Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side - SMB

This is a discussion on Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side - SMB ; I have a linux server - named sun in workgroup SOLAR. sun is connnected to a router (Wireless Linksys gateway set as a router - trying to reuse equipment, a real hub is probably better). Connected to this router is ...

  1. Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side

    I have a linux server - named sun in workgroup SOLAR.

    sun is connnected to a router (Wireless Linksys gateway set as a router
    - trying to reuse equipment, a real hub is probably better). Connected
    to this router is mecury and venus.

    Another port in the router is connected to a wired Linksys router uplink
    port. Then jupiter and saturn is connected to this router.

    In windows on mecury, in view workgroup, I see Sun, Mecury, and Venus.
    But not Jupiter and Saturn.

    In windows on Jupiter, in view workgroup, I see nothing not even jupiter
    even though it has shared folders. I move jupiter to Wireless router
    (directly connected to sun), and then Jupiter shows up in the work group.

    I move it back to the other router, it goes away.

    I ping jupiter and saturn from mecury. AND I can even map their shared
    folders by typing in \\jupiter\C. I can even print to it. So the
    network pathing is there.

    If I do a nblookup on Sun, it shows all the computers. If I look in
    browser.dat, all of the computers are listed.

    So why do the ones connect to the wired router via the uplink port not
    show up but I can talk to them?

    Thanks for the help.

    Kyle

  2. Re: Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side

    "Anybody" wrote in message
    news:s0tRc.37836$DZ.4927121@twister.tampabay.rr.co m...
    > I have a linux server - named sun in workgroup SOLAR.
    >
    > sun is connnected to a router (Wireless Linksys gateway set as a router
    > - trying to reuse equipment, a real hub is probably better). Connected
    > to this router is mecury and venus.
    >
    > Another port in the router is connected to a wired Linksys router uplink
    > port. Then jupiter and saturn is connected to this router.
    >
    > In windows on mecury, in view workgroup, I see Sun, Mecury, and Venus.
    > But not Jupiter and Saturn.
    >
    > In windows on Jupiter, in view workgroup, I see nothing not even jupiter
    > even though it has shared folders. I move jupiter to Wireless router
    > (directly connected to sun), and then Jupiter shows up in the work group.
    >
    > I move it back to the other router, it goes away.
    >
    > I ping jupiter and saturn from mecury. AND I can even map their shared
    > folders by typing in \\jupiter\C. I can even print to it. So the
    > network pathing is there.
    >
    > If I do a nblookup on Sun, it shows all the computers. If I look in
    > browser.dat, all of the computers are listed.
    >
    > So why do the ones connect to the wired router via the uplink port not
    > show up but I can talk to them?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Kyle

    Are all the computers IP addresses in the same subnet? If not, turn on the
    WINS server in Samba and point your computers to it in the TCP/IP settings.
    Otherwise it's possible that the router is blocking some broadcast messages.

  3. Re: Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side

    It appears to partially work. It shows up but it my be based on who
    is logged on the machine that is exporting the folders.

    All computers are on the same subnet 192.168.1.xxx Actually the Sun
    computer is a DHCP server for 192.168.1.xxx net.

    I kind of thought the router might be blocking it also but if the Samba
    server has all the machines in the browser.dat then when a machine does
    a query, the sun machine should supply all computers and not just a
    subset. When I did some snooping on the ethernet, it appears to do just
    that. It doesn't send all.

    But as I said above, it appears to kind of work. Like today, I have all
    computers showing, but users are logged in.

    Kyle
    m.marien wrote:
    > "Anybody" wrote in message
    > news:s0tRc.37836$DZ.4927121@twister.tampabay.rr.co m...
    >
    >>I have a linux server - named sun in workgroup SOLAR.
    >>
    >>sun is connnected to a router (Wireless Linksys gateway set as a router
    >>- trying to reuse equipment, a real hub is probably better). Connected
    >>to this router is mecury and venus.
    >>
    >>Another port in the router is connected to a wired Linksys router uplink
    >>port. Then jupiter and saturn is connected to this router.
    >>
    >>In windows on mecury, in view workgroup, I see Sun, Mecury, and Venus.
    >>But not Jupiter and Saturn.
    >>
    >>In windows on Jupiter, in view workgroup, I see nothing not even jupiter
    >>even though it has shared folders. I move jupiter to Wireless router
    >>(directly connected to sun), and then Jupiter shows up in the work group.
    >>
    >>I move it back to the other router, it goes away.
    >>
    >>I ping jupiter and saturn from mecury. AND I can even map their shared
    >>folders by typing in \\jupiter\C. I can even print to it. So the
    >>network pathing is there.
    >>
    >>If I do a nblookup on Sun, it shows all the computers. If I look in
    >>browser.dat, all of the computers are listed.
    >>
    >>So why do the ones connect to the wired router via the uplink port not
    >>show up but I can talk to them?
    >>
    >>Thanks for the help.
    >>
    >>Kyle

    > Are all the computers IP addresses in the same subnet? If not, turn on the
    > WINS server in Samba and point your computers to it in the TCP/IP settings.
    > Otherwise it's possible that the router is blocking some broadcast messages.

  4. Re: Router Uplink - Browser does not show computers on other side

    Anybody wrote:

    > I have a linux server - named sun in workgroup SOLAR.
    >
    > sun is connnected to a router (Wireless Linksys gateway set as a router
    > - trying to reuse equipment, a real hub is probably better). Connected
    > to this router is mecury and venus.
    >
    > Another port in the router is connected to a wired Linksys router uplink
    > port. Then jupiter and saturn is connected to this router.
    >
    > In windows on mecury, in view workgroup, I see Sun, Mecury, and Venus.
    > But not Jupiter and Saturn.
    >
    > In windows on Jupiter, in view workgroup, I see nothing not even jupiter
    > even though it has shared folders. I move jupiter to Wireless router
    > (directly connected to sun), and then Jupiter shows up in the work group.
    >
    > I move it back to the other router, it goes away.
    >
    > I ping jupiter and saturn from mecury. AND I can even map their shared
    > folders by typing in \\jupiter\C. I can even print to it. So the
    > network pathing is there.
    >
    > If I do a nblookup on Sun, it shows all the computers. If I look in
    > browser.dat, all of the computers are listed.
    >
    > So why do the ones connect to the wired router via the uplink port not
    > show up but I can talk to them?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Kyle

    Sink 20 bucks in a switch and be done with it. Or is your time worth
    nothing?