smb mount stopped working for me in version 3 - SMB

This is a discussion on smb mount stopped working for me in version 3 - SMB ; I know that this is a simple problem coz nobody else seems to complain about it, but... Back when I had samba 2, all I had to type was: mount -t smbfs //windowsXP/share /mnt/d etc etc and it would work ...

  1. smb mount stopped working for me in version 3

    I know that this is a simple problem coz nobody else seems to complain
    about it, but...

    Back when I had samba 2, all I had to type was:

    mount -t smbfs //windowsXP/share /mnt/d etc etc and it would work

    if I do the same thing now, I don't have permission anymore to read this
    share, or even ls it. I can browse the share by using konqueror just
    fine, but I can't mount it. What am I missing?

  2. Re: smb mount stopped working for me in version 3

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:32:43 -0700, alan wrote:

    > I know that this is a simple problem coz nobody else seems to complain
    > about it, but...
    >
    > Back when I had samba 2, all I had to type was:
    >
    > mount -t smbfs //windowsXP/share /mnt/d etc etc and it would work
    >
    > if I do the same thing now, I don't have permission anymore to read this
    > share, or even ls it. I can browse the share by using konqueror just
    > fine, but I can't mount it. What am I missing?

    I do not know the answer, but I have a very similar trouble, perhaps due
    to the very same same problem at some level: With FC1 I had no trouble
    using the same type of command (the server was an OS/2 lanserver at the
    other end of an IPSEC tunnel), and everything was working just fine.
    I have upgraded to FC3 and now this does not work anymore. The strange
    thing is that the command "smbclient //there/goodies -U dude" works
    just fine on the same machine, so I know the server is alive and the
    tunnel is not plugged. It's got to be something goofy with FC3, but
    after 2 months I still don't know what it could be.

    any clue would be appreciated. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread