Samba Newbie Question - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba Newbie Question - SMB ; I need as quick an introduction to setting up Samba in Linux (Red Hat 7.3) as possible. I'm joining a small team using a hardware (router) implemented VPN over the Internet to work together while scattered about the country. Until ...

  1. Samba Newbie Question

    I need as quick an introduction to setting up Samba in Linux (Red Hat 7.3)
    as possible. I'm joining a small team using a hardware (router) implemented
    VPN over the Internet to work together while scattered about the country.
    Until now, all the work was done on Windows boxes, and file sharing was
    controlled by Windows. But they need Linux in the near future, and my limited
    Linux experience got me nominated to "pioneer" integrating (and converting to)
    Linux.

    My biggest headache so far is integrating with the Windows file/printer
    sharing, which Linux implements with Samba. I'm not even a Windows networking
    "expert", let alone one in Linux. What's the best introduction that can
    help me get Samba up and running? I understand O'Reilly has a book called
    "Using Samba". Any opinions? Any other suggestions? Any "quick and dirty"
    solutions (groan)?

    Jim
    remove "not" for email

  2. Re: Samba Newbie Question

    In article , jrankinnot@panix.com says...
    > I need as quick an introduction to setting up Samba in Linux (Red Hat 7.3)
    > as possible. I'm joining a small team using a hardware (router) implemented
    > VPN over the Internet to work together while scattered about the country.
    > Until now, all the work was done on Windows boxes, and file sharing was
    > controlled by Windows. But they need Linux in the near future, and my limited
    > Linux experience got me nominated to "pioneer" integrating (and converting to)
    > Linux.
    >
    > My biggest headache so far is integrating with the Windows file/printer
    > sharing, which Linux implements with Samba. I'm not even a Windows networking
    > "expert", let alone one in Linux. What's the best introduction that can
    > help me get Samba up and running? I understand O'Reilly has a book called
    > "Using Samba". Any opinions? Any other suggestions? Any "quick and dirty"
    > solutions (groan)?

    There is good documentation on the Samba website, including a complete
    HTML version of an O'Reilly book. I was able to install the Debian
    packages for Samba and get it going with very little effort.

  3. Re: Samba Newbie Question

    In article , jrankinnot@panix.com says...

    > My biggest headache so far is integrating with the Windows file/printer
    > sharing, which Linux implements with Samba.

    What are your issues with printer sharing?

    THe best solution is if your printers have direct networking capability
    (built in or external NIC). Samba 2 in particular does not have any
    special support for Windows printing. Best if you can install drivers in
    each workstation to print directly to a network printer without involving
    the server.

  4. Re: Samba Newbie Question

    Actually, my main requirement is to access windows directories and printers
    from Linux. The opposite case won't arise.

    I'm really looking to access Windows "anonymous" shares ... I think that's
    the correct term.

    Jim

    In article , patrickdunford@nomail.invalid says...

    >In article , jrankinnot@panix.com says...
    >
    >> My biggest headache so far is integrating with the Windows file/printer
    >> sharing, which Linux implements with Samba.

    >What are your issues with printer sharing?
    >
    >THe best solution is if your printers have direct networking capability
    >(built in or external NIC). Samba 2 in particular does not have any
    >special support for Windows printing. Best if you can install drivers in
    >each workstation to print directly to a network printer without involving
    >the server.

+ Reply to Thread