Upgrade to Samba 3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!? - SMB

This is a discussion on Upgrade to Samba 3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!? - SMB ; Hi All! I am running debian testing (Sarge) and just upgraded to samba 3.0.7. As a result of this upgrade samba is now broken in a very odd way: I can log in (share level security) and browse the file ...

  1. Upgrade to Samba 3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!?

    Hi All!

    I am running debian testing (Sarge) and just upgraded to samba 3.0.7. As
    a result of this upgrade samba is now broken in a very odd way:

    I can log in (share level security) and browse the file tree, but when I
    try to transfer files using smbclient or WinXP the data transfer hangs
    and I need to CTRL-C out of smbclient. Sometimes smbclient will manage
    to transfer the file before it hangs but the file will contain a binary
    header that was not part of the original file, e.g. (there are no
    linebreaks in the binary part, I added them for legibility):

    ^@^@^USMB.^@^@^@^@<88>
    ^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
    ^A^@ESC^P^@^@^K^@^L^@^@
    ^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^U;^@
    ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^UDSCN9872.JPG
    CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    METERING : MATRIX

    Instead of:

    DSCN9872.JPG
    CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    METERING : MATRIX

    I suspected that maybe there might be an issue with the debian
    binary package so I rebuilt from source but I still get the same error.

    I also thought that this might be a protocol issue and that the new
    server might want to communicate on a different port but even opening
    all firewalling does not change the behaviour.

    Finally I considered the possibility that the old config file might
    contain some setup option that might not be compatible with the new
    version of samba, but it doesn't work with the default smb.conf file either.

    Any ideas or suggestions or comments on why this behavior might occur
    would be very welcom as I am dependent on a working samba server.

    Thanks,

    Rudolf

  2. Samba 3.0.7 debian not working, HELP!!! (was Re: Upgrade to Samba3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!?)

    Ok, so I went through all the trouble to build a new STABLE server only
    to find that samba 3.0.7-1 is the preferred version for that distro as
    well AND has the same problem: it will not transfer data. To me this
    would rule out the following:

    * it's not a data transfer error on my side
    * it's not a problem specific to the use of TESTING distro

    The problem is that there are no error messages etc, so I have no
    way of debugging what is wrong. Anyone got a suggestion for a workaround?

    Thanks,

    Rudolf

    Rudolf Potucek wrote:

    > Hi All!
    >
    > I am running debian testing (Sarge) and just upgraded to samba 3.0.7. As
    > a result of this upgrade samba is now broken in a very odd way:
    >
    > I can log in (share level security) and browse the file tree, but when I
    > try to transfer files using smbclient or WinXP the data transfer hangs
    > and I need to CTRL-C out of smbclient. Sometimes smbclient will manage
    > to transfer the file before it hangs but the file will contain a binary
    > header that was not part of the original file, e.g. (there are no
    > linebreaks in the binary part, I added them for legibility):
    >
    > ^@^@^USMB.^@^@^@^@<88>
    > ^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
    > ^A^@ESC^P^@^@^K^@^L^@^@
    > ^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^U;^@
    > ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^UDSCN9872.JPG
    > CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    > METERING : MATRIX
    >
    > Instead of:
    >
    > DSCN9872.JPG
    > CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    > METERING : MATRIX
    >
    > I suspected that maybe there might be an issue with the debian
    > binary package so I rebuilt from source but I still get the same error.
    >
    > I also thought that this might be a protocol issue and that the new
    > server might want to communicate on a different port but even opening
    > all firewalling does not change the behaviour.
    >
    > Finally I considered the possibility that the old config file might
    > contain some setup option that might not be compatible with the new
    > version of samba, but it doesn't work with the default smb.conf file
    > either.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions or comments on why this behavior might occur
    > would be very welcom as I am dependent on a working samba server.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rudolf

  3. Re: Samba 3.0.7 debian not working, HELP!!! (was Re: Upgrade to Samba3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!?)

    Oops ...

    Ok, I spoke too soon and I accidentally installed a clean version of
    TESTING again ... anyhow, I quickly reinstalled STABLE and that works.

    HOWEVER, I also found some binary distros of 3.0.7 at hu-berlin.de which
    work just fine, while those I downloaded from my local mirror
    (cpsc.mirror.ucalgary.ca) do not work ... do the .deb files have
    checksums for selfvalidation? How likely is is that one of the packages
    is broken on the mirror?

    Rudolf

    Rudolf Potucek wrote:

    > Ok, so I went through all the trouble to build a new STABLE server only
    > to find that samba 3.0.7-1 is the preferred version for that distro as
    > well AND has the same problem: it will not transfer data. To me this
    > would rule out the following:
    >
    > * it's not a data transfer error on my side
    > * it's not a problem specific to the use of TESTING distro
    >
    > The problem is that there are no error messages etc, so I have no
    > way of debugging what is wrong. Anyone got a suggestion for a workaround?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rudolf
    >
    > Rudolf Potucek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All!
    >>
    >> I am running debian testing (Sarge) and just upgraded to samba 3.0.7.
    >> As a result of this upgrade samba is now broken in a very odd way:
    >>
    >> I can log in (share level security) and browse the file tree, but when
    >> I try to transfer files using smbclient or WinXP the data transfer
    >> hangs and I need to CTRL-C out of smbclient. Sometimes smbclient will
    >> manage to transfer the file before it hangs but the file will contain
    >> a binary header that was not part of the original file, e.g. (there
    >> are no linebreaks in the binary part, I added them for legibility):
    >>
    >> ^@^@^USMB.^@^@^@^@<88>
    >> ^A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
    >> ^A^@ESC^P^@^@^K^@^L^@^@
    >> ^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^U;^@
    >> ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<9C>^UDSCN9872.JPG
    >> CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    >> METERING : MATRIX
    >>
    >> Instead of:
    >>
    >> DSCN9872.JPG
    >> CAMERA : E4500V1.1
    >> METERING : MATRIX
    >>
    >> I suspected that maybe there might be an issue with the debian
    >> binary package so I rebuilt from source but I still get the same error.
    >>
    >> I also thought that this might be a protocol issue and that the new
    >> server might want to communicate on a different port but even opening
    >> all firewalling does not change the behaviour.
    >>
    >> Finally I considered the possibility that the old config file might
    >> contain some setup option that might not be compatible with the new
    >> version of samba, but it doesn't work with the default smb.conf file
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or suggestions or comments on why this behavior might occur
    >> would be very welcom as I am dependent on a working samba server.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Rudolf

  4. Re: Samba 3.0.7 debian not working, HELP!!! (was Re: Upgrade to Samba 3.0.7 ... now data transfer hangs?!?)

    I guess this is a "known" bug (numbers 269587 and 275741) as posted
    here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3DN%26tab%3Dwg

    The suggested solutions are:

    * use the version from backports.org