Samba 3.0.5 with NT4 Server style policies - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3.0.5 with NT4 Server style policies - SMB ; Hi all, I want to asked a question. I have a debian Linux server with samba 3 installed and configured as a primary domain controller. This a server that is going to be used in school environment. That is I ...

  1. Samba 3.0.5 with NT4 Server style policies

    Hi all,

    I want to asked a question. I have a debian Linux server with samba 3
    installed and configured as a primary domain controller. This a server
    that is going to be used in school environment. That is I want student
    accounts to be totally locked out of everything. The client side WinXP
    Pro is going to login with student account for say user "Steve" and load
    default student (mandatory) profile with all the start menu items
    student user should have. All this setup is regulated by NT4 style group
    policies.

    I have setup the server and it works. All the authentication works. I
    can login and logout. Roaming profiles work, even though I'm not using
    them except for one type of account (student). I have setup a test user
    that has profile and policies configured. This test user is part of
    group "students" and that group has certain policies assigned to it to
    lock out users from anything they shouldn't touch (command prompt,
    control panel etc). When I try using this same user policies for group
    student on another user who is also part of group "students" i run into
    a problem.

    Even though the default profile loads correctly from the template
    student profile folder on the server. The policies don't get applied.
    You can see that account is restricted but things like control panel is
    accessible but not fully, and command prompt is available. This is what
    puzzles me.

    I have checked permissions and I have checked a lot of registry issues
    that might lead to problems with default profiles but nothing seems to
    solve this little problem. As far as I can see it works for one account
    but does not work for the rest. Another thing is. If you delete local
    profiles and then restart the machine, the new user will pick up
    policies and profile setting correctly from the server for the first
    login but if you try logging out and logging back in, it will login
    without applying the policies.

    If any of you had this problem and solved, it would be great to hear
    from you. Or maybe you have some ideas about it.

    Please help.

    All the best

  2. Re: Samba 3.0.5 with NT4 Server style policies

    Just want to add.

    The WinXP client is running SP1.

    The password backend is tdsam.

    I have read a lot of success stories about this sortof configuration and
    just think this is a minor problem.

    Dan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to asked a question. I have a debian Linux server with samba 3
    > installed and configured as a primary domain controller. This a server
    > that is going to be used in school environment. That is I want student
    > accounts to be totally locked out of everything. The client side WinXP
    > Pro is going to login with student account for say user "Steve" and load
    > default student (mandatory) profile with all the start menu items
    > student user should have. All this setup is regulated by NT4 style group
    > policies.
    >
    > I have setup the server and it works. All the authentication works. I
    > can login and logout. Roaming profiles work, even though I'm not using
    > them except for one type of account (student). I have setup a test user
    > that has profile and policies configured. This test user is part of
    > group "students" and that group has certain policies assigned to it to
    > lock out users from anything they shouldn't touch (command prompt,
    > control panel etc). When I try using this same user policies for group
    > student on another user who is also part of group "students" i run into
    > a problem.
    >
    > Even though the default profile loads correctly from the template
    > student profile folder on the server. The policies don't get applied.
    > You can see that account is restricted but things like control panel is
    > accessible but not fully, and command prompt is available. This is what
    > puzzles me.
    >
    > I have checked permissions and I have checked a lot of registry issues
    > that might lead to problems with default profiles but nothing seems to
    > solve this little problem. As far as I can see it works for one account
    > but does not work for the rest. Another thing is. If you delete local
    > profiles and then restart the machine, the new user will pick up
    > policies and profile setting correctly from the server for the first
    > login but if you try logging out and logging back in, it will login
    > without applying the policies.
    >

    > If any of you had this problem and solved, it would be great to hear
    > from you. Or maybe you have some ideas about it.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > All the best

+ Reply to Thread