2GB file limit problems. - SMB

This is a discussion on 2GB file limit problems. - SMB ; Hi: I have a problem creating files greater than 2GB on a Samba (WindowsXP, NTFS) share. Sorry to bring this up for what may be the millionth time, But I have searched for hours, and as is usually the case ...

  1. 2GB file limit problems.

    Hi:

    I have a problem creating files greater than 2GB on a Samba (WindowsXP,
    NTFS) share. Sorry to bring this up for what may be the millionth time,
    But I have searched for hours, and as is usually the case with stuff
    like this, there are 50 different answers.

    I have a system running Mandrake 9.1 (kernel 2.4.21, Samba 2.2.7a, glibc
    2.3.1). I have mounted the windows share with the -o lfs option.

    Basically, I would like to be able to capture video to a WindowsXP
    network share. I can capture files > 2GB on a local extfs2 drive
    without problem (e.g., cat /dev/video >> /test). The same command
    capturing to my Windows machine craps out at exactly 2GB. I routinely
    capture files > 2GB local on the Windows machine (i.e., not over the
    network). It simply must be a Samba limitation.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: 2GB file limit problems.

    pawn wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a problem creating files greater than 2GB on a Samba (WindowsXP,
    > NTFS) share. Sorry to bring this up for what may be the millionth time,
    > But I have searched for hours, and as is usually the case with stuff
    > like this, there are 50 different answers.
    >
    > I have a system running Mandrake 9.1 (kernel 2.4.21, Samba 2.2.7a, glibc
    > 2.3.1). I have mounted the windows share with the -o lfs option.
    >
    > Basically, I would like to be able to capture video to a WindowsXP
    > network share. I can capture files > 2GB on a local extfs2 drive
    > without problem (e.g., cat /dev/video >> /test). The same command
    > capturing to my Windows machine craps out at exactly 2GB. I routinely
    > capture files > 2GB local on the Windows machine (i.e., not over the
    > network). It simply must be a Samba limitation.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I had a similar problem a couple of releases ago. Make sure you're
    current.

  3. Re: 2GB file limit problems.

    CJT wrote:
    > pawn wrote:
    >
    > I had a similar problem a couple of releases ago. Make sure you're
    > current.

    Samba? Kernel? Glibc? All of them?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: 2GB file limit problems.

    pawn wrote:

    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >> pawn wrote:
    >>
    >> I had a similar problem a couple of releases ago. Make sure you're
    >> current.

    > Samba? Kernel? Glibc? All of them?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Samba is what I had in mind.