Samba and WinXP Home - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba and WinXP Home - SMB ; I have a network hosted on a PC running WinXP Home. The various computers are interfaced via a combo wired-wireless router. The host computer operates primarily as a file host and a print server. There is no problem accessing the ...

  1. Samba and WinXP Home

    I have a network hosted on a PC running WinXP Home. The various
    computers are interfaced via a combo wired-wireless router. The host
    computer operates primarily as a file host and a print server.

    There is no problem accessing the files and printer from two laptops
    equipped with wireless cards (one running WinXP Home and one WiXP Pro).

    The fourth computer now in the system, connected to the router via wired
    LAN, is a laptop running linix (SuSE 9.1), only -- not dual-boot. I've
    got this computer accessing the Internet and email just fine. But so
    far I've had no luck getting it to see the host for the files and printer.

    Can this be done with WinXP home or is it necessary to upgrade to WinXP
    Pro? Some things I've read this evening suggest that this is the case.

    Phil

  2. Re: Samba and WinXP Home

    "Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
    > I have a network hosted on a PC running WinXP Home. The various
    > computers are interfaced via a combo wired-wireless router. The host
    > computer operates primarily as a file host and a print server.
    >
    > There is no problem accessing the files and printer from two laptops
    > equipped with wireless cards (one running WinXP Home and one WiXP Pro).
    >
    > The fourth computer now in the system, connected to the router via wired
    > LAN, is a laptop running linix (SuSE 9.1), only -- not dual-boot. I've
    > got this computer accessing the Internet and email just fine. But so
    > far I've had no luck getting it to see the host for the files and printer.
    >
    > Can this be done with WinXP home or is it necessary to upgrade to WinXP
    > Pro? Some things I've read this evening suggest that this is the case.
    >
    > Phil

    WinXP Home can participate in a workgroup, but can't join a domain, etc. I
    just checked on my test SuSE 9.0 and I can see the files and directories on
    my WinXP Home system so it does work. I've always used my Linux box as a
    server and Windows as workstations so I'm not sure what is required on Linux
    to browse the network, but I would check first to see if Samba was running
    on the SuSE system.

  3. Re: Samba and WinXP Home

    m.marien wrote:
    > "Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a network hosted on a PC running WinXP Home. The various
    >>computers are interfaced via a combo wired-wireless router. The host
    >>computer operates primarily as a file host and a print server.
    >>
    >>There is no problem accessing the files and printer from two laptops
    >>equipped with wireless cards (one running WinXP Home and one WiXP Pro).
    >>
    >>The fourth computer now in the system, connected to the router via wired
    >>LAN, is a laptop running linix (SuSE 9.1), only -- not dual-boot. I've
    >>got this computer accessing the Internet and email just fine. But so
    >>far I've had no luck getting it to see the host for the files and printer.
    >>
    >>Can this be done with WinXP home or is it necessary to upgrade to WinXP
    >>Pro? Some things I've read this evening suggest that this is the case.
    >>
    >>Phil
    >>

    > WinXP Home can participate in a workgroup, but can't join a domain, etc. I
    > just checked on my test SuSE 9.0 and I can see the files and directories on
    > my WinXP Home system so it does work. I've always used my Linux box as a
    > server and Windows as workstations so I'm not sure what is required on Linux
    > to browse the network, but I would check first to see if Samba was running
    > on the SuSE system.

    Thanks! I will continue to toil on with WinXP Home for a while longer.

    Samba is definitely running. In fact I can see the Samba Server from
    the PCs, but cannot access anything there yet. But that is not what I
    really want to do. The linux machine is of limited capability (6 GB HDD
    for example) while the WinXP Home PC with the printer has 200 GB -- so
    I want it to be the server and to be able to access it for archiving and
    printing from everywhere else. So far that is working on all but the
    linux laptop. The crucial thing is to have the printer work -- since I
    have none to attach to the linux machine locally.

    Eventually as I learn linux and transition more of my system to it,
    things will change. But so far networking is sure harder than with
    WinXP. Likely if I was running all linux machines it would be easier.

    Phil

+ Reply to Thread