I have not been able to get smbpasswd to work on a new Samba 3.0.7
installation. (It's built from source, installed on a Mandrake 10
system.) If you try to add, modify, or delete a user, no error messages
are issued on the screen or in the logs but the action is simply not
carried out in the user database. Samba is configured as a PDC, and
the smb.conf was taken from an operational Samba 3.0.6 server. The
following is "passdb backend" option in smb.conf:

passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/private/passdb.tdb

....and this does point to the actual user database file. For now I have
used pdbedit to populate the database, but there does not seem to be
an option in that program to change the password of an existing user.(?)

It's a bewildering problem, have not seen it before. Google searches
for an answer have been fruitless so far, so any help with this would
really be appreciated!

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)