Permissions problem - SMB

This is a discussion on Permissions problem - SMB ; We have a mixed network of Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro that connects to our redhat 7x server running samba 2.2.8a to share files. I'm having a permissions problem with a file on one ...

  1. Permissions problem

    We have a mixed network of Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home and
    Windows XP Pro that connects to our redhat 7x server running samba
    2.2.8a to share files. I'm having a permissions problem with a file on
    one of the shares. The share is configured thusly:
    [purch]
    comment = PURCH
    path = /home/share/purch
    read list = @sales, @vag
    write list = @adm, @mgt, @purch
    force group = +purch
    directory mask = 00
    force directory mode = 01775
    vfs object = /usr/local/samba/recycle.so
    vfs options = /etc/samba/salesrecycle.conf

    The global section of my smb.conf:
    [global]
    workgroup = RESCONET
    netbios name = RESCOSERVER
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    domain admin group = @adm
    add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine
    -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
    logon path =
    logon drive = H:
    os level = 64
    printing = cups

    We have an Excel file on the purch share that is updated by multiple
    people, all of whom are in the purch group. The permissions on the file
    are as follows:
    -rwxrwxr-- 1 ffl purch 31232 May 17 14:51 File.xls

    From Windows XP Pro using Excel 2003, I can read and save the file
    fine. From Windows 2000 and Excel 2000, another user can read and save
    the file fine. From Windows 98 and Excel 2000, a third user can no
    longer save the file, but it seems to open fine (excel doesn't warn
    about it being read only).

    The third user (Win98) used to be able to open, edit and save the file.
    Seemingly, the only difference is the users, and O/S versions being
    used. All users are members of the purch group. I've logged into the
    network using the problematic user's username and password and can open
    and save the file fine from Windows 2000, so that would seem to
    eliminate a user permissions problem. There must be something different
    about Win98 that causes it. I've tried adding "oplocks = no" to the
    [Global] section without effect.

    I'm at a loss, this should just work. Any ideas (searching google hasn't
    yielded any solutions, yet)?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Permissions problem

    Hi Tim,

    > From Windows XP Pro using Excel 2003, I can read and save the file
    > fine. From Windows 2000 and Excel 2000, another user can read and save
    > the file fine. From Windows 98 and Excel 2000, a third user can no
    > longer save the file, but it seems to open fine (excel doesn't warn
    > about it being read only).
    >
    > The third user (Win98) used to be able to open, edit and save the file.
    > Seemingly, the only difference is the users, and O/S versions being
    > used. All users are members of the purch group. I've logged into the
    > network using the problematic user's username and password and can open
    > and save the file fine from Windows 2000, so that would seem to
    > eliminate a user permissions problem.

    It might not be a permission problem.
    Have you tried to open the file read/write from your Win98 client alone
    (e.g. the file is not open on any other machine)?
    At least that should work. If it doesn't, there could really be a permission
    issue anyways. But if this works, it's likely to have a different cause.

    The Win98 Lan-Client uses another protocol (-level) as Win2k/XP do,
    so the capabilities of those protocols may be the cause for your problem.
    The logon process to your share is also different, so again there
    may be an impact on permissions.
    Anyways, it seems to me, that due to different protocols your Win98 client
    is not able to wrote the file.

    2 suggestions on that:

    - look at the log files /something like /var/log/samba/smbd.log and
    /var/log/samba/nmbd.log) and see what they say about the
    logon and actions performed on the file.

    You might need to increase log levels to see something useful.
    Try "man smb.conf" on how to do that......look for options
    like "log level" or similar.

    - Try to restrict all clients to the same protocol level.
    The [global] section of your smb.conf can hold different options
    for doing that.

    Again see man smb.conf. Look for otions "protocol", "max protocol"
    and "min protocol"

    I think if you restrict max protocol to LANMAN2, all clients
    will use the same protocol, but i'm not sure.
    Maybe some tests will be neccessary.

    One add. hint: i experienced access problems from a Win2k client,
    when i played with protocol levels some time ago...so beaware.
    But it should be possible....

    It might also be some restriction of Excel, that it doesn't allow 3 people
    to work at the same time read/write on a file....i don't know.

    HTH

    Ralf

  3. Re: Permissions problem

    On 5/18/2004 12:36 PM, I believe that Ralf Herrmann wrote:

    > Hi Tim,
    >
    >> From Windows XP Pro using Excel 2003, I can read and save the file
    >> fine. From Windows 2000 and Excel 2000, another user can read and save
    >> the file fine. From Windows 98 and Excel 2000, a third user can no
    >> longer save the file, but it seems to open fine (excel doesn't warn
    >> about it being read only).
    >>
    >> The third user (Win98) used to be able to open, edit and save the file.
    >> Seemingly, the only difference is the users, and O/S versions being
    >> used. All users are members of the purch group. I've logged into the
    >> network using the problematic user's username and password and can
    >> open and save the file fine from Windows 2000, so that would seem to
    >> eliminate a user permissions problem.

    > It might not be a permission problem.
    > Have you tried to open the file read/write from your Win98 client alone
    > (e.g. the file is not open on any other machine)?

    Yes, I've tried that. The problem persists.

    > At least that should work. If it doesn't, there could really be a
    > permission
    > issue anyways. But if this works, it's likely to have a different cause.
    >
    > The Win98 Lan-Client uses another protocol (-level) as Win2k/XP do,
    > so the capabilities of those protocols may be the cause for your problem.
    > The logon process to your share is also different, so again there
    > may be an impact on permissions.
    > Anyways, it seems to me, that due to different protocols your Win98 client
    > is not able to wrote the file.

    This sounds promising.

    > 2 suggestions on that:
    >
    > - look at the log files /something like /var/log/samba/smbd.log and
    > /var/log/samba/nmbd.log) and see what they say about the
    > logon and actions performed on the file.
    >
    > You might need to increase log levels to see something useful.
    > Try "man smb.conf" on how to do that......look for options
    > like "log level" or similar.

    OK. Will do that.

    > - Try to restrict all clients to the same protocol level.
    > The [global] section of your smb.conf can hold different options
    > for doing that.
    >
    > Again see man smb.conf. Look for otions "protocol", "max protocol"
    > and "min protocol"
    >
    > I think if you restrict max protocol to LANMAN2, all clients
    > will use the same protocol, but i'm not sure.
    > Maybe some tests will be neccessary.

    .... and that.

    > One add. hint: i experienced access problems from a Win2k client,
    > when i played with protocol levels some time ago...so beaware.
    > But it should be possible....
    >
    > It might also be some restriction of Excel, that it doesn't allow 3 people
    > to work at the same time read/write on a file....i don't know.

    It's not Excel. Excel will warn that the file is read only if another
    user has the file open, so multiple people cannot read/write on it. My
    problem is differnet in that Excel doesn't complain about being able to
    write to the file until the user tries to save the changes.

    Your protocol theory sounds like the answer.

    Off to test/experiment/learn...

    Thanks,
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread