Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2 - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2 - SMB ; Hi all. I have a user who recently installed XP SP2 on his machine. Our server is a Red Hat 9 box with Samba 2.2.7a acting as an NT-style PDC. After the install, he got an error, "could not log ...

  1. Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2

    Hi all. I have a user who recently installed XP SP2 on his machine. Our
    server is a Red Hat 9 box with Samba 2.2.7a acting as an NT-style PDC.

    After the install, he got an error, "could not log you on to the
    domain..." something like that. Unfortunately I do not know the exact
    error.

    Windows XP then proceeded to log him on with a *local* profile.

    He was told that he needed to change his Firewall settings. He did, and
    now has access to the Samba PDC as well as all of its shares. However, his
    roaming profile is gone!

    I looked on the server (SSH login, su to root) and found that his
    ~username/profile directory, where his profile was stored previously, is
    intact and complete.

    Strangely, if I log on as another domain user on his WinXP workstation,
    the roaming profile is found and is okay.

    Questions:

    1) How can I point his domain user account back to his roaming profile?
    Will I need to be administrator to do it? Will it have to be
    DOMAIN/administrator or will local administrator be allright? Or is this
    configured on the server?

    2) Should I upgrade to Samba 3?

    Thanks!!!

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffreyPANTS@jhu.edu
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

  2. Re: Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:08:15 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:12:33 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >
    >> 1) How can I point his domain user account back to his roaming profile?
    >> Will I need to be administrator to do it? Will it have to be
    >> DOMAIN/administrator or will local administrator be allright? Or is this
    >> configured on the server?

    >I have solved the problem. Here is me posting in response to myself. Hi,
    >me! You are cool. Here is some closure...

    snip
    >Thank you, Jeff. You are the best. Really, you are.

    except & AFAIK, that you missed that the article is well pre-SP2 ..
    :-) :-)

  3. Re: Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:16:41 +0200, imbsysop wrote:

    > except & AFAIK, that you missed that the article is well pre-SP2 ..

    Hmm... Well, it solved my problem.

    Any issues relating to XP SP2 and the problem I was having?

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffreyPANTS@jhu.edu
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

  4. Re: Samba 2.2.7a and windows XP SP2

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:53:33 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:16:41 +0200, imbsysop wrote:
    >
    >> except & AFAIK, that you missed that the article is well pre-SP2 ..

    >Hmm... Well, it solved my problem.
    >
    >Any issues relating to XP SP2 and the problem I was having?

    haven't seen any .. running a 15 machine node with a samba
    authentication & roaming profile server (RH9 samba 2.2.8a) .. updated
    everything to the latest .. nothing weird so far :-)
    (except the issue with the security control center, see other thread a
    few days ago)

+ Reply to Thread