[SAMBA] Share path being showed instead of sharename? - SMB

This is a discussion on [SAMBA] Share path being showed instead of sharename? - SMB ; Having a slight problem with Samba running on Mandrake 10.0 and wondered if anyone had any ideas... Samba has been setup and can be viewed over the network, permissions are working fine, server name being displayed in Network Neighbourhood as ...

  1. [SAMBA] Share path being showed instead of sharename?

    Having a slight problem with Samba running on Mandrake 10.0 and wondered if
    anyone had any ideas...

    Samba has been setup and can be viewed over the network, permissions are
    working fine, server name being displayed in Network Neighbourhood as it
    should be. I would like a share called 'Documents' but cannot for the life
    of me figure out how to get it to show up on the Windows machines as a
    network folder called 'Documents'. Instead it's showing as the full path
    '/home/users/docs/.

    Any ideas or am I just being a complete muppet?

    Regards

    Daniel

  2. Re: [SAMBA] Share path being showed instead of sharename?

    Hi,

    > Samba has been setup and can be viewed over the network, permissions are
    > working fine, server name being displayed in Network Neighbourhood as it
    > should be. I would like a share called 'Documents' but cannot for the life
    > of me figure out how to get it to show up on the Windows machines as a
    > network folder called 'Documents'. Instead it's showing as the full path
    > '/home/users/docs/.
    >
    > Any ideas or am I just being a complete muppet?

    Could you please provide your smb.conf?

    Usually samba doesn't show the real path but instead an arbitraty share name.
    Maybe it's possible to judge from your smb.conf, what's up with your samba.

    Ciao

    Ralf

  3. Re: [SAMBA] Share path being showed instead of sharename?

    "Daniel H" wrote in message news:<40ab2bb2$0$6333$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>...
    > Having a slight problem with Samba running on Mandrake 10.0 and wondered if
    > anyone had any ideas...
    >
    > Samba has been setup and can be viewed over the network, permissions are
    > working fine, server name being displayed in Network Neighbourhood as it
    > should be. I would like a share called 'Documents' but cannot for the life
    > of me figure out how to get it to show up on the Windows machines as a
    > network folder called 'Documents'. Instead it's showing as the full path
    > '/home/users/docs/.

    my first thought is that sounds a difficult thing to do. You need a
    section name in smb.conf to delinieate the start of a new share, and
    it takes the share name from the section name. So I have, among
    others:
    [olddata]
    browseable = yes
    comment = Historic information, mainly due to be deleted
    create mask = 0444
    guest ok = yes
    path = /export/t3disk1/historic
    read only = yes

    and that produces:
    >net use

    Status Local Remote Network
    OK H: \\Pvserver1\olddata\ Microsoft windows network

+ Reply to Thread