unable to print on W98 from linux - SMB

This is a discussion on unable to print on W98 from linux - SMB ; Hi all, i' ve a big problem configuring a printer installed on Windows 98 and shared on LAN, on my laptop. I'm using a Debian distribution running kernel 2.6.7. i've installed all the packages needed by samba and try to ...

  1. unable to print on W98 from linux

    Hi all,
    i' ve a big problem configuring a printer installed
    on Windows 98 and shared on LAN, on my laptop.
    I'm using a Debian distribution running kernel 2.6.7.

    i've installed all the packages needed by samba and try to configure it
    using CUPS.
    All seems to works fine, but when i finish the CUPS configuration
    the follow error occurs :

    "Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds..

    or

    Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...No page header
    or
    page header not DSC-conforming"

    what this means ?

    i thought :"if something have to work as a client, from the other side
    something else have to work like a server, and then, probably i have to
    install a samba server on windows 98"

    the follows the configuration i've tried to connect on windows 98:

    smb://WORKGROUP/10.253.0.100/Segreteria/Sharp SN-1045
    smb://WORKGROUP/Segreteria/Sharp SN-1045
    smb://WORKGROUP/10.253.0.100/Sharp SN-1045
    socket://Segreteria

    many thanks

    Davide

  2. Re: unable to print on W98 from linux

    Davide writes:
    >Hi all,
    >i' ve a big problem configuring a printer installed
    >on Windows 98

    There's your problem right there. Dump that obsolete piece of garbage and install
    some up-to-date garbage.

  3. Re: unable to print on W98 from linux

    Huge wrote:

    > Davide writes:
    >>Hi all,
    >>i' ve a big problem configuring a printer installed
    >>on Windows 98

    > There's your problem right there. Dump that obsolete piece of garbage and
    > install some up-to-date garbage.

    ok, many thanks i will try it
    bye

  4. Re: unable to print on W98 from linux

    Whoa. Who **** in your bed?

    > --
    > "The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
    > [email me at huge [at] huge [dot] org [dot] uk]

  5. Re: unable to print on W98 from linux

    "m.marien" writes:

    >"Huge" wrote in message
    >> Davide writes:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>i' ve a big problem configuring a printer installed
    >>>on Windows 98

    >> There's your problem right there. Dump that obsolete piece of garbage and
    >> install
    >> some up-to-date garbage.
    >>

    >Whoa. Who **** in your bed?

    Bill Gates.

    Next dumb**** question?

  6. Re: unable to print on W98 from linux

    "Huge" wrote in message
    > "m.marien" writes:
    >>
    >>"Huge" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> There's your problem right there. Dump that obsolete piece of garbage
    >>> and
    >>> install
    >>> some up-to-date garbage.
    >>>

    >>Whoa. Who **** in your bed?

    > Bill Gates.
    >
    > Next dumb**** question?

    OK. What was Bill doing in your bed ?

    > --
    > "The road to Paradise is through Intercourse."
    > [email me at huge [at] huge [dot] org [dot] uk]

+ Reply to Thread