Ownership of newly created objects? - SMB

This is a discussion on Ownership of newly created objects? - SMB ; How do I configure Samba so that any new object created in a particular Samba share always ends up with a particular group ownership? Example: - I have a share /home/my_project - Directory 'contracts' inside the share, and ownership: # ...

  1. Ownership of newly created objects?

    How do I configure Samba so that any new object created in a
    particular Samba share always ends up with a particular group
    ownership?

    Example:
    - I have a share /home/my_project

    - Directory 'contracts' inside the share, and ownership:
    # ls -l /home/my_project
    drwxrwx--- 2 someuser mygroup 4096 May 11 01:48 contracts

    - User 'joe' is has default group 'users', and is member of the group
    'mygroup'.

    - A new file 'new_file' is created by user 'joe' inside the
    my_projects,
    folder, and ends up with the following permissions:
    # ls -l /home/my_project/contracts
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 joe users 529 May 12 04:08 new_file

    NOTE: the ownership and permissions on the file that 'joe' created
    are
    those that 'joe's' user/group and umask dictate.

    - The relevant part of smb.conf is:
    [my_project]
    path = /home/my_project
    force group = mygroup
    create mask = 0660
    directory mask = 0770

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    --Ulf

  2. Re: Ownership of newly created objects?

    In comp.os.linux.networking arabub wrote:
    > How do I configure Samba so that any new object created in a
    > particular Samba share always ends up with a particular group
    > ownership?

    > # ls -l /home/my_project
    > drwxrwx--- 2 someuser mygroup 4096 May 11 01:48 contracts

    An easy way is to make the directory SetGID mygroup, which means that
    any new object in that group will get the group membership of the group
    of the directory.

    but 'force group' ought to work as well, I would think.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

+ Reply to Thread