Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup - SMB ; This is a strange issue. I've seen it happen a couple of times on two diffrent networks I've setup that are not physically connected. One was using a default installation with Slackware 9.1 and the other with a Slackware 10.0 ...

  1. Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup

    This is a strange issue. I've seen it happen a couple of times on two
    diffrent networks I've setup that are not physically connected. One
    was using a default installation with Slackware 9.1 and the other with
    a Slackware 10.0 Installation.

    I am using samba 3.0.5 and every once in a while the computers Inside
    "My Network Places" -> "Microsoft Windows Network" -> "Workgroup"
    dissappear. All of them except for the actual server that has samba
    installed. A quick and dirty fix for me was to restart samba via
    "/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart". After a while all the computers came
    back up. This is however annoying to do on the later network since I
    am not always present. I am not sure what is causing this. I tried a
    google search and I have not come up with anything except I now
    suspect it's an issue with master local and default local options.
    The Samba server, however, has none of those options turned on. This
    problem does not occur frequently. So I am unable to reproduce it.
    The setup is small. I have about 3 Windows XP Pro machines and a
    Samba Server. I downloaded a tool called browstat.exe and upon
    executing browstat status I get the following:

    C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat.exe status

    Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1FD901E6-AC2C-4C8B
    -972C-477781914BE2}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: LINDAPC
    Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine
    build of br
    owser master: 5
    \\\\LINDAPC . Version:05.01 Flags: 51203 NT POTENTIAL
    MASTER
    2 backup servers retrieved from master LINDAPC
    \\ADANPC
    \\LINDAPC
    There are 4 servers in domain WORKGROUP on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1F
    D901E6-AC2C-4C8B-972C-477781914BE2}
    There are 1 domains in domain WORKGROUP on transport
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1F
    D901E6-AC2C-4C8B-972C-477781914BE2}

    I am not sure if this is even related to my problem, but I thought I
    would give as much detail as I can.

    This is my smb.conf :

    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Workgroup Samba Server
    security = user
    map to guest = Bad user
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    load printers = no
    guest account = nobody
    log file = /var/log/samba.%m
    max log size = 50
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    interfaces = 192.168.0.2/24

    ==============================
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    [Media]
    comment = Various Media Files
    path = /shared/Media
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no

    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    force group = users

    I do not claim to be an expert on this field, so I am sure there is
    room for improvment, but I am looking at resolving my issuse with the
    disappearing computers. Any help or information is appreciated.
    Also, should I be looking at making the samba machine the local and
    preffered master? It's the one machine is always on.

    Thanks in Advance to All,

    Adan Calderón

  2. Re: Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup

    "Adan Calderon" wrote in message
    news:c2f196e0.0408131115.739ef64@posting.google.co m...
> [...]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = no
    > writable = yes
    > [Media]
    > comment = Various Media Files
    > path = /shared/Media
    > guest ok = yes
    > writable = yes
    > printable = no
    >
    > create mask = 0777
    > directory mask = 0777
    > force group = users
    >
    > ************************************************** ******************************
    >
    > I do not claim to be an expert on this field, so I am sure there is
    > room for improvment, but I am looking at resolving my issuse with the
    > disappearing computers. Any help or information is appreciated.
    > Also, should I be looking at making the samba machine the local and
    > preffered master? It's the one machine is always on.

    Just a couple of guesses here. It could be that when another computer is
    started, the local master role changes so the other computers will take a
    moment to refresh their browse lists. If the Samba system is running all the
    time, make the Samba system the prefered master and up the os level so that
    it wins the elections.

    Your guest account may also present a problem. I think the systems use the
    guest account to discover the network neighborhood. Authentication
    (user/password) takes place when you click on a share. If the guest account
    is mapped to a non existant user the computers may not be able to compile a
    list when the Samba server is the local master.

  3. Re: Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup

    "m.marien" wrote:

> [...]
    >> Also, should I be looking at making the samba machine the local and
    >> preffered master? It's the one machine is always on.
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance to All,
    >>
    >> Adan Calderón

    >Just a couple of guesses here. It could be that when another computer is
    >started, the local master role changes so the other computers will take a
    >moment to refresh their browse lists. If the Samba system is running all the
    >time, make the Samba system the prefered master and up the os level so that
    >it wins the elections.
    >
    >Your guest account may also present a problem. I think the systems use the
    >guest account to discover the network neighborhood. Authentication
    >(user/password) takes place when you click on a share. If the guest account
    >is mapped to a non existant user the computers may not be able to compile a
    >list when the Samba server is the local master.

    post your smb.conf

    keith

  4. Re: Samba 3.0.5 and disappearing computers for Workgroup

    "Adan Calderon" wrote in message
    news:c2f196e0.0408131115.739ef64@posting.google.co m...
    > This is a strange issue. I've seen it happen a couple of times on two
    > diffrent networks I've setup that are not physically connected. One
    > was using a default installation with Slackware 9.1 and the other with
    > a Slackware 10.0 Installation.
    >
    > I am using samba 3.0.5 and every once in a while the computers Inside
    > "My Network Places" -> "Microsoft Windows Network" -> "Workgroup"
    > dissappear. All of them except for the actual server that has samba
    > installed. A quick and dirty fix for me was to restart samba via
    > "/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart". After a while all the computers came
    > back up. This is however annoying to do on the later network since I
    > am not always present. I am not sure what is causing this. I tried a
    > google search and I have not come up with anything except I now
    > suspect it's an issue with master local and default local options.
    > The Samba server, however, has none of those options turned on. This
    > problem does not occur frequently. So I am unable to reproduce it.
    > The setup is small. I have about 3 Windows XP Pro machines and a
    > Samba Server. I downloaded a tool called browstat.exe and upon
    > executing browstat status I get the following:

    Sounds like master browser elections where sometimes a machine other than
    your local Primary Domain Controller or your Samba machine is winning the
    election, causing confusion. Restarting the Samba server forces a new
    election, which your Samba server appropriately wins.

    Look up the key words "master browser elections" and the "os level" setting
    of your Samba configuration.

+ Reply to Thread