Win XP SP2 .. & Samba - SMB

This is a discussion on Win XP SP2 .. & Samba - SMB ; Hi, Can anyone provide better insight than I have at the moment ? I upgraded my student's node of XP machines but the Win security center control panel gives me the message that the domain administrator will make the settings ...

  1. Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    Hi,

    Can anyone provide better insight than I have at the moment ?

    I upgraded my student's node of XP machines but the Win security center
    control panel gives me the message that the domain administrator will make
    the settings on the domain controller .. caveat .. the PDC is a linuxmachine
    with samba .. now what next ? ..
    anyone ?

    TIA

  2. Re: Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    When Windows XP SP2 is part of a domain, the security settings can
    only be set via Group Security Policies. The local policies are not
    used. I don't know whether or not Samba can publish Group Security
    Policies or not.

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:32:21 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    wrote:

    >imbsysop wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone provide better insight than I have at the moment ?
    >>
    >> I upgraded my student's node of XP machines but the Win security center
    >> control panel gives me the message that the domain administrator will make
    >> the settings on the domain controller .. caveat .. the PDC is a linuxmachine
    >> with samba .. now what next ? ..
    >> anyone ?
    >>

    >When Windows XP SP2 is part of a domain, the security settings can
    >only be set via Group Security Policies. The local policies are not
    >used. I don't know whether or not Samba can publish Group Security
    >Policies or not.

    Do you mean that the PDC should distribute the security based on a
    Group security policy model residing on the domain controller ?

  4. Re: Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:32:21 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    > wrote:
    >

    >>imbsysop wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone provide better insight than I have at the moment ?
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded my student's node of XP machines but the Win security center
    >>> control panel gives me the message that the domain administrator will
    >>> make
    >>> the settings on the domain controller .. caveat .. the PDC is a
    >>> linuxmachine
    >>> with samba .. now what next ? ..
    >>> anyone ?
    >>>

    >>When Windows XP SP2 is part of a domain, the security settings can
    >>only be set via Group Security Policies. The local policies are not
    >>used. I don't know whether or not Samba can publish Group Security
    >>Policies or not.
    >>

    > Do you mean that the PDC should distribute the security based on a
    > Group security policy model residing on the domain controller ?

    The way I read it, it means that because your computers are a member of a
    domain, the administrator is _assumed_ to be a domain administrator. It
    specifically states:

    "The security settings on this computer are managed by a network
    administrator because it is part of a domain ..."

    This is probably not the same working on a standalone XP system. In the
    domain, there are the domain security policies (as opposed to local security
    policies) that can be applied to the domain. Logon times, password policies,
    etc are all domain policies in an NT domain, administered by the domain
    administrator.

  5. Re: Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "imbsysop" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:32:21 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    >> wrote:

    >>>When Windows XP SP2 is part of a domain, the security settings can
    >>>only be set via Group Security Policies. The local policies are not
    >>>used. I don't know whether or not Samba can publish Group Security
    >>>Policies or not.
    >>>

    >> Do you mean that the PDC should distribute the security based on a
    >> Group security policy model residing on the domain controller ?
    >>

    > The way I read it, it means that because your computers are a member of a
    > domain, the administrator is _assumed_ to be a domain administrator. It
    > specifically states:
    >
    > "The security settings on this computer are managed by a network
    > administrator because it is part of a domain ..."
    >
    > This is probably not the same working on a standalone XP system. In the
    > domain, there are the domain security policies (as opposed to local
    > security policies) that can be applied to the domain. Logon times,
    > password policies, etc are all domain policies in an NT domain,
    > administered by the domain administrator.

    thnx .. that is also the way I understood it but maybe I did not phrase my Q
    too well .. I meant .. because the workstations are domain members does this
    imply that the domain controller is an "Active Directory" device under some
    WinXX OS that runs a central domain security policy ? .. As my PDC is a
    Samba server I do not see too well how to implement that ? or am I missing
    the point here and are the domain policies to be installed on a "per/PC"
    basis ? ..

  6. Re: Win XP SP2 .. & Samba

    "imbsysop" wrote in message

    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "imbsysop" wrote in message

    >>> Do you mean that the PDC should distribute the security based on a
    >>> Group security policy model residing on the domain controller ?
    >>>

    >> The way I read it, it means that because your computers are a member of a
    >> domain, the administrator is _assumed_ to be a domain administrator. It
    >> specifically states:
    >>
    >> "The security settings on this computer are managed by a network
    >> administrator because it is part of a domain ..."
    >>
    >> This is probably not the same working on a standalone XP system. In the
    >> domain, there are the domain security policies (as opposed to local
    >> security policies) that can be applied to the domain. Logon times,
    >> password policies, etc are all domain policies in an NT domain,
    >> administered by the domain administrator.
    >>

    > thnx .. that is also the way I understood it but maybe I did not phrase my
    > too well .. I meant .. because the workstations are domain members does
    > this
    > imply that the domain controller is an "Active Directory" device under
    > some
    > WinXX OS that runs a central domain security policy ? .. As my PDC is a
    > Samba server I do not see too well how to implement that ? or am I missing
    > the point here and are the domain policies to be installed on a "per/PC"
    > basis ? ..

    If you're suggesting that WinXP SP2 somehow changed the way AD works I
    missed that part. It does say:

    Windows Security Center checks the status of your computer for the three
    security essentials listed below. If a problem is detected with any of the
    three essentials (for example, if your antivirus program is out of date),
    the Security Center sends you an alert and provides recommendations for how
    to better protect your computer.

    a.. Firewall: A firewall helps protect your computer by preventing
    unauthorized users from gaining access to it through a network or the
    Internet. Windows checks to see if your computer is protected by a software
    firewall.
    b.. Virus protection software: Antivirus software can help protect your
    computer against viruses and other security threats. Windows checks to see
    if your computer is using a full, up-to-date antivirus program.
    c.. Automatic Updates: With Automatic Updates, Windows can routinely check
    for the latest important updates for your computer and install them
    automatically.
    The Security Center can also help you:

    a.. Find out about the latest viruses or other security threats.
    b.. Get customer support from Microsoft for a security-related issue.
    Notes

    a.. To open the Security Center, click Start, click Control Panel, and
    then click Security Center.
    b.. Windows checks for many common antivirus and firewall programs that
    are on the market today, but it's possible that you might be using a program
    that Windows can't find. For more information about using antivirus and
    firewall software that Windows doesn't find, click Related Topics.
    c.. If your computer is part of a domain (a group of computers on a
    network), your security settings are typically managed by your network
    administrator. In this case, the Security Center does not display your
    security status or send alerts.
    So basically it checks your system for those three items - if it's not a
    member of a domain - last note.

    As far as domain security group policies, there are more tools and options
    if you have a Windows DC, but installing the XP SP2 doesn't invalidate Samba
    as a DC.

+ Reply to Thread