I have not been able to get smbpasswd to work on a new Samba 3.0.7
installation. (It's built from source, installed on a Mandrake 10
system.) If you try to add, modify, or delete a user, no error messages
are issued on the screen or in the logs but the action is simply not
carried out in the user database. Samba is configured as a PDC, and
the smb.conf was taken from an operational Samba 3.0.6 server. The
following is "passdb backend" option in smb.conf:

passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/private/passdb.tdb

....and this does point to the actual user database file. For now I have
used pdbedit to populate the database, but there does not seem to be
an option in that program to change the password of an existing user.(?)

It's a bewildering problem, have not seen it before. Google searches
for an answer have been fruitless so far, so any help with this would
really be appreciated!

Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)