Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN - SMB

This is a discussion on Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN - SMB ; Hello, We are trying to pinpoint a problem with users in XP Pro, that are browsing files & folders over a 256k WAN link to our Win 2000 file server in Windows Explorer. Simply going into one folder to the ...

  1. Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN

    Hello,

    We are trying to pinpoint a problem with users in XP Pro, that are
    browsing files & folders over a 256k WAN link to our Win 2000 file
    server in Windows Explorer. Simply going into one folder to the next
    can take 30 seconds to a minute. The XP Pro workstations are new (2.6
    P4, 256 MB RAM, 10/100 NIC, etc).

    The problem is more noticeable when browsing folders that have a large
    number of JPG & GIF image files (1200+). From our testing, this
    problem only appears to happen on Win XP Pro workstations, Win 2000
    and NT 4 seem fine so far going over this same WAN link. We have
    already done preliminary steps like updating drivers, Windows update,
    modifying TCP Rx size, on the XP workstation, and tested our WAN link
    for errors...all is fine.

    If anybody can shed any light on this one, that would be great. Thank
    you very much for all feedback and suggestions!

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN

    "Chris Szilagyi" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:2aab79d7.0408060647.30f9dd07@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are trying to pinpoint a problem with users in XP Pro, that are
    > browsing files & folders over a 256k WAN link to our Win 2000 file
    > server in Windows Explorer. Simply going into one folder to the next
    > can take 30 seconds to a minute. The XP Pro workstations are new (2.6
    > P4, 256 MB RAM, 10/100 NIC, etc).
    >
    > The problem is more noticeable when browsing folders that have a large
    > number of JPG & GIF image files (1200+). From our testing, this
    > problem only appears to happen on Win XP Pro workstations, Win 2000
    > and NT 4 seem fine so far going over this same WAN link. We have
    > already done preliminary steps like updating drivers, Windows update,
    > modifying TCP Rx size, on the XP workstation, and tested our WAN link
    > for errors...all is fine.
    >
    > If anybody can shed any light on this one, that would be great. Thank
    > you very much for all feedback and suggestions!
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    Files on network shares open slowly
    http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_814112.aspx

  3. Re: Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    Brian came up with this:

    > http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_814112.aspx

    The page cannot be displayed

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

  4. Re: Win XP, slow Explorer performance over WAN

    I've had the exact same problem when we upgraded from Win2K
    to Win XP on a Windows 2000 server.

    XP automatically goes into either a Picture Tasks mode or a
    normal thumbnail. In my classroom we are running on 100mps
    wired switched lan with the workgroup server in the
    classroom. It is still exceeding slow -- most students
    either ask if they can look at stuff on the server and write
    down the file name or they copy all the photos, turn on
    thumbnails and then delete the ones they don't need. (Our
    workstations are only Dell Precisions 410s with 450
    processors and 256 megs ram).

    Try turning Explorer to view details only! This is a hack to
    turn off XP automatically going to Picture Tasks or
    thumbnails somewhere. It's in the Oreilly Windows Annoyances
    book but I can't find my copy right now (might be at work).

    (As an aside after 3 weeks setting up a red hat server with
    samba as a PDC at home, I am more comfortable than after 3
    years of working with a Windows Servers--I got disgusted
    after loading Win2003 which was supposed to make everything
    easier and finding it made them harder)

+ Reply to Thread