Oracle, Samba, and Win2k - SMB

This is a discussion on Oracle, Samba, and Win2k - SMB ; Ok. I searched google groups and the web the best I could and did not locate the answer: User mapped a network drive to their Win2k workstation from the samba share that is being shared out by a Solaris server. ...

  1. Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

    Ok. I searched google groups and the web the best I could and did not locate
    the answer:

    User mapped a network drive to their Win2k workstation from the samba share
    that is being shared out by a Solaris server. He called the drive the N:
    drive. He then installed oracle 9i client for Windows on his Win2K
    workstation using the N: drive as the destination which really points to the
    Solaris server.

    Can he reasonably expect to successfully run the oracle 9i client on his
    Win2k workstation having installed it on his N: drive? If so or not so, some
    detail would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Scott

  2. Re: Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

    Bubba Unix Dude wrote:

    > Ok. I searched google groups and the web the best I could and did not locate
    > the answer:
    >
    > User mapped a network drive to their Win2k workstation from the samba share
    > that is being shared out by a Solaris server. He called the drive the N:
    > drive. He then installed oracle 9i client for Windows on his Win2K
    > workstation using the N: drive as the destination which really points to the
    > Solaris server.
    >
    > Can he reasonably expect to successfully run the oracle 9i client on his
    > Win2k workstation having installed it on his N: drive? If so or not so, some
    > detail would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    As long as the drive remains mapped, yes. That's not an unusual
    configuration at all. What may be experienced on occasion are slight
    delays while the programs are loaded across the network, but it's not a
    show stopper. You can also take the registry entries from that machine,
    export them, merge them on other machines mapped the same, add the path
    statements on the other machines, and then use the same install for
    multiple clients.

    Harv

  3. Re: Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:41:46 GMT, Harvey
    wrote:

    >Bubba Unix Dude wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok. I searched google groups and the web the best I could and did not locate
    >> the answer:
    >>
    >> User mapped a network drive to their Win2k workstation from the samba share
    >> that is being shared out by a Solaris server. He called the drive the N:
    >> drive. He then installed oracle 9i client for Windows on his Win2K
    >> workstation using the N: drive as the destination which really points to the
    >> Solaris server.
    >>
    >> Can he reasonably expect to successfully run the oracle 9i client on his
    >> Win2k workstation having installed it on his N: drive? If so or not so, some
    >> detail would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Scott

    >As long as the drive remains mapped, yes. That's not an unusual
    >configuration at all. What may be experienced on occasion are slight
    >delays while the programs are loaded across the network, but it's not a
    >show stopper. You can also take the registry entries from that machine,
    >export them, merge them on other machines mapped the same, add the path
    >statements on the other machines, and then use the same install for
    >multiple clients.
    >
    >Harv

    It is probably unimportant to you Oracle won't support this config.

    --
    Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

  4. Re: Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

    Sybrand Bakker wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:41:46 GMT, Harvey
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Bubba Unix Dude wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Ok. I searched google groups and the web the best I could and did not locate
    > >> the answer:
    > >>
    > >> User mapped a network drive to their Win2k workstation from the samba share
    > >> that is being shared out by a Solaris server. He called the drive the N:
    > >> drive. He then installed oracle 9i client for Windows on his Win2K
    > >> workstation using the N: drive as the destination which really points to the
    > >> Solaris server.
    > >>
    > >> Can he reasonably expect to successfully run the oracle 9i client on his
    > >> Win2k workstation having installed it on his N: drive? If so or not so, some
    > >> detail would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Scott

    > >As long as the drive remains mapped, yes. That's not an unusual
    > >configuration at all. What may be experienced on occasion are slight
    > >delays while the programs are loaded across the network, but it's not a
    > >show stopper. You can also take the registry entries from that machine,
    > >export them, merge them on other machines mapped the same, add the path
    > >statements on the other machines, and then use the same install for
    > >multiple clients.
    > >
    > >Harv

    > It is probably unimportant to you Oracle won't support this config.

    Are you sure? I worked for couple of companies with Oracle client mass-
    installed on network drives (Win95, WinNT, Win2000) and it looked like
    Oracle supported this configuration. Any references?

  5. Re: Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

    afilonov@yahoo.com (Alex Filonov) wrote in message news:<336da121.0409070751.37d31620@posting.google.com>...
    > Sybrand Bakker wrote in message news:...
    > > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:41:46 GMT, Harvey
    > > wrote:

    > > >As long as the drive remains mapped, yes. That's not an unusual
    > > >configuration at all. What may be experienced on occasion are slight
    > > >delays while the programs are loaded across the network, but it's not a
    > > >show stopper. You can also take the registry entries from that machine,
    > > >export them, merge them on other machines mapped the same, add the path
    > > >statements on the other machines, and then use the same install for
    > > >multiple clients.
    > > >
    > > >Harv

    > > It is probably unimportant to you Oracle won't support this config.

    > Are you sure? I worked for couple of companies with Oracle client mass-
    > installed on network drives (Win95, WinNT, Win2000) and it looked like
    > Oracle supported this configuration. Any references?

    A quick search on metalink shows some support, and some things not
    supported (ie Repository Object Navigator).

    The companies where I have seen it have a divergent view of "Supported
    by Oracle the Product" and "Oracle Support." And more generally,
    often a really bad idea of what and how to test.

    jg
    --
    @home.com is bogus.
    What're you lookin' at?