Samba Quota - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba Quota - SMB ; Hello Everyone, I am having RedHat 7.2 and it is connected in a Microsoft network as a file server. Is there any way I can set the disk quota for the clients in Samba or other with other ways? Thank ...

  1. Samba Quota

    Hello Everyone,

    I am having RedHat 7.2 and it is connected in a Microsoft network as a file
    server. Is there any way I can set the disk quota for the clients in Samba
    or other with other ways?

    Thank you

  2. Re: Samba Quota

    Phang Wui Toon wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am having RedHat 7.2 and it is connected in a Microsoft network as a
    > file
    > server. Is there any way I can set the disk quota for the clients in
    > Samba or other with other ways?
    >
    > Thank you

    Hard to set quotas the way you would expect. The POSIX API can be pretty
    strange - and quota is the perfect example. POSIX does not specify a way
    that quotas can be set for network filesystems (the POSIX Quota API
    requires a local device name as input parm). What this means is that you
    can't use the standard quota tools but NFS gets around this with NFS
    specific quota tools and you can do more or less the same thing the same
    thing by using the Samba command line tool smbcquotas (do "man smbcquotas")
    for more info. I was thinking of adding support for quotas into the Linux
    cifs vfs client as an ioctl if enough people want it - eventually we will
    have to get a fix for the missing quota syscall (ie one which allows a path
    name rather than device name as input) but in the meantime you have to use
    a distinct tool like smbcquotas or perhaps use a cifs ioctl in the future.

+ Reply to Thread