samba difficulties - SMB

This is a discussion on samba difficulties - SMB ; Hi. I'm new to linux, and are experiencing some difficulties installing and configuring samba. I've installed samba (at least I think I have), and I've installed somthing called "webmin." Anywas, In Win XP I can se the linux pc in ...

  1. samba difficulties

    Hi.

    I'm new to linux, and are experiencing some difficulties installing and
    configuring samba.
    I've installed samba (at least I think I have), and I've installed somthing
    called "webmin."

    Anywas, In Win XP I can se the linux pc in network neighbourhood, but I
    cannot access it.

    I've got RedHat ver 9.0, and there's a saba configuration program for x-win
    installed.
    This program look easy to configure, but even so I can't seem to get it
    working.

    A step-by-step manual on the net would help me a lot if somebody knows if
    such a thing excists...

    Christian

  2. Re: samba difficulties

    Hi,

    based on th very few information you provided, i would say it's an
    authentification issue.

    There different security schemes in samba, and the "logon" process
    (which is performed when you try to access a share or server via
    network neighbourhood) closely depends on that.

    Your windows box sends a user name and password (which is used when you log
    onto Windows, even you don't have a logon at all, there is a name and pwd).
    Depending on the security scheme this user has to exist on the unix box
    or have been added to a samba user data base.

    It is very much likely, that this is your problem.
    But it's just a guess of mine.
    You should provide more information as the problem could be anywhere else.

    Info to provide might include:

    - your smb.conf
    - do the samba daemons smbd AND nmbd really run on your system?

    try "ps -Al" and check if you see both names somewhere....
    you have to be logged in as root for this to show all running processes.

    - Unix permissions of the files in your shares.....

    Ok, to get further help, try....

    - man smbd
    - man nmbd
    - man smb.conf
    - the samba project doc should be in some place like
    /usr/share/doc/packages/samba or similar.....often
    contain example smb.conf files....
    - www.samba.org (see links for documentations, FAQs,
    private How-To sites.....)

    HTH