Samba configuration - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba configuration - SMB ; Here's what I got going on. I have the latest and greatest version of Samba on Solaris 9. My smb.conf::: [global] workgroup = engineering netbios name = clearcasems security = share [data] comment = data path = /export read only ...

  1. Samba configuration

    Here's what I got going on.

    I have the latest and greatest version of Samba on Solaris 9.
    My smb.conf:::
    [global]
    workgroup = engineering
    netbios name = clearcasems
    security = share
    [data]
    comment = data
    path = /export
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes
    Microsoft XP
    Not a member of a domain
    But member of workgroup: Engineering
    No winns server

    When I do through the network neighborhood I see "Mygroup" and "engineering"
    The samba server "clearcasems" is under the "Mygroup" workgroup even though
    the smb.conf files states otherwise.
    When I browse the clearcasems computer is can only see my home directory.

    Can someone please tell me why my workgroup is different then what I put in
    the global and why I can only see my home directory?

    Any help would be great.

    P.S permissions ahve been set so everyone can read the directory and my
    windows user is the same as the unix.

  2. Re: Samba configuration

    "usenet" wrote in message news:410e9e75$1_2@Usenet.com...
    > Here's what I got going on.
    >
    > I have the latest and greatest version of Samba on Solaris 9.
    > My smb.conf:::
    > [global]
    > workgroup = engineering
    > netbios name = clearcasems
    > security = share
    > [data]
    > comment = data
    > path = /export
    > read only = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    > Microsoft XP
    > Not a member of a domain
    > But member of workgroup: Engineering
    > No winns server
    >
    > When I do through the network neighborhood I see "Mygroup" and

    "engineering"
    > The samba server "clearcasems" is under the "Mygroup" workgroup even

    though
    > the smb.conf files states otherwise.
    > When I browse the clearcasems computer is can only see my home directory.

    > Can someone please tell me why my workgroup is different then what I put

    in
    > the global and why I can only see my home directory?
    >
    > Any help would be great.
    >

    > P.S permissions ahve been set so everyone can read the directory and my
    > windows user is the same as the unix.

    Looks like the Samba server is using a different smb.conf file. Check it
    with testparm to see what it thinks is the configuration. It also takes the
    browse list a few minutes to get updated. Restart Samba to get it to reload
    the configuration right away. You may also want to make Samba win the
    election as local and master browser. Add "os level = 65" to the smb.conf
    file, then restart Samba.

+ Reply to Thread