I've recently installed Fedora Core 2 (updated kernel to 2.6.8-1.521),
with Samba 3.0.7-2.FC2. Our network is a Windows NT4 domain, with a PDC
called Dept_Server running a workgroup/domain called Radphysics.

Now, I have no idea if I'm logging on to the domain at all - I have SMB
and WinBind checked in System Settings->Authentication.

My problem is browsing the windows workgroups/domains we have here. when
I go to Network Servers, it takes about 10 seconds to show anything, and
"Windows Network" is listed. Double-clicking that goes to smb:/// with
nothing displayed.

If I try going to smb://dept_server/I get nothing displayed, or a "no
permission to access" error.
If I type smb://dept_server/users/ I get asked to unlock my keyring -then
Nautilus takes about 50 seconds to show the contents of that share.
Double-clicking on folders inside /users (such as /users/ian) takes
another 50 seconds to show what's in there. Each directory takes up to a
minute to display its contents. Copying files is also ridiculously slow,
to the extent that a lot of them time out.

Something is obviously working, because I can (eventually) see the files
on the server's shares. But it's also obviously broken.

The things I need are:
1) To be able to access //dept_server/ quickly, and all its
subdirectories.
2) Ideally to do this without passwords - i.e. make sure I'm logging on to
the domain
3) See all the computers in the local domain listed
4) See the domain listed underneath "Windows network"

5) Also, we have multiple domains here, all running off different servers
- it would be nice to be able to see those domains too.

All this works in Windows - why not in Fedora with samba installed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I list my smb.conf at the bottom
here.

--
Ian Cowley

SMB.conf:
=========
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
workgroup = radphysics

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = SambaServer

; hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

; printing = bsd

; guest account = pcguest

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
security = domain
# Use password server option only with security = server
; password server =

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
; password level = 8
; username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
; unix password sync = Yes
; passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
; passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
; username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
; include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
remote browse sync = 212.196.211.78
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
remote announce = 212.196.211.78

# Browser Control Options:
local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
os level = 3

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
; domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
; preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
; domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
; logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
; logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
; logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
wins server = 193.130.72.206

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
wins proxy = no

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
dns proxy = yes

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
; preserve case = no
; short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
; default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
; case sensitive = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
template shell = /bin/false
winbind use default domain = yes
guest ok = yes
guest account = games
password server = DEPT_SERVER
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
writeable = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space
path = /tmp
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /home/ian/pub