Samba 3.0.5-2 WinXP Pro, shares work but ACCESS DENIED - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3.0.5-2 WinXP Pro, shares work but ACCESS DENIED - SMB ; I have seen a few posts of people caught by this bug. Please write to me if anyone knows how to fix: Problem: Samba won't grant access to my /shared share. I created it, gave the linux user permissions and ...

  1. Samba 3.0.5-2 WinXP Pro, shares work but ACCESS DENIED

    I have seen a few posts of people caught by this bug. Please write to
    me if anyone knows how to fix:

    Problem:

    Samba won't grant access to my /shared share.
    I created it, gave the linux user permissions
    and tested them, my Windows XP Pro sees the share, I
    can map a drive to it, but I cannot change to it:
    Access denied is the error I get. I'm logged into
    Windows XP as the same user ID and password as on the
    Linux system.

    I had a problem when accessing the share at first with
    Windows prompting me for a userID and password, but I
    did the smbpasswd command, and got that working. Then
    I could see the shares.

    I can see the shares, I can map, for example, the J:
    drive to "shared", but cannot switch to it by typing:
    "J: enter".

    Testparm has no errors. Here are the results:

    [root@brain /]# testparm
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[shared]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = Testgroup
    server string = Samba Server
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 500
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
    SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    ldap ssl = no
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    hosts allow = 10.200.1.

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [shared]
    path = /shared
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    [root@brain /]#

    I'm using samba 3.0.5-2 on Fedora Core 2, and Windows
    XP Pro sp1, all TCP/IP.

    Thanks for any assistance.

  2. Re: Samba 3.0.5-2 WinXP Pro, shares work but ACCESS DENIED

    "chad" wrote in message
    news:d12de03a.0408021653.2d776b60@posting.google.c om...
    > I have seen a few posts of people caught by this bug. Please write to
    > me if anyone knows how to fix:
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > Samba won't grant access to my /shared share.
    > I created it, gave the linux user permissions
    > and tested them, my Windows XP Pro sees the share, I
    > can map a drive to it, but I cannot change to it:
    > Access denied is the error I get. I'm logged into
    > Windows XP as the same user ID and password as on the
    > Linux system.
    >
    > I had a problem when accessing the share at first with
    > Windows prompting me for a userID and password, but I
    > did the smbpasswd command, and got that working. Then
    > I could see the shares.
    >
    > I can see the shares, I can map, for example, the J:
    > drive to "shared", but cannot switch to it by typing:
    > "J: enter".
    >
    > Testparm has no errors. Here are the results:
    >
    > [root@brain /]# testparm
    > Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > Processing section "[homes]"
    > Processing section "[printers]"
    > Processing section "[shared]"
    > Loaded services file OK.
    > Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    > Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
    >
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = Testgroup
    > server string = Samba Server
    > log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    > max log size = 500
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
    > SO_SNDBUF=8192
    > dns proxy = No
    > ldap ssl = no
    > idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    > idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    > hosts allow = 10.200.1.
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > read only = No
    > browseable = No
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > printable = Yes
    > browseable = No
    >
    > [shared]
    > path = /shared
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes
    > [root@brain /]#
    >
    > I'm using samba 3.0.5-2 on Fedora Core 2, and Windows
    > XP Pro sp1, all TCP/IP.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    May be check that the permissions on the /share directory allow access by
    other.

+ Reply to Thread