SMB 3.0.4/5 Suddent Access is Denied - SMB

This is a discussion on SMB 3.0.4/5 Suddent Access is Denied - SMB ; OK, I've been running Samba 2.0.3 on my Sun Solaris 8 system for a long time now. Upgraded to 3.0.4 without issue. Recently my Windows XP systems could not access the Samba shares. They would authenticate, show in the mapped ...

  1. SMB 3.0.4/5 Suddent Access is Denied

    OK, I've been running Samba 2.0.3 on my Sun Solaris 8 system for a
    long time now. Upgraded to 3.0.4 without issue. Recently my Windows
    XP systems could not access the Samba shares. They would
    authenticate, show in the mapped drives, but would come up with a
    message about not being accessable "Access is Denied". As part of
    troubleshooting, I updated to 3.0.5. Didn't help. I did have one of
    my XP systems reboot and it can now access the shares, but none of the
    other ones can even after reboot. Does anyone know what's going on
    here? This is extremely fustrating and I need to be able to access
    these volumes. I have the entire share folder set for complete
    read/write/execute access for owner group and users. Even connecting
    as root comes up with this and I know the users have permissions.
    Running the smbclient on the Sun box works fine. Is there some
    Microsoft patch that could have screwed with things or something?
    Thanks.

    JR

  2. Re: SMB 3.0.4/5 Suddent Access is Denied

    Just a follow up on this. I went back to my old samba version and
    everything is working. I saw some messages about Samba and Veritas
    Backup Exec with Samba 3 however have not looked to deeply into it
    yet. Samba 3 does not provide any additional functionality that I
    personally need, so if it works with my older build, so be it.

    JR

    jriker1@yahoo.com (John) wrote in message news:...
    > OK, I've been running Samba 2.0.3 on my Sun Solaris 8 system for a
    > long time now. Upgraded to 3.0.4 without issue. Recently my Windows
    > XP systems could not access the Samba shares. They would
    > authenticate, show in the mapped drives, but would come up with a
    > message about not being accessable "Access is Denied". As part of
    > troubleshooting, I updated to 3.0.5. Didn't help. I did have one of
    > my XP systems reboot and it can now access the shares, but none of the
    > other ones can even after reboot. Does anyone know what's going on
    > here? This is extremely fustrating and I need to be able to access
    > these volumes. I have the entire share folder set for complete
    > read/write/execute access for owner group and users. Even connecting
    > as root comes up with this and I know the users have permissions.
    > Running the smbclient on the Sun box works fine. Is there some
    > Microsoft patch that could have screwed with things or something?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > JR

  3. Re: SMB 3.0.4/5 Suddent Access is Denied

    JR, I have a similar problem:

    Fedora Core 2, did not use samba as was, but upgraded first to
    3.0.5-2, from Samba site.

    Then:

    Problem:

    I cannot get samba share to grant access to my /shared
    share. I created it, gave the linux user permissions
    and tested them, my Windows XP Pro sees the share, I
    can map a drive to it, but I cannot change to it:
    Access denied is the error I get. I'm logged into
    Windows XP as the same user ID and password as on the
    Linux system.

    I had a problem when accessing the share at first with
    Windows prompting me for a userID and password, but I
    did the smbpasswd command, and got that working. Then
    I could see the shares.

    I can see the shares, I can map, for example, the J:
    drive to "shared", but cannot switch to it by typing:
    "J: enter".

    Testparm has no errors. Here are the results:

    [root@brain /]# testparm
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[shared]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = Testgroup
    server string = Samba Server
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 500
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
    SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    ldap ssl = no
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    hosts allow = 10.200.1.

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [shared]
    path = /shared
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    [root@brain /]#

    I'm using samba 3.0.5-2 on Fedora Core 2, and Windows
    XP Pro sp1, all tcp/ip.

    Have not been able to find anyone with a fix. I cannot use Samba at
    all without a fix. I feel sorry for those who are using it in
    production already and are caught by this bug.

    Please let me know if you find anything.
    Thanks.
    -Chad

    jriker1@yahoo.com (John) wrote in message news:...
    > OK, I've been running Samba 2.0.3 on my Sun Solaris 8 system for a
    > long time now. Upgraded to 3.0.4 without issue. Recently my Windows
    > XP systems could not access the Samba shares. They would
    > authenticate, show in the mapped drives, but would come up with a
    > message about not being accessable "Access is Denied". As part of
    > troubleshooting, I updated to 3.0.5. Didn't help. I did have one of
    > my XP systems reboot and it can now access the shares, but none of the
    > other ones can even after reboot. Does anyone know what's going on
    > here? This is extremely fustrating and I need to be able to access
    > these volumes. I have the entire share folder set for complete
    > read/write/execute access for owner group and users. Even connecting
    > as root comes up with this and I know the users have permissions.
    > Running the smbclient on the Sun box works fine. Is there some
    > Microsoft patch that could have screwed with things or something?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > JR

+ Reply to Thread