Samba response slow - related to invalid guest access error? - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba response slow - related to invalid guest access error? - SMB ; The Samba setup is working just fine. Users can authenticate, mount SMB shares, create files and directories etc. Only problem is that there is a delay of one second or so between when the action initiated on the Windows client ...

  1. Samba response slow - related to invalid guest access error?

    The Samba setup is working just fine. Users can authenticate, mount
    SMB shares, create files and directories etc.

    Only problem is that there is a delay of one second or so between when
    the action initiated on the Windows client and the response from the
    server. In other words: Samba is slow! But why? The only interesting
    thing I found is the following entry in
    /var/log/samba/.log:

    [2004/05/19 05:18:56, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1082)
    Username guest is invalid on this system

    Thanks,
    --Ulf

  2. Re: Samba response slow - related to invalid guest access error?

    arabub wrote:
    > The Samba setup is working just fine. Users can authenticate, mount
    > SMB shares, create files and directories etc.
    >
    > Only problem is that there is a delay of one second or so between when
    > the action initiated on the Windows client and the response from the
    > server. In other words: Samba is slow! But why? The only interesting
    > thing I found is the following entry in
    > /var/log/samba/.log:
    >
    > [2004/05/19 05:18:56, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1082)
    > Username guest is invalid on this system
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Ulf

    Do you have a valid linux account specified as the guest account via the
    "guest account =" keyword in smb.conf ? Something like :
    guest account = ftp
    That usually works. Not sure why it would be trying to authenticate as
    guest, but maybe try looking though
    http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html

    Specifically the section on "Note about Username/password Validation"...

    --
    - Matt -

+ Reply to Thread