Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients - SMB

This is a discussion on Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients - SMB ; Hi there, Fortunately dave, I have the 'exact' same problem you are/were having with your Windows XP / Linux environment - well almost, our printers are mostly Lexmark not HP's! Your description of the "opening" and "initialising" message on the ...

  1. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    Hi there,

    Fortunately dave, I have the 'exact' same problem you are/were having
    with your Windows XP / Linux environment - well almost, our printers
    are mostly Lexmark not HP's! Your description of the "opening" and
    "initialising" message on the print window is also present with our
    problem.

    Have you managed to locate a solution for this yet? Our symptoms seems
    to be intermitant.. some XP machines have the problem, then it will go
    away and some still have it. It's very difficult to replicate. We also
    have Windows 98 machines on some of the LAN's - they do not have any
    problems bringing up printer windows or printing.

    Here's the result of some testing I have done to try and locate the
    problem..

    1. Right click on printer -> takes anywhere between 30 sec to 2-3
    minutes for floating menu to appear, varies between machines.
    2. Add new printer (select the printer from the browse window and click
    next) -> Takes between 38-43 seconds
    3. Opening printer/faxes folder from Start Menu -> takes between 20 sec
    to 1-1.5 minutes
    4. When printer window hangs, system is non-responsive, unable to even
    open task manager
    5. When clicking on the Ports tab in printer preferences -> takes 20-30
    secs to appear

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    D. Fox wrote:
    > Samba 2.2.8a
    > RedHat Linux 8.0 Server
    >
    > We are seeing a 1-2 minute delay in our environment (university labs
    > and classrooms) when we submit a print job from an XP client through
    > the Samba print queue to the printer. Printers vary, most are HP

    4000
    > series printers, and all exhibit the same delay.
    >
    > To add to the confusion - when we submit a print job from a box

    imaged
    > with JUST windows XP and no other software, it prints normally. The
    > print job starts almost immediately. We initially thought the print
    > delay might be a conflict with some of the other software

    applications
    > on our image, so we tested this theory by starting from scratch,
    > adding one application at a time, testing printing, adding another
    > application, testing printing, etc. We completed a fresh XP image,
    > with all applications required, and we were printing
    > fine...temporarily. Within a few minutes, the print delay appeared
    > again when we attempted to print.
    >
    > Other issues noted: when we look at the printer icon in the printer
    > folder on the XP clients, it says "opening..." If we start a print
    > job, it will then say "initializing", and this is where the 1-2

    minute
    > delay begins. During this "initialization" process, Windows is
    > frozen....can't open any applications or do anything until the

    printer
    > says "ready"...then, it prints normally. Prior to Samba, we were
    > using Novell, and we had no print delays. If we configure the XP
    > client to print via IP printing, there are no delays...only when we
    > attach to a Samba print queue, do we see the delay. We're stumped!
    > Sorry for the long post...any suggestions are appreciated!
    >
    > Dave

  2. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    "Andrew" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Fortunately dave, I have the 'exact' same problem you are/were having
    > with your Windows XP / Linux environment - well almost, our printers
    > are mostly Lexmark not HP's! Your description of the "opening" and
    > "initialising" message on the print window is also present with our
    > problem.

    Perhaps, incorrect but the voices in my head tell me this might work. We
    had problems with our xp clients printing directly to a dedicated
    printserver. It turned out that the bidirectional printing in the xp
    printer port settings was selected, we deselected and all went good.

    Hope this helps.

    Mike

  3. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    "Mikegw" wrote in message

    > "Andrew" wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Fortunately dave, I have the 'exact' same problem you are/were having
    >> with your Windows XP / Linux environment - well almost, our printers
    >> are mostly Lexmark not HP's! Your description of the "opening" and
    >> "initialising" message on the print window is also present with our
    >> problem.
    >>

    > Perhaps, incorrect but the voices in my head tell me this might work. We
    > had problems with our xp clients printing directly to a dedicated
    > printserver. It turned out that the bidirectional printing in the xp
    > printer port settings was selected, we deselected and all went good.

    you mean the setting in the BIOS ?

  4. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    > > Perhaps, incorrect but the voices in my head tell me this might work.

    We
    > > had problems with our xp clients printing directly to a dedicated
    > > printserver. It turned out that the bidirectional printing in the xp
    > > printer port settings was selected, we deselected and all went good.

    > you mean the setting in the BIOS ?

    No,

    In xp on the printer setup you can select the port (be it tcp/ip or usb etc)
    one of the check boxes is "enable bidirectional support" or something like
    that. Our problems were solved when we deselected that.

    If you want I can send a screen shot to your email.

    Mike

  5. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    "Mikegw" wrote in message

    >> > Perhaps, incorrect but the voices in my head tell me this might work.

    > We
    >> > had problems with our xp clients printing directly to a dedicated
    >> > printserver. It turned out that the bidirectional printing in the xp
    >> > printer port settings was selected, we deselected and all went good.

    >> you mean the setting in the BIOS ?
    >>

    > No,
    >
    > In xp on the printer setup you can select the port (be it tcp/ip or usb
    > etc)
    > one of the check boxes is "enable bidirectional support" or something like
    > that. Our problems were solved when we deselected that.
    >
    > If you want I can send a screen shot to your email.

    thnx for the offer but found it .. :-) .. good to remember .. seemingly I
    just won (did I ?) the fight over samba + cups (as a printserver) and 2 HP
    laserprinters with jetdirect .. :-) whoever siad that linix printing was
    simple should try this sort of exercise :-)
    I'll remeber this bi-dir setting if I bump into some speed problems .. so
    thnx ..

  6. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    > thnx for the offer but found it .. :-) .. good to remember .. seemingly I
    > just won (did I ?) the fight over samba + cups (as a printserver) and 2 HP
    > laserprinters with jetdirect .. :-) whoever siad that linix printing was
    > simple should try this sort of exercise :-)
    > I'll remeber this bi-dir setting if I bump into some speed problems .. so
    > thnx ..

    I'm glad things worked because my only other advice would have been so
    sacrifice a chicken.

    Mike

  7. Re: slow printing via Samba from XP clients

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:52:58 +1000, "mikegw"
    wrote:

    >> thnx for the offer but found it .. :-) .. good to remember .. seemingly I
    >> just won (did I ?) the fight over samba + cups (as a printserver) and 2 HP
    >> laserprinters with jetdirect .. :-) whoever siad that linix printing was
    >> simple should try this sort of exercise :-)
    >> I'll remeber this bi-dir setting if I bump into some speed problems .. so
    >> thnx ..
    >>

    >I'm glad things worked because my only other advice would have been so
    >sacrifice a chicken.

    LOL .. I came very close to that one ! .. by miracle I found out that
    putting in "writeable = yes" in smb.conf did the trick for one queue
    where the other had no need for it .. go figure (queues with absolute
    identical set up!)

+ Reply to Thread