Samba stop responding network requests but still active !!! - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba stop responding network requests but still active !!! - SMB ; Hi all, I install a samba server (Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix) in a Linux REDHAT 8 (kernel version: 2.4.20-28.8 upgraded using redhat network RPM) as a domain controller for a windows network In this windows network there is a few windows98 and ...

  1. Samba stop responding network requests but still active !!!

    Hi all,
    I install a samba server (Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix) in a Linux
    REDHAT 8 (kernel version: 2.4.20-28.8 upgraded using redhat network RPM) as
    a domain controller for a windows network
    In this windows network there is a few windows98 and 25 windowsxp. The Pc
    can connect and authenticate to domain controller and use the server samba's
    share resources, but sometime the server stop responding to windows clients.
    Checking if process is active I give all smbd and nmd running.
    Using the samba version 3.0.2a (from redhat ft site) the problem was the
    same but more frequent !!!
    Checking logs i cannot find nothing that could explains it. Any idea ? Thank
    you, Cristian

  2. Re: Samba stop responding network requests but still active !!!

    Hi,

    > I install a samba server (Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix) in a Linux
    > REDHAT 8 (kernel version: 2.4.20-28.8 upgraded using redhat network RPM) as
    > a domain controller for a windows network
    > In this windows network there is a few windows98 and 25 windowsxp. The Pc
    > can connect and authenticate to domain controller and use the server samba's
    > share resources, but sometime the server stop responding to windows clients.
    > Checking if process is active I give all smbd and nmd running.
    > Using the samba version 3.0.2a (from redhat ft site) the problem was the
    > same but more frequent !!!
    > Checking logs i cannot find nothing that could explains it. Any idea ? Thank
    > you, Cristian

    First thing you could do is to increase log level. See man smb.conf
    to get a glue on the settings to change (log level = ...., syslog level = ....
    i think). Then you might see something in the logs.

    Another hint: use the latest samba version.
    3.0.4 or for the 2.x-branch 2.2.9. See www.samba.org.
    The reason for doing that is that versions 3.0.2a (and 3.0.3 ?)
    and the old widely used stable 2.2.8a have a misbehaviour
    when you install the most recent Windows-hotfixes.....
    (i think this mainly applys to the XP boxes).
    The new versions fix this issue afaik.
    Ok, i don't know the details, but at least it might be
    related to the problem you described...

    HTH

    Ralf

  3. Re: Samba stop responding network requests but still active !!!

    This is a short part of the log with log level 5, I think here is the
    problem.

    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 3] smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(329)
    setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 5] smbd/uid.c:change_to_root_user(217)
    change_to_root_user: now uid=(0,0) gid=(0,0)
    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(461)
    Closing connections
    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 3] smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(48)
    Yielding connection to
    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 5] smbd/oplock.c:receive_local_message(108)
    receive_local_message: doing select with timeout of 1 ms
    [2004/05/20 15:31:38, 3] smbd/server.c:exit_server(495)
    Server exit (Caught TERM signal)

    Thank you
    Cristian M.

    "Ralf Herrmann" ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:c8r8pk$h8e$07$1@news.t-online.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > > I install a samba server (Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix) in a Linux
    > > REDHAT 8 (kernel version: 2.4.20-28.8 upgraded using redhat network RPM)

    as
    > > a domain controller for a windows network
    > > In this windows network there is a few windows98 and 25 windowsxp. The

    Pc
    > > can connect and authenticate to domain controller and use the server

    samba's
    > > share resources, but sometime the server stop responding to windows

    clients.
    > > Checking if process is active I give all smbd and nmd running.
    > > Using the samba version 3.0.2a (from redhat ft site) the problem was the
    > > same but more frequent !!!
    > > Checking logs i cannot find nothing that could explains it. Any idea ?

    Thank
    > > you, Cristian

    > First thing you could do is to increase log level. See man smb.conf
    > to get a glue on the settings to change (log level = ...., syslog level =

    > i think). Then you might see something in the logs.
    >
    > Another hint: use the latest samba version.
    > 3.0.4 or for the 2.x-branch 2.2.9. See www.samba.org.
    > The reason for doing that is that versions 3.0.2a (and 3.0.3 ?)
    > and the old widely used stable 2.2.8a have a misbehaviour
    > when you install the most recent Windows-hotfixes.....
    > (i think this mainly applys to the XP boxes).
    > The new versions fix this issue afaik.
    > Ok, i don't know the details, but at least it might be
    > related to the problem you described...
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Ralf

+ Reply to Thread