Two netbios names, one smbd - SMB

This is a discussion on Two netbios names, one smbd - SMB ; Hi Need to setup netbios alias on a server. When users connect to sunone they reach home and some other shares. suntwo is a archive share. I can't authenticate against the pdc. Ask for user/passwd on each netbios alias. If ...

  1. Two netbios names, one smbd

    Hi

    Need to setup netbios alias on a server. When users connect to sunone they
    reach home and some other shares. suntwo is a archive share.
    I can't authenticate against the pdc. Ask for user/passwd on each netbios
    alias. If i switch to shared on security and guest ok this setup works.
    If i add sunone or suntwo to netbios name on smb.conf itself and run
    smbpasswd -j test i can connect to one but not both. Running smbpasswd on
    each alias overwrites the config about the other.

    Is it possible to get this type of setup to work. My second choice would be
    to run a seperate smbd daemon with its own config. I want to get the first
    choice to work.

    Test Case:

    Sunone
    /export/free/tmp

    Suntwo
    /export/free/tmp2

    Config:
    [global]
    workgroup = TEST
    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = win2k-pdc
    log level = 3
    preferred master = No
    local master = No
    domain master = No
    wins proxy = Yes
    wins server = 172.16.208.16
    remote announce = 172.18.3.211
    netbios aliases = sunone suntwo
    include = /opt/samba/lib/smb.%L

    smb.sunone

    netbios name = sunone
    [tmp]
    comment = tmp
    path = /export/free/tmp
    read only = No

    smb.suntwo

    [tmp2]
    comment = tmp2
    path = /export/free/tmp2
    read only = No

    Thanks

    Tommy Fallsen

  2. Re: Two netbios names, one smbd

    >Running smbpasswd on
    > each alias overwrites the config about the other.

    alias is ALIAS - different name of same server NOT an another server. (i
    mean single point of auth. with many entrances (like symlink))

    while config syntax have no conditional statements you PROBABLY can play
    with '%' macros and 'include' statement - describe different shares list
    based of machine name

  3. Re: Two netbios names, one smbd

    > >Running smbpasswd on
    > > each alias overwrites the config about the other.
    > >

    > alias is ALIAS - different name of same server NOT an another server. (i
    > mean single point of auth. with many entrances (like symlink))
    >
    > while config syntax have no conditional statements you PROBABLY can play
    > with '%' macros and 'include' statement - describe different shares list
    > based of machine name

    Got it working.
    Add:
    security = server
    password server = 127.0.0.1
    encrypt passwords = yes
    to the sepetate alias config files. Also i removed dns entrys for the alias
    i added. The alias is only
    suppose to be resolved using NETBIOS. The real server DNS/NETBIOS.

    Tommy

+ Reply to Thread