Moving Samba PDC. - SMB

This is a discussion on Moving Samba PDC. - SMB ; Hello everyone. I currently have a Samba PDC (TEMPORARY) configured and itīs working, but I have to transfer the configuration to another (NEWSERVER) Linux Server, with more processor, ram and HDD. I copied the smb.conf from the TEMPORARY server to ...

  1. Moving Samba PDC.

    Hello everyone.

    I currently have a Samba PDC (TEMPORARY) configured and itīs working, but I
    have to transfer the configuration to another (NEWSERVER) Linux Server, with
    more processor, ram and HDD.

    I copied the smb.conf from the TEMPORARY server to my NEWSERVER server, also
    i created on NEWSERVER the machine accounts that were created on the
    TEMPORARY server, and after that i stopped the smb service on TEMPORARY and
    started the smb service on NEWSERVER.

    The problem is that I have Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    workstations, and when i tried with the first workstation (Windows 2000) to
    login, Windows says that the PDC for the domain is down.

    Now the question is:

    What else should I have to do in order to the Windows 2000 Professional
    workstation recognizes the new PDC Server, without changing the Windows 2000
    to Workgroup and again to Domain. (I donīt want to do it this way because
    Windows 2000 creates a new profile for the "new" domain, and i lose all the
    settings, data and stuff. Well, not lose, misplaced)

    Is this possible?

    BTW, Iīm using Fedora Core 1, with samba 3.0.0-15 on TEMPORARY, and Fedora
    Core 1 with samba 3.0.4-1.FC1 on NEWSERVER

    My smb.conf is this:

    [global]
    netbios name = TEMPORARY
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon drive = H:
    logon home = "\\TEMPORARY\home\%u"
    logon path =
    logon script = %u.bat
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

    [homes]
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

    [printers]
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    printable = yes

    [netlogon]
    path = /netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes

    Thanks in advance.

    Balbino

    PD: Newbie here... please be kind.

  2. Re: Moving Samba PDC.

    Balbino Brito wrote:

    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I currently have a Samba PDC (TEMPORARY) configured and itīs working, but
    > I have to transfer the configuration to another (NEWSERVER) Linux Server,
    > with more processor, ram and HDD.
    >
    > I copied the smb.conf from the TEMPORARY server to my NEWSERVER server,
    > also i created on NEWSERVER the machine accounts that were created on the
    > TEMPORARY server, and after that i stopped the smb service on TEMPORARY
    > and started the smb service on NEWSERVER.
    >
    > The problem is that I have Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    > workstations, and when i tried with the first workstation (Windows 2000)
    > to login, Windows says that the PDC for the domain is down.
    >
    > Now the question is:
    >
    > What else should I have to do in order to the Windows 2000 Professional
    > workstation recognizes the new PDC Server, without changing the Windows
    > 2000 to Workgroup and again to Domain. (I donīt want to do it this way
    > because Windows 2000 creates a new profile for the "new" domain, and i
    > lose all the settings, data and stuff. Well, not lose, misplaced)

    You have to copy at least the "secrets.tdb" file which contains the domain
    sid upon which windowsnt/2k/xp rely. In addition, copy over your smbpasswd
    file or the passdb.tdb.
    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*your*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

  3. Re: Moving Samba PDC.

    Hello Walter

    I will try that on Friday and let you know how it worked.

    Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer

    Balbino

    "Walter Mautner" escribió en el
    mensaje news:hted02-2jp.ln1@ID-104681.user.uni-berlin.de...
    > Balbino Brito wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone.
    > >
    > > I currently have a Samba PDC (TEMPORARY) configured and itīs working,

    but
    > > I have to transfer the configuration to another (NEWSERVER) Linux

    Server,
    > > with more processor, ram and HDD.
    > >
    > > I copied the smb.conf from the TEMPORARY server to my NEWSERVER server,
    > > also i created on NEWSERVER the machine accounts that were created on

    the
    > > TEMPORARY server, and after that i stopped the smb service on TEMPORARY
    > > and started the smb service on NEWSERVER.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I have Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    > > workstations, and when i tried with the first workstation (Windows 2000)
    > > to login, Windows says that the PDC for the domain is down.
    > >
    > > Now the question is:
    > >
    > > What else should I have to do in order to the Windows 2000 Professional
    > > workstation recognizes the new PDC Server, without changing the Windows
    > > 2000 to Workgroup and again to Domain. (I donīt want to do it this way
    > > because Windows 2000 creates a new profile for the "new" domain, and i
    > > lose all the settings, data and stuff. Well, not lose, misplaced)
    > >

    > You have to copy at least the "secrets.tdb" file which contains the domain
    > sid upon which windowsnt/2k/xp rely. In addition, copy over your smbpasswd
    > file or the passdb.tdb.
    > --
    > Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    > detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    > to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software.
    > Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

  4. Re: Moving Samba PDC.

    Hello Walter

    Sorry for the delay on the answer, but YES!!!. It worked...

    I also had to change the unix user number in order to sync it right.

    Thanks a lot for your help

    Balbino

    "Walter Mautner" escribió en el
    mensaje news:hted02-2jp.ln1@ID-104681.user.uni-berlin.de...
    > Balbino Brito wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone.
    > >
    > > I currently have a Samba PDC (TEMPORARY) configured and itīs working,

    but
    > > I have to transfer the configuration to another (NEWSERVER) Linux

    Server,
    > > with more processor, ram and HDD.
    > >
    > > I copied the smb.conf from the TEMPORARY server to my NEWSERVER server,
    > > also i created on NEWSERVER the machine accounts that were created on

    the
    > > TEMPORARY server, and after that i stopped the smb service on TEMPORARY
    > > and started the smb service on NEWSERVER.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I have Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    > > workstations, and when i tried with the first workstation (Windows 2000)
    > > to login, Windows says that the PDC for the domain is down.
    > >
    > > Now the question is:
    > >
    > > What else should I have to do in order to the Windows 2000 Professional
    > > workstation recognizes the new PDC Server, without changing the Windows
    > > 2000 to Workgroup and again to Domain. (I donīt want to do it this way
    > > because Windows 2000 creates a new profile for the "new" domain, and i
    > > lose all the settings, data and stuff. Well, not lose, misplaced)
    > >

    > You have to copy at least the "secrets.tdb" file which contains the domain
    > sid upon which windowsnt/2k/xp rely. In addition, copy over your smbpasswd
    > file or the passdb.tdb.
    > --
    > Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    > detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    > to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software.
    > Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

  5. Re: Moving Samba PDC.

    Balbino Brito wrote:

    > Hello Walter
    >
    > Sorry for the delay on the answer, but YES!!!. It worked...
    >
    > I also had to change the unix user number in order to sync it right.

    Ah yes, because samba uses the uids from /etc/passwd, if not another
    authorization schema (ldap ...) does provide them. So smbpasswd or
    passdb.tdb rely on correct matches

    It's a lot easier to move a samba server then a windows pdc.
    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*your*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread