RPCCLIENT, where is the RegEdit Functionality gone?? - SMB

This is a discussion on RPCCLIENT, where is the RegEdit Functionality gone?? - SMB ; Hi all, i'd like to lookup the current windows username (Windows NT workstations) for simple web-logon purposes in our intranet using php/apache/samba/linux. So i'm already walking some days around to find any solution for that. SMBAuth apache module is cool ...

  1. RPCCLIENT, where is the RegEdit Functionality gone??

    Hi all,

    i'd like to lookup the current windows username (Windows NT
    workstations) for simple web-logon purposes in our intranet using
    php/apache/samba/linux.
    So i'm already walking some days around to find any solution for that.

    SMBAuth apache module is cool to _verify_ the name/password, but first i
    have to get those credentials. so i found some old rpcclient
    documentation and was happy to find some nt-server-manager like
    functionality.
    but damn, where are the functions in 3.0.0 gone found here

    http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng/ht...cclient.8.html

    I've tried to compile old 2.0.0 samba, but that fails in 'printing.c'
    I'm not a c-programmer, so you're my last chance....

    Any other solution to find out the current logged on windows nt user by
    ip/hostname using _any_ linux based tools are welcome!!!

    TIA!

    Manuel

  2. Re: RPCCLIENT, where is the RegEdit Functionality gone??

    In article , MKraus@GMX.de says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i'd like to lookup the current windows username (Windows NT
    > workstations) for simple web-logon purposes in our intranet using
    > php/apache/samba/linux.
    > So i'm already walking some days around to find any solution for that.
    >
    > SMBAuth apache module is cool to _verify_ the name/password, but first i
    > have to get those credentials. so i found some old rpcclient
    > documentation and was happy to find some nt-server-manager like
    > functionality.
    > but damn, where are the functions in 3.0.0 gone found here
    >
    > http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng/ht...cclient.8.html
    >
    > I've tried to compile old 2.0.0 samba, but that fails in 'printing.c'
    > I'm not a c-programmer, so you're my last chance....
    >
    > Any other solution to find out the current logged on windows nt user by
    > ip/hostname using _any_ linux based tools are welcome!!!

    The only means I know of, which will get a username, is to run a server
    for the ident protocol in each workstation. An ident client on your Linux
    machine can send requests to each workstation and the ident server will
    send back that info, including the currently logged on user.

  3. Re: RPCCLIENT, where is the RegEdit Functionality gone??

    Patrick Dunford schrieb:

    > The only means I know of, which will get a username, is to run a server
    > for the ident protocol in each workstation. An ident client on your Linux
    > machine can send requests to each workstation and the ident server will
    > send back that info, including the currently logged on user.

    That would mean to modificate the clients. That is impossible due the
    use of standarized workstations. There are no modifications allowed. I'm
    restricted to solve this at the server and using nt 4 standard mechanisms.
    Samba uses LM authentication mechanisms already, so there must be any
    separate solution out there.. at least rpcclient _was_ capable of that
    (registry readout).

    Does nobody ever tried to do a single sign logon using
    ntwork/apache/samba/linux environment? Are you happy with those
    additional logon boxes?
    Okay, there are possible solutions using the domain logon script, but i
    would prefer a more hardcoded and server side variant.

    Using IIS/SSI there is no problem to solve that... damn simple server
    side variable readout.

    Thanks anyway

    Manuel

+ Reply to Thread