Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC - SMB

This is a discussion on Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC - SMB ; Can you change the netbios name = variable on a Samba PDC without any concequences ? I tried it on my test system, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Changing it on the production system seems to invalidate ...

  1. Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    Can you change the netbios name = variable on a Samba PDC without any
    concequences ? I tried it on my test system, and it doesn't seem to make a
    difference. Changing it on the production system seems to invalidate the
    domain. It won't allow logons until I change it back.

    Tested on both Samba 2.28 and and after upgrading to 3.04 using smbpasswd
    files.

  2. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    It is possible that the Domain-SID have changed after you changed the
    netbios name. Before you Do the change, you should check the Domain-SID with
    net rpc getsid or net getlocal sid. After this you can change the netbios
    name and check the SID again with the commands I wrote before. If the SID
    has changed, relocate it with the command net setlocalsid "Domain-SID".

    "m.marien" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Can you change the netbios name = variable on a Samba PDC without any
    > concequences ? I tried it on my test system, and it doesn't seem to make a
    > difference. Changing it on the production system seems to invalidate the
    > domain. It won't allow logons until I change it back.
    >
    > Tested on both Samba 2.28 and and after upgrading to 3.04 using smbpasswd
    > files.

  3. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    "MaWi" wrote in message
    > It is possible that the Domain-SID have changed after you changed the
    > netbios name. Before you Do the change, you should check the Domain-SID

    with
    > net rpc getsid or net getlocal sid. After this you can change the netbios
    > name and check the SID again with the commands I wrote before. If the SID
    > has changed, relocate it with the command net setlocalsid "Domain-SID".

    I gave that a try, but I should have had a look at the docs first. If I read
    correctly, GETSID retrieves the domain SID and stores it in the secrets.tdb.
    I'm guessing this is the same as SETLOCALSID. So whatever I had as the
    previous SID was probably over written when I did that. I suppose there is
    no harm running this on a Samba PDC as it probably retrieved the domain SID
    from itself and stored it back to itself so it didn't really change
    anything. I had no complaints from the users this morning so it seems to be
    working like it did previously.

    At any rate, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try to see if the
    SID is changing when I change the PDC NETBIOS name. A review of the docs
    also gives me some ideas to tweak the system. However, this time I'll do a
    backup of the /etc/samba directory before I start fiddling with the
    database.

    > "m.marien" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Can you change the netbios name = variable on a Samba PDC without any
    > > concequences ? I tried it on my test system, and it doesn't seem to make

    > > difference. Changing it on the production system seems to invalidate the
    > > domain. It won't allow logons until I change it back.
    > >
    > > Tested on both Samba 2.28 and and after upgrading to 3.04 using

    smbpasswd
    > > files.

  4. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "MaWi" wrote in message
    > > It is possible that the Domain-SID have changed after you changed the
    > > netbios name. Before you Do the change, you should check the Domain-SID

    > with
    > > net rpc getsid or net getlocal sid. After this you can change the

    netbios
    > > name and check the SID again with the commands I wrote before. If the

    SID
    > > has changed, relocate it with the command net setlocalsid "Domain-SID".
    > >

    > I gave that a try, but I should have had a look at the docs first. If I

    read
    > correctly, GETSID retrieves the domain SID and stores it in the

    secrets.tdb.
    > I'm guessing this is the same as SETLOCALSID. So whatever I had as the
    > previous SID was probably over written when I did that. I suppose there is
    > no harm running this on a Samba PDC as it probably retrieved the domain

    SID
    > from itself and stored it back to itself so it didn't really change
    > anything. I had no complaints from the users this morning so it seems to

    be
    > working like it did previously.
    >
    > At any rate, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try to see if the
    > SID is changing when I change the PDC NETBIOS name. A review of the docs
    > also gives me some ideas to tweak the system. However, this time I'll do a
    > backup of the /etc/samba directory before I start fiddling with the
    > database.

    Just an update. Changing the netbios name changed the SID. It seems that the
    domain takes on the SID of the PDC. At any rate, I changed the name of the
    PDC and inserted the old SID and it seemes to worked just fine. Again, I'll
    find out how successful I was for sure when the users try to log on Monday
    morning.

    > > "m.marien" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > Can you change the netbios name = variable on a Samba PDC without any
    > > > concequences ? I tried it on my test system, and it doesn't seem to

    make
    > > > difference. Changing it on the production system seems to invalidate

    the
    > > > domain. It won't allow logons until I change it back.
    > > >
    > > > Tested on both Samba 2.28 and and after upgrading to 3.04 using

    > smbpasswd
    > > > files.

  5. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    I want to migrate our samba3.0 PDC to a new server with a new system.
    The new server should have the same name with the old one. I do with
    "net rpc getsid" to get domain sid from old system and set this sid
    with "setlocalsid" in new server. I have built a test samba net with
    same domain name and same PDC netbios name.In this case, the client PC
    could not login in new system. I must add them with a new
    initialization to a new domain.It is terrible to add so much PCs to
    new domain.
    Last time,I have made a update from samba 2.23 to samba3.0. I just
    copy the file MACHINE.SID to new server and the PCs have not find that
    the server have changed. Now with the new samba I got unluky, the PCs
    could find out the PDC with same sid stored in *.tdb and same netbios
    name is changed.

    Who can tell me how can I do?

    Thank you very much for every Tips!

    Regard

    Li

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:<10fm36rbqhd0ie6@corp.supernews.com>...
    > "m.marien" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "MaWi" wrote in message
    > > > It is possible that the Domain-SID have changed after you changed the
    > > > netbios name. Before you Do the change, you should check the Domain-SID

    > with
    > > > net rpc getsid or net getlocal sid. After this you can change the

    > netbios
    > > > name and check the SID again with the commands I wrote before. If the

    > SID
    > > > has changed, relocate it with the command net setlocalsid "Domain-SID".
    > > >

    > > I gave that a try, but I should have had a look at the docs first. If I

    > read
    > > correctly, GETSID retrieves the domain SID and stores it in the

    > secrets.tdb.
    > > I'm guessing this is the same as SETLOCALSID. So whatever I had as the
    > > previous SID was probably over written when I did that. I suppose there is
    > > no harm running this on a Samba PDC as it probably retrieved the domain

    > SID
    > > from itself and stored it back to itself so it didn't really change
    > > anything. I had no complaints from the users this morning so it seems to

    > be
    > > working like it did previously.
    > >
    > > At any rate, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try to see if the
    > > SID is changing when I change the PDC NETBIOS name. A review of the docs
    > > also gives me some ideas to tweak the system. However, this time I'll do a
    > > backup of the /etc/samba directory before I start fiddling with the
    > > database.
    > >

    > Just an update. Changing the netbios name changed the SID. It seems that the
    > domain takes on the SID of the PDC. At any rate, I changed the name of the
    > PDC and inserted the old SID and it seemes to worked just fine. Again, I'll
    > find out how successful I was for sure when the users try to log on Monday
    > morning.
    >
    > > > "m.marien" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > make

    > the

    > smbpasswd

  6. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    "yiyue" wrote in message
    news:33215277.0408180830.7cd37bb7@posting.google.c om...
    >I want to migrate our samba3.0 PDC to a new server with a new system.
    > The new server should have the same name with the old one. I do with
    > "net rpc getsid" to get domain sid from old system and set this sid
    > with "setlocalsid" in new server. I have built a test samba net with
    > same domain name and same PDC netbios name.In this case, the client PC
    > could not login in new system. I must add them with a new
    > initialization to a new domain.It is terrible to add so much PCs to
    > new domain.
    > Last time,I have made a update from samba 2.23 to samba3.0. I just
    > copy the file MACHINE.SID to new server and the PCs have not find that
    > the server have changed. Now with the new samba I got unluky, the PCs
    > could find out the PDC with same sid stored in *.tdb and same netbios
    > name is changed.
    >
    > Who can tell me how can I do?

    Check the documentation for setting up a BDC. I think you have to duplicate
    the user database for both Linux and Samba on the new system.

    [snip]

  7. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    "m.marien" wrote in message news:<10i7phubt060r78@corp.supernews.com>...
    > "yiyue" wrote in message
    > news:33215277.0408180830.7cd37bb7@posting.google.c om...
    > >I want to migrate our samba3.0 PDC to a new server with a new system.
    > > The new server should have the same name with the old one. I do with
    > > "net rpc getsid" to get domain sid from old system and set this sid
    > > with "setlocalsid" in new server. I have built a test samba net with
    > > same domain name and same PDC netbios name.In this case, the client PC
    > > could not login in new system. I must add them with a new
    > > initialization to a new domain.It is terrible to add so much PCs to
    > > new domain.
    > > Last time,I have made a update from samba 2.23 to samba3.0. I just
    > > copy the file MACHINE.SID to new server and the PCs have not find that
    > > the server have changed. Now with the new samba I got unluky, the PCs
    > > could find out the PDC with same sid stored in *.tdb and same netbios
    > > name is changed.
    > >
    > > Who can tell me how can I do?
    > >

    > Check the documentation for setting up a BDC. I think you have to duplicate
    > the user database for both Linux and Samba on the new system.
    >
    > [snip]

    Hallo snip,thanks for your answer.
    i say, i have copied the whole users databases both passwd and
    smbpasswd includind their profiles on the new system. The same domain
    user with same password and profiles can only login the new system
    after the PC account just one more add in.Has everybody got successful
    samba3 update?

    regard
    li

  8. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    Hallo marien,
    I have made a mistake with your name. I am sorry about it. Have you
    any idea with mein problem? Or you can make a update test to see
    wether the new domain with commande net setlocalsid works. I have seen
    with net getlocalsid that, the new domain do have the same SID as old
    one.

    regard
    li
    li@neuro.ma.uni-heidelberg.de (yiyue) wrote in message news:<33215277.0408182233.705efb5a@posting.google.com>...
    > "m.marien" wrote in message news:<10i7phubt060r78@corp.supernews.com>...
    > > "yiyue" wrote in message
    > > news:33215277.0408180830.7cd37bb7@posting.google.c om...
    > > >I want to migrate our samba3.0 PDC to a new server with a new system.
    > > > The new server should have the same name with the old one. I do with
    > > > "net rpc getsid" to get domain sid from old system and set this sid
    > > > with "setlocalsid" in new server. I have built a test samba net with
    > > > same domain name and same PDC netbios name.In this case, the client PC
    > > > could not login in new system. I must add them with a new
    > > > initialization to a new domain.It is terrible to add so much PCs to
    > > > new domain.
    > > > Last time,I have made a update from samba 2.23 to samba3.0. I just
    > > > copy the file MACHINE.SID to new server and the PCs have not find that
    > > > the server have changed. Now with the new samba I got unluky, the PCs
    > > > could find out the PDC with same sid stored in *.tdb and same netbios
    > > > name is changed.
    > > >
    > > > Who can tell me how can I do?
    > > >

    > > Check the documentation for setting up a BDC. I think you have to duplicate
    > > the user database for both Linux and Samba on the new system.
    > >
    > > [snip]

    > Hallo snip,thanks for your answer.
    > i say, i have copied the whole users databases both passwd and
    > smbpasswd includind their profiles on the new system. The same domain
    > user with same password and profiles can only login the new system
    > after the PC account just one more add in.Has everybody got successful
    > samba3 update?
    >
    > regard
    > li

  9. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    "yiyue" wrote in message
    news:33215277.0408192252.54a7a79f@posting.google.c om...
    > Hallo marien,
    > I have made a mistake with your name. I am sorry about it. Have you
    > any idea with mein problem? Or you can make a update test to see
    > wether the new domain with commande net setlocalsid works. I have seen
    > with net getlocalsid that, the new domain do have the same SID as old
    > one.

    I had no problem when I updated the SID. All the systems (WinNT/2000) worked
    just fine without having to rejoin the domain. If you copied the
    passwd/shadow and sampasswd/secrets.tdb files over I would think it should
    work.

    > regard
    > li
    > li@neuro.ma.uni-heidelberg.de (yiyue) wrote in message
    >> "m.marien" wrote in message
    >> > "yiyue" wrote in message
    >> > news:33215277.0408180830.7cd37bb7@posting.google.c om...

    >> > Check the documentation for setting up a BDC. I think you have to
    >> > duplicate
    >> > the user database for both Linux and Samba on the new system.
    >> >
    >> > [snip]

    >> Hallo snip,thanks for your answer.
    >> i say, i have copied the whole users databases both passwd and
    >> smbpasswd includind their profiles on the new system. The same domain
    >> user with same password and profiles can only login the new system
    >> after the PC account just one more add in.Has everybody got successful
    >> samba3 update?
    >>
    >> regard
    >> li

  10. Re: Change the NETBIOS NAME on a PDC

    Hi! m.marien,
    I have made an another try, but I got still unluky.It is very strange,
    both domain SID,netbiosname and domainname are same, but I must rejoin
    Win PCs to
    domain. How did you update the SID? They are same, I have seen them
    with net getlocalsid.

    regards

    li

+ Reply to Thread