.0410110536.645d25d9@posting.google.c om...
    > "Alexander W. Skwar" wrote in message
    >> ?code wrote:
    >>
    >> > It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ?

    >> Yep.
    >>
    >> > Where can one
    >> > get the full spec ?

    >> You're quite funny Thanks, you made me laugh *G*
    >>
    >> Alexander Skwar

    > LoL... Happy to make you smile and even laugh
    > But... My question is a real question !!! I've searched in RFCs but
    > did not find any RFCs related to SMB...
    >
    > Would it be possible, dear Mister, to explain why this makes you laugh
    > ???
    >

    > I've searched around the internet and found many documentation about
    > SMB (the hex values and hex commands, parameters... that can be found
    > in a SMB packet). But I would like to find something official
    >
    > Anyway, thank you !

    I think what he is saying is that there is no official RFC for the SMB
    protocol. There is some background information in the Samba HOW-TO

    http://ca.samba.org/samba/devel/docs....html#IntroSMB

    Basically MS does what it wants and because of the huge number of Windows
    systems can do that without much opposition. That's the upside of unfettered
    free enterprise.

  5. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    m.marien wrote:
    > "?code" wrote in message
    > news:480bd64a.0410110536.645d25d9@posting.google.c om...
    >> "Alexander W. Skwar" wrote in message

    >>> Yep.

    >>> You're quite funny Thanks, you made me laugh *G*
    >>>
    >>> Alexander Skwar

    >> LoL... Happy to make you smile and even laugh
    >> But... My question is a real question !!! I've searched in RFCs but
    >> did not find any RFCs related to SMB...
    >>
    >> Would it be possible, dear Mister, to explain why this makes you laugh
    >> ???
    >>

    >> I've searched around the internet and found many documentation about
    >> SMB (the hex values and hex commands, parameters... that can be found
    >> in a SMB packet). But I would like to find something official
    >>
    >> Anyway, thank you !

    > I think what he is saying is that there is no official RFC for the SMB
    > protocol.

    Yes, exactly. Basically, Samba is nothing but a "hack" of reverse
    engineered code/protocols, since SMB (and even CIFS? Don't know that
    for sure, though) is not open.

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    BOFH Excuse #43:

    boss forgot system password
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  6. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    > m.marien wrote:
    >
    >>"?code" wrote in message
    >>news:480bd64a.0410110536.645d25d9@posting.google.c om...
    >>
    >>>"Alexander W. Skwar" wrote in message

    >>>LoL... Happy to make you smile and even laugh
    >>>But... My question is a real question !!! I've searched in RFCs but
    >>>did not find any RFCs related to SMB...
    >>>
    >>>Would it be possible, dear Mister, to explain why this makes you laugh
    >>> ???
    >>>

    >>>I've searched around the internet and found many documentation about
    >>>SMB (the hex values and hex commands, parameters... that can be found
    >>>in a SMB packet). But I would like to find something official
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, thank you !

    >>I think what he is saying is that there is no official RFC for the SMB
    >>protocol.

    > Yes, exactly. Basically, Samba is nothing but a "hack" of reverse
    > engineered code/protocols, since SMB (and even CIFS? Don't know that
    > for sure, though) is not open.

    The only relevant RFCs seem to be RFC1001 and RFC1002.

    RFC1001 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1001.txt) is titled "PROTOCOL
    STANDARD FOR A NetBIOS SERVICE ON A TCP/UDP TRANSPORT: CONCEPTS AND METHODS".

    RFC1002 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1002.txt) is titled "PROTOCOL
    STANDARD FOR A NetBIOS SERVICE ON A TCP/UDP TRANSPORT: DETAILED SPECIFICATIONS".

    Microsoft claims to have built CIFS on RFC1001 and RFC1002 (see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ementation.asp
    )

    - --
    Lew Pitcher

  7. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:19:01 -0600,
    m.marien , in
    <10mlg4588md6d6b@corp.supernews.com> wrote:

    >+ Basically MS does what it wants and because of the huge number of Windows
    >+ systems can do that without much opposition. That's the upside of unfettered
    >+ free enterprise.

    Oh, I dunno. They have to remain bug-compatible with earlier versions
    of their OS in terms of file and printer sharing. They're not
    *completely* unfettered.

    Just mostly.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    "I R A Darth Aggie" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:19:01 -0600,
    > m.marien , in
    > <10mlg4588md6d6b@corp.supernews.com> wrote:
    >
    >>+ Basically MS does what it wants and because of the huge number of
    >>Windows
    >>+ systems can do that without much opposition. That's the upside of
    >>unfettered
    >>+ free enterprise.

    > Oh, I dunno. They have to remain bug-compatible with earlier versions
    > of their OS in terms of file and printer sharing. They're not
    > *completely* unfettered.
    >
    > Just mostly.

    Good point.

  9. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:<10moqk08bvej9ae@corp.supernews.com>...
    > "I R A Darth Aggie" wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:19:01 -0600,
    > > m.marien , in
    > > <10mlg4588md6d6b@corp.supernews.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>+ Basically MS does what it wants and because of the huge number of
    > >>Windows
    > >>+ systems can do that without much opposition. That's the upside of
    > >>unfettered
    > >>+ free enterprise.

    > > Oh, I dunno. They have to remain bug-compatible with earlier versions
    > > of their OS in terms of file and printer sharing. They're not
    > > *completely* unfettered.
    > >
    > > Just mostly.
    > >

    > Good point.

    Thank you all
    I really can't understand that the most information we can get about
    SMB is given by people who have reversed SMB to create SAMBA !!!
    Incredible...

  10. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    If you go to the SNIA (Storage Network Industry Association) website,

    http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/CIFS/

    You will see a link to a PDF file titled CIFS Technical Reference which
    details much of the SMB protocol. Not everything is there obviously. For
    example, details of the RPC calls. are not talked about in detail, if at
    all.but it's a good starting point and a good general reference.

    "?code" wrote in message
    news:480bd64a.0410070553.5a26ca7e@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've tried to search for a RFC about SMB protocol but I've found none
    > (but I found much information about SMB on the web...).
    >
    > It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ? Where can one
    > get the full spec ?
    > Thanks

  11. Re: No RFC for SMB protocol ???

    Thank you very much for this link
    The PDF document contains very important information about SMB and the
    way to programmatically set and retrieve data from SMB packets
    (structures, commands code etc...)

    That's exactly what i needed !!! Thanks

    "punk" wrote in message news:...
    > If you go to the SNIA (Storage Network Industry Association) website,
    >
    > http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/CIFS/
    >
    > You will see a link to a PDF file titled CIFS Technical Reference which
    > details much of the SMB protocol. Not everything is there obviously. For
    > example, details of the RPC calls. are not talked about in detail, if at
    > all.but it's a good starting point and a good general reference.
    >

    > "?code" wrote in message
    > news:480bd64a.0410070553.5a26ca7e@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've tried to search for a RFC about SMB protocol but I've found none
    > > (but I found much information about SMB on the web...).
    > >
    > > It seems that SMB is a Microsoft protocol, isn't it ? Where can one
    > > get the full spec ?
    > > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread